PDA

View Full Version : What else will I need to give CD's a try?

Karenn
03-16-2003, 02:09 PM
I plan to just try things out a little and CD at home during the daytime. Right now, I'm still planning to use disposables at night, and when we go out. Colin's 9 months, 28 inches and just under 20lbs.
So, this is the "sample pack" I'm going to get (or have gotten):

Motherease Sandy's Intro Package w/airflow cover & liner
Kissaluv Fitted
Bumkins AIO
Bummies Super Whisper Wrap
Prorap
1 Chinese Prefold (DSQ), just to see what it's like.
Some kind of flushable liner

I have 12 prefolds around the house already. They're not the best quality, but I think they'll do for experimenting. Am I right? I'm holding off on Fuzzibunz since we're still using disposables at night.

I'm thinking that I might very well end up being happy with prefolds and covers. I used to use prefolds with pins all the time when I was babysitting and it was never a problem. (Still, I like the simplicity of fitteds!) The part of CDing that's always scared me is the mountains of laundry, and swishing poopy diapers! I've decided that the discipline of washing diapers will be good for me, and that disposable liners will minimize the swishing. :)

So, here are my questions:
Should I also get a Motherease onesize?
Do I need to make or buy other kinds of liners besides the disposable?
Is there a flushable/disposable liner you recommend?
Is there anything else I'm missing, or that would be really worth trying?

Thanks so much!

egoldber
03-16-2003, 02:53 PM
If the prefolds you have are the cheap ones from Target/BRU then I wouldn't use them except to practice with. They are nowehere near as soft as "real" prefolds. They are also not very big or as absorbant.

I think the key with the laundry is to have a good supply of diapers so that you don't feel "forced" to wash diapers every day or every other day. Even though I do wash every other day, since I have extras, it never feels like a burden.

I also do NOT swish. I use fleece liners at home and flushable liners when we are out and that works great for me.

As far as the ME Onesize go, while I really like them, in general the Sandies tend to be more popular. But if you like them, then they can be very economical.

I would try some fleece liners. Go to JoAnne's (or any fabric store) and buy the cheapest microfleece they have. Cut it into rectangles that are just slightly smaller than a diaper and you are good to go. It is AMAZING how well they work.

I have decided that I like the rice paper flushable liners best. I have found that they hold up better in the wash than the Kushies liner and provide ample coverage.

You may want to try a Snappi to fasten your diapers.

Another diaper option is a contour like the Kissaluvs contours. These are easier than a prefold, but do not fasten like a fitted. They are bit cheaper than fitteds.

The other thing you need is a place to store dirty diapers until wash day. Some kind of airtight container is required.

I find it more convenient with cloth diapers to use cloth wipes. that way I just throw them in the contianer with the diaper and I don't have to find a place to put a dirty wipe while I am still dealing with putting a new diaper on DD.

And remember do NOT use Desitin on your diapers or they will get stained. Also, use a very small amount of detergent or they will get detergent build-up. And no fabric softener.

HTH!

mamahill
03-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Beth is a pro, a true "been there done that" when it comes to different types of diapers. I just wanted to add that while I am using snappis, I sometimes don't because it's just as easy to lay the diaper in the cover and then velcro the whole thing together. It sounded weird when I first read about people doing it this way, but it's a LOT easier than you'd think. Also, I LOVE my FuzziBunz. It's a good thing money was an issue, or I'd be tempted to use ALL FB. I use mine at night and when I want to "treat" myself :). I think they are ingenius and they are less bulky with the liners (love my hemparoos!).

Karenn
03-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks Sarah and Beth! Lots of good ideas! I can't wait to get my diapers. I'd heard the thing about Desitin before. I'm curious though, how does white Desitin stain white diapers? Is there some sort of chemical reaction with the zinc in the wash?

lisams
03-17-2003, 01:26 PM
My first mistake was to use Desitin with CD. It left a white stain. I think the true damage is that it coats the diaper, making it less absorbant. I'm not exactly sure what ingredient it is, but I know it's not the zinc oxide. We use Burt's Bees Baby Cream, and just yesterday discovered Weleda Diaper Cream and Diaper Rash Ointment. The Weleda products smell so good!! Both Weleda and Burt's Bees have zinc oxide in their diaper rash ointments, and neither has stained our diapers.

HTH!

Lisa

egoldber
03-17-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure what the exact problem is with the Desitin products. The problem with regular Desitin is that it contains fish oils (read the label!) which really do leave an oil stain on your diaper. But I used Desitin Creamy once, thinking it would be OK since it does NOT contain the fish oil, but I had the same problem.

FYI, dishwashing detergent (like Dawn or Palmolive) will get out the stains but it was a royal pain and took a lot of hand scrubbing. I was NOT happy!

HTH,

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Beth,

I wanted to ask you a question about your liners...

How do you handle the fleece liners? Just dump any poop off into the toilet? Do you swish them or rinse them? I'm assuming you don't throw them away each time they are soiled, right? Also, about the rice paper liners, you mentioned washing them...I was under the impression that they are disposable. Can they be washed and reused? Where is the best source for them?

I think this is one of the last pieces in my "getting ready to cloth diaper" puzzle! I want to make it as simple as possible so that I'll stick with it. Not that I really have a choice now that the money's been spent! Dh lets me get away with pretty much anything but probably not that!! LOL!

egoldber
03-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Sorry for the graphic poop discussion that is about to follow! :)

The poop just "peels" right off the fleece liner into the toilet. It's pretty amazing. Even messy poops pretty much come right off. If there's a LOT left I take some toilet paper and wipe it off and flush. If there's just a bit, then I don't worry about it and just put it in the diaper pail with everything else!

The flushable liners that I have tried (Kushies and rice paper liners) can indeed by washed and re-used if they have only been pee'd on. The Kushies can usually be used at least twice. The rice paper ones seem to last indefinitely! A lot of people have the rice paper ones and I can't remember if I got mine at naturalbabies or kellyscloset.com. If I only have one or two things to order, I often order from Kelly since she has free shipping.

Now, since you will be diapering a newborn, life is a bit different! I have read that the liners don't really work with newborn poops. A lot of people just dump newborn diapers (poop and all) in the pail and wash away with good results.

HTH,

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks! Luckily, most of us aren't too offended by graphic poop discussions! LOL! One of the many things that changes when you become a mom. :-)

I have one fleece liner that I got as a freebie when I ordered something from Amber at Darling Diapers. I think I'll give it a try but I agree with you that newborn breastfed poops are a whole other matter! From everything I've read, they are very "washable" (for lack of a better term!). I'll probably wait on the liners til she's a little older and starting solids but I'm glad to find out exactly how to use them since I was slightly confused! Thanks again!