PDA

View Full Version : Pampers or Huggies (diapers)?

1st Time Mommy
03-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Which do you prefer?

bnme
03-13-2003, 09:05 AM
I prefer Pampers Swaddlers, hands down. There are many interesting threads on this, if you do a search.

I started with the NB swaddlers that had the notch. At first, he was leaking out of them alot, I think it may have had to do with the notch and his yet-to-heal circumsicion. I know several people with boys who had this problem.

I prefer the Swaddlers, although a little more expensive, because of their softer fabric-like material. I don't like the papery feel of the Huggies or the Baby Dry and I find the Baby Drys elastic to be plastic-y and irritating to my sons legs. I have had no problem with leaking or anything with any of them, though. I have been lucky to have alot of coupons for Pampers so far! (and 2.50 off at TRU until 3/30!). I also find the Pampers (both Baby Dry and Swaddlers) to be more generously cut.

I don't like the Huggies with the very strechy sides (not sure which ones)...I am wondering how I will like the Cruisers when he moves up to size 3.

momathome
03-13-2003, 09:16 AM
I also think Pampers are tops. I have used both the Baby Dry and the Swaddlers/Cruisers and think that they both work well. I preferred the Baby Dry when my dd was tiny and going through 10 diapers a day, but now that she's 2 and diaper changes average more around 5 a day, we use the Cruisers. Good luck!
-Lauren

Andrea S
03-13-2003, 09:18 AM
We like pampers cruisers.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

MinnieMouse
03-13-2003, 09:55 AM
They had Pampers in the hospital when Beth was born and they totally swam on her. After reading everywhere that what diaper we used was going to be dependent on which one fit our child best....I had prepared by getting ONE package each of Newborn Huggies and Newborn Pampers. We opened the Huggies when we got home and they fit SOOOO much better.

At almost 20mo now we are still using Huggies. We have tried Pampers off and on and I don't have a problem with them..they fit pretty much the same, but dh doesn't like the baby powder smell of them. Huggies work great for us...I can count the time they've leaked on one hand over the past 20mo...and generally when they start leaking poopy diapers out the top, that means it's time to move up to the next size...at least for us.

Over time we've been given free promo diapers of various brands and I really didn't like any of them....and I have a philosophical problem with Luvs in the fact that I don't want the purple dinosaur in my house :-). The premium diapers for both Huggies and Pampers don't warrant the cost IMHO...diapers are pricey enough without having to pay more for luxury ones...especially when the regular ones work just fine.

I suggest getting one pack of each and figuring out which one fits your baby the best once s/he arrives. Oh...and just so you know BRU will let you exchange any unopened pack of diapers with another pack....we brought back the unopened Newborn Pampers and swapped them out for Huggies.

HTH

Christine

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 09:58 AM
We tried pampers but DS leaked out every opening....so then we switched to Huggies. We also found that for a lower price, the Target brand (can't think of the name) is modeled after Huggies, so we've used those when possible. HTH!

egoldber
03-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Of the disposable brands, we found that Pampers style diapers fit DD the best. While the Pampers Cruisers feel nice, we found that Pampers BabyDry and Luvs (virtually identical to BabyDry) work just as well for us.

Huggies and Huggies style diapers did not fit her right.

I now use cloth 90% of the time and it works terrific. :)

Karenn
03-13-2003, 11:56 AM
We use Huggies, mostly because the smell of Pampers (and Luvs) makes me sneeze. Some people don't notice the smell, but it's just one that gets to me.

trumansmom
03-13-2003, 12:12 PM
My best friend says the same thing, but I switched to Pampers from Huggies because of the way Huggies smell. As soon as the first drop of urine hits Huggies, I think the whole room smells really musky and gross.

Isn't strange how different smells affect everyone differently?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

Momof3Labs
03-13-2003, 12:31 PM
I preferred Pampers Swaddlers while Colin was in sizes 1 and 2 (he never fit in the newborn ones - and was only 8lbs, 4oz at birth). Baby Dry were fine, too, but if I had a Swaddlers coupon, I preferred them. Huggies fit him terribly when he was small. When he outgrew the size 2's, we tried Cruisers - and they were HUGE on him (the leg holes hung halfway down to his knees). Plus, I felt that they were stiffer than Swaddlers.

So, we tried Huggies Supreme and found a good fit with them. But I don't like the way that they smell like urine the minute he pees. And the gel balls are unappealing, too.

We are now embarking on the great cloth diaper experiment, and have a few that have worked for us and a few that haven't. I have a few more on order that I will try, then we will pick one or two styles to go forward with. My plan is to cloth diaper 90% of the time, but we will probably continue to use disposables when we are out.

shibababy
03-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Honestly, I don't like either. Please give Target's Loving Touch, or second best, Wal-Mart White Cloud brands a try. No chemical scent, not too expensive. No leaks.

MartiesMom2B
03-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks for this tip. I was going to post a question on whether store brand diapers work as well as the premium brands, and if there are any major differences that are noticible.

Any more feedback on storebrand diapers?

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Momof3Labs
03-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Sonia,

You might want to search the archives as there has been a lot of discussion on store brand diapers in the past. No surprise, perhaps, that some brands work for some people and don't work for others. Not much different than the Huggies/Pampers debate!

smomom
03-14-2003, 08:10 AM
I have to place my vote for Huggies ultra-trim. I haven't noticed a problem with the smell, and I love the velcro closure.

Tondi G
03-14-2003, 03:04 PM
We are a HUGGIES family!!!! Ultratrims... we used the overnights when DS was leaking at night for a while... worked great and solved our problem! I can't stand the smell of Pampers...YUCK! I also like the velcro tabs on the huggies better!

It honestly depends on the child....they come in all shapes and sizes! LOL

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

atlbaby
03-14-2003, 04:03 PM
I used Huggies for the Newborn size and they were fine since Arielle was so tiny, but when a friend gave me a package of Pampers stage 1 I tried those and they fit her much better. I've been using Pampers (now the Cruisers, first the Swaddlers) ever since, and I love them!

While we are on the topic, for those of you with yound toddlers when did they graduate to stage 5s? The weight ranges overlap so much, it's hard to tell! Arielle has been in 4s for nearly 9 months I'd say and she's got plenty of room still. Just wondering...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Melanie
03-14-2003, 04:33 PM
As a newborn, Ds didn't really fit the Pampers or Huggies or Tushies. We found White Cloud to be perfect! Then his diaper-covered skin turned all red in about a day. Then we found Target's Loving Touch. These are tops! Once Ds chunked up a bit we switched to Pamper's Cruisers b/c of the stretchy sides. We felt we could get a tighter non-gaping fit.
Then we switched to cloth. They're also nice & stretchy! ;-)

I also tried Huggies stretchy-sided diapers and they don't stretch nearly as much as the pampers, plus all the gel actually coming out onto my child was not pleasing. I don't know if the Pampers are actually better for their skin or not, since the gel doesn't come out.

With Disposables, I always moved up a size after we had a couple of blow-outs up the back, in a row.

Mommy to Jonah
Mommy to Jonah

brubeck
03-14-2003, 08:21 PM
My daughter stayed in both 3s and 4s for a LONG time. She was also in 5s for a long time and was about ready to go into 6s but we moved to potty-training and Easy-Ups.

I don't remember how old she was at the switches, but she was usually ready when she hit the bottom weight limit for the next size up. I could tell visually because the diaper would come well below her bellybutton and the tabs would be tight across the middle.

SASM
03-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Oh...A HOT topic! We prefer Huggies Ultrathins as opposed to the Supremes. The Ultrathins seem larger than the Supremes, plus the Supreme's stretchy sides are very annoying ~ more hinder than help. We haven't had any leaks and they just "feel" like they would be more comfortable for Ian. The hospital used Pampers and I didn't like them (can't put my finger on why, though).

We also use Fragrance-free Huggies wipes. Both the NaturalCare and Supremes are great alhough I do prefer the Supremes, which are thicker. Sometimes YOU just need that little extra protection... :-) HTH!

shibababy
03-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Just tried a sample 2-pack of the Pampers Cruisers, they were nice. I'd buy them if I found them for a good price. I have had extensive experience with Huggies. My nieces use those. Aside from the gel that is often left on the tushy, I can't stand the smell of them. My niece spent the night here and I HAD to get up and change her in the middle of the night because I couldn"t take that strong urine smell another minute (this is a baby that sleeps all night). The Target brand is still my top choice though.