PDA

View Full Version : I need your recipe for sucess - removing bf poop from CDs and other q's

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 12:51 PM
In day two of the great CD experiment, Colin decided to push things to the limit and poop - not once, but twice. I'm following a suggestion that I got that makes sense, but want some more input.

I washed the poopy diapers once on cold. There still is a LOT of stain left, so I was reluctant to put them through a hot wash (didn't want to set the stain). The next suggested step was a hot wash for all diapers (wet and poopy) and then repeat the hot wash for all. I stopped after the cold wash and set my still-poopy diapers aside until I get some advice.

BTW, I love the Crickett's hemp - the elastic is nice and snug, perfect for my string bean. The Prorap classics covers work well for us (so do Bumpy day covers, but they are way too expensive when Proraps are just as good). The Bumkins AIO works well, too. I just received the Fuzzi Bunz (it is in the wash) and the Motherease is on its way. Lukes Drawers are wonderful - so soft and such nice soakers, but just too baggy in the legs for Colin. They didn't even come close to holding in a small bf'ed poop (but the Proraps cover did its job and stopped it in its tracks).

While I am here - I have one other question. When using a fitted + a cover, is it normal for the fitted to be soaked through (to the cover, not through the cover) after only a couple of hours? I don't want to put in more doublers because CDs are bulky enough as is, but was wondering about this. I was going under the assumption that as long as Colin's clothes stayed clean and dry, I was doing okay. But I was kinda wondering about this as it wasn't what I expected (I never thought of Colin as a super-soaker).

Thanks again!!

C99
03-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I don't know if this will help, but this is what I sometimes do: wash once on cold using Tide and Biz non-chlorine bleach. If the diapers are particulary stained, I will stop the washer and just let them soak for 30 minutes or so. Then wash on hot and stick them in the dryer.

Also, Nate usually soaks one of the fitteds in the night, but we don't use any doublers. I didn't think of it as being an issue since he does have the Prowrap cover over it.

HTH

egoldber
03-09-2003, 03:03 PM
I find a few things to be key to removing stains including soaking and making sure the diapers can sufficiently agitate. Here are some things that help me:

1) My machine has an option for a 2 hour soak cycle. I turn this option on for the cold cycle. If you don't have this option, you could lift the lid for 2 hours just after the wash cycle starts.

2) Make sure the machine is only about 2/3 full of diapers and then set the machine's water level for a "full" cycle.

If she has had some particularly nasty poops, I use some Biz in the hot cycle.

And it is "normal" for the diaper to be soaked and the cover to be fine. If Colin is a very heavy wetter, you may need a doubler or a more absorbant diaper.

HTH,

KathyO
03-09-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't get too bent out of shape about stains (anyone who's peeking at the inside of my baby's diaper gets what they deserve), but I've found that stains can be largely headed off at the pass by spritzing them well with a spray bottle filled with a mix of water and liquid laundry detergent. Hit them before they go into the diaper bucket, and then when they go to the wash, they're already partway there, so to speak.

I also throw a bit of Borox into the occasional load for deodorizing purposes, but I think it boosts the cleaning power of the detergent as well.

Good luck!

Cheers,

KathyO

sntm
03-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Where do you buy the Crickett's diapers? Have heard lots of recs lately. Also, where is the best place to buy prowraps? Are the seconds just as good?

Thanks!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Melanie
03-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Well, I have toddler poop and it's not everyday, but here's what I do:
Dump/scrap anything with a piece of TP into toilet.
Spray with Bio-Kleen's BAC-OUT. Let sit for a couple of minutes.
Do a cold soak or just a cold pre-wash. They don't usually look 100% after this. Next I spray with more Bac-Out, set them aside while the washer fills (my Hot water is SLOW) and wash them on hot with the rest of the diapers. I only have 1 diaper which is stained. I had done an overnight cold soak in Bac-Out only. I don't know if it was that or the raisins (Sorry if that's TMI!), but it has just never ever come clean. Strange dark-purpley spots.

Ds' fitteds are usually soaked through after a couple of hours. I don't like it when the soak through and up to the waist. When they do that I consider them not absorbant enough for Ds (assuming he was changed regulary).

I had him in just a fitted today for about 3 hours. It was dry on the outside. I checked twice and he hadn't peed (I guess I was just hoping this particular diaper was ultra-absorbant or something). Then suddenly...soaked through. At least I feel better now that Ds is just a big-wetter and I'm not a deliquent-diaper-changer when they're wet through.

I got my cricketts at www.juliestuff.com, but I didn't price compare, it was sort of an impulse. And FYI, they were really low-rising on my toddler so I traded them (they worked fine, I just don't like droopy-diapy syndrome). He's got a high-rise though.