PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Champ or Diaper Genie???

1st timeparents
02-28-2003, 03:28 PM
OK - so we stood pondering the difference between the champ & the genie as we were registering. Any thoughts? Does the champ really cut the smell as well as the genie? I know with the genie there is the added cost of the cartridges.....at any rate....love to hear your thoughts?

Karen
1st timeparents

flagger
03-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Hi and welcome to the message boards.

We are awaiting our first and have registered for the Dekor, but others prefer the Champ. Ms. Flagger picked up a Genie at a garage sale for $2.

Here are some threads about this subject. HTH

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=408&forum=DCForumID1

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=84&forum=DCForumID1

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=227&forum=DCForumID3

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=135&forum=DCForumID3

egoldber
03-01-2003, 11:08 AM
I have and really like the Genie. I have since switched to cloth, so I only use it now for the occasional random disposable diaper I happen to use. As a result, my diapers often sit in the Genie for WEEKS before I empty it and absolutely no smells. Some people think they are complicated, but with a little practice it is very easy.

Just food for thought, several of my mommy friends in my playgroup have the Champ and they all liked it until recently. Now that their babies have become inquisitive toddlers, they have learned how to operate the Champ. Some of my mom friends have found shoes, toys, etc. in their Diaper Champs.

HTH,

Melanie
03-01-2003, 06:49 PM
hahaha!! Yes my inquisitive toddler loves his diaper champ...he still cannot 'open' it though, and I don't know if he will be able to. He likes to flip it back and forth and take his clean cloth wipes out of the warmer to flip into the champ. Ours doesn't really latch since I have a thick-reusable bag in it for cloth diapers now. If it was for disposables and quickly wisked out to the trash like previously, I'd always wonder when we end up missing things! He also likes to fill his hamper with stuff, and the kitchen trash - we have to watch him closely with that one!

Anyway...I say go for the Champ b/c you don't have to buy expensive refills. It works well for odor IF you always keep the same side facing outwards.

Mommy to Jonah

plum
03-03-2003, 04:50 PM
We've had no problems with the Champ. Granted, you have to change it at least once a week, but you can use regular garbage bags, not expensive refills. My husband also puts a stickup in it, as well as sprays it with Lysol when he changes it.

All of the diaper pails are made of plastic, and I would imagine that with time, the plastic will absorb the smell. But it's been almost 7 months now, and we're still on our first champ.

kel
DS 8-13-02

Rachels
03-04-2003, 11:43 AM
I love the Champ, too. 9 months here, and no problems yet!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kclm
03-07-2003, 08:36 PM
We have the Genie, and we love it. Haven't tried the Champ, though, so we don't really have anything to compare the Genie to.

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

JElaineB
03-08-2003, 05:32 PM
We have the Diaper Genie, and it does work. No odors or anything. However, there aren't really any odors yet if we just toss the diapers in the regular trash can, as our son is less than 6 months old. His diapers just don't stink that bad, and he is formula-fed too. I can't say that using the Diaper Genie has been worth it yet. We actually haven't gone through that many refills, maybe 1 a month or less using the Genie for maybe half of the diapers. I am wondering once my son starts solids if using the special refills for the Genie will seem more worthwhile for cutting down the odor. If not, I might just buy a regular step on trash can for his diapers and stop buying the refills. Probably if I had to do it all over again I would get the Diaper Champ, although I have no idea how well it works.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob born 9/27/02

ham1299
03-09-2003, 02:26 AM
I used to work at a daycare center, and we used the diaper genie in the classrooms for infants and toddlers. No smell at all, and that's a LOT of diapers! lol I plan to have the diaper genie when my baby arrives in June. Yes, you need the refills, but you can use the Genie for just the poopy diapers and throw the wet ones in the trash.

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

stillplayswithbarbies
03-09-2003, 01:37 PM
What about the Diaper Dekor? how does that compare to the Diaper Genie?

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or a boy with no name if we don't make up our minds soon, EDD March 21

jodica12
03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
I have been a nanny for over 10 years and in that time i do belive i have used every means of disposing of diapers that there is. I LOVE the genie and have bought it for my first baby. Once you have used it there is no comparison. The cost of the refills are well worth it. The last family i worked for had a toddler son and then twins after him.When the twins were born the mother asked the father to run out and pick up another diaper genie and to our dismay he came back with the Champ. It controlled the odors just ok but was such a hassle in so many other ways. In my humble opinion....if you dont want to spen money on the refills for the Genie then wrapping the dirty diapers in a plastic bag and throwing them in the reg garbage works just as well as the champ.