PDA

View Full Version : Can a woman w/o a W/D be a CD Mom?

gour0
03-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Five days in and already I hate Huggies and Pampers! The Pampers fall right off his little behind and the Huggies leave that awful residue all over him! Dh thinks Cd's are a good idea, but I feel daunted by the prospect. Opinions?

mamahill
03-17-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm new to the whole CD arena, so hopefully others will have more advice on the cd front. If a diaper service is affordable, you could go that route.

I just wanted to say that the BRU brand diapers run a little smaller than the Huggies/Pampers, so getting their newborn size might help. Ainsleigh was small (5-14) to begin with, and we only had good luck with the Newborn Pampers Swaddlers for the first month. HTH.

Karenn
03-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Stacey,
I'm new to this whole CD thing too, but I have been reading all the old posts lately. I've run across a few people who do it w/o their own washer/dryer. Sorry I can't give you more advice!

Momof3Labs
03-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Stacey,

The Huggies and Pampers newborn size used to fall off of Colin's butt, too, but the size 1 did not. If you are using newborn size, you might want to give size 1 a shot.

CD'ing is an option, too, but I was also too overwhelmed at 5 days old to consider such an option! And even if you do it, you'll need something to get you through the next several days or so until you get your CD supplies.

Becky1290
03-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Re: Disposables.
Which Pampers are you using? I find the Swaddlers much better than the Baby Dry diapers. They've recently re-designed them slightly with these more elasticized tabs, and I think they fit and stay in place really, really well.

Re: CD-ing without a W/D.
Sure it's possible. Why not just use a diaper service, if you live in an area that has one? I was watching "A Baby Story" this summer, and I was charmed to see that Dy-tee Diapers (sp?--Dy-tee? Dity? Dia-tee?) is still in business. That's what my Mom used when my sister and I were babies! It's probably not as economical as doing it yourself, but it sure saves a lot of hassle!

Becky

gour0
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM
The huggies fit him really well, but I hate the gel. I've taken to 'lining' them with a paper towel just to keep it off his skin. I tried to pampers swaddlers size one and DH got soaked! Oops. Are there any other cottony generic disposables which fit like huggies without the yucky gel? Do any other dipers have that gel problem or is it strictly huggies?

MartiesMom2B
03-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Using a diaper service in the Raleigh area is about $16.00 a week, I've been told, and you get 80 diapers a week. You might be able to look up a diaper service in the phone book and talk to them about it.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

RiaHannam
03-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Walmart's brand white cloud are like Huggies without that darn gel mess (huggies is the worst for that). I hear Target's brand is good too.

I use Cd's and yes you can do it without your own w/d. Check out www.borntolove.com and somewhere on there is a page that tells you how to accomplish washing dipes in a laundromat.

I find that cd's leak much less that disposables (I know it sounds crazy but for me it's true!)

Let me know if you have more questions - I've Cd'd since 1991 and can't wait to again when my 4th baby is born in May!

Maria

sparkeze
03-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I don't have a w/d and I don't find it to be that inconvenient. I'm assuming you at least have access to a w/d though?

I have a minishower and I spray off all the poop and use a drypail. I wash about twice a week... I actually tried once a week (yes, I have enough diapers to last a week! 6-7 DOZEN!) but I just don't have the space to store a weeks worth of dirty diapers. So I usually do a load mid-week and DH does 1-2 loads on the weekends. I use about 10 diapers a day - similar to a newborn although DS is nearing a year old. Many people don't use quite that many though as the baby gets older.

It's just something I got used to. The first couple weeks it was a pain, but now it's just part of my life, KWIM?