PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite cloth wipes? How do you store them?

Kate888
02-25-2003, 10:38 PM
I just started using cloth diapers a month ago :) and now I'm thinking about using cloth wipes, too. Do you have a favorite? How many do I need?

Editted to add:
How do you store them? Do you make special solutions to keep the wipes moist?

Thanks for the help!!

Kate
Mom to Maya 2-17-02

egoldber
02-25-2003, 10:41 PM
I use super cheap baby washcloths that I got on the clearance table at Baby Depot. I have been very happy with them. I have about 4 dozen, but I use a LOT of wipes per change (I always have even with disposables), I use them for other things (face wipes after meals, etc.) and I have two changing areas.

HTH,

corrie
02-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm due today so I can't yet comment with experience but I have 2 dozen fleece/velour wipes that I got from happytushies.com Many WAHMs make wipes in your choice of fabrics. I've heard that it's helpful to have at least one side of the wipe be something with a nap to grab the poop. Usually terry, velour, or sherpa is suggested for this, then you can have a flannel or knit on the other side to clean up and for the cuteness factor.

As for storage/solutions, I bought an extra peri bottle online (50 cents) and I plan to fill that with water and then perhaps a dash of things like baby wash, essential oils, aloe, cold pressed oil, etc. I'll wet the wipes as I use them. I would have liked the solution in the wipes warmer idea but I don't feel like dealing with bacterial growth, needing to clean out the warmer regularly, etc.

At the moment, I have a plastic shoe box on the shelf of our combo dresser with hutch. In it I have our cloth wipes, the peri bottle, Weleda calendula cream, California Baby diaper rash cream, a cornstarch based baby powder, etc. Next to this shoebox I have 3 small plastic stacking bins (approx. 3"deep 4"wide, 3" high) One has cotton balls, one has snappis/pins, and the third will probably have q-tips/alcohol swabs or whatever else seems good to have handy.

HTH.
-Corrie

janinegillot
02-26-2003, 12:50 PM
I haven't had my baby yet, but I ordered velour/flannel wipes from darlingdiapers.com that are very nice. They were about 80 cents each and you get to choose the fabric patterns. She also sells velour changing table covers for $10 that I'm excited about using. It seems so much nicer than the terry ones.
Janine

egoldber
02-26-2003, 12:56 PM
I store mine in an old disposable wipes container. I use tap water and a few drops of tea tree oil to make a solution. I get the tea tree oil at Target.

HTH,

Melanie
02-26-2003, 09:43 PM
I got a couple packages of the cheapy washcloths, as per Beth's suggestion, and keep them in my wipe warmer. I have been playing around with various ingredients for my solution, nothing I can totally recommend yet. I have a few of the nice velour WAHM-type that I've gotten for free with orders. I am supposed to get some velour/knit ones from a WAHM that had a really good opening deal, someday.

Mommy to Jonah

Kate888
02-26-2003, 10:20 PM
(Editted to add:
Sorry, this is supposed to go under thread #2. Don't know what happened.)

Wow, due today :) you are very well-prepared for this baby!! Thank you for the suggestions. I miss using my cute changing table, had to stop using it when DD was able to roll over and tried to escape from it everytime I changed her.

Good luck with the delivery! Please let us share your joy when the little one is here :)

Kate

Kate888
02-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone! I checked out the WAHM's websites and saw some really cute wipes. I'm using the cheap white washcloths to clean DD's face after meals. After a while, they all turn yellow or gray, even after I washed them with Oxiclean. Do your washcloths stay white? That's why I'm a little hesitant about using them for diaper changes, for fear they will look dirty soon (the WAHM's wipes has deeper colors). Any suggestions?

TIA,

Kate

egoldber
02-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Hmm. I do not have that problem. Other than the designs on them getting a bit faded from being washed numerous times, they are still perfectly white.

Do you have a problem keeping whites white in general? It could be a water issue or a detergent build up.

HTH,

Kate888
02-27-2003, 03:58 PM
>>
>Do you have a problem keeping whites white in general? >

Nope. Guess it's a mystery then. The secret stain...

Kate

parkersmama
02-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I think it could be the foods that you are wiping off! We have always fed prunes at least once a day and used baby washclothes for cleanup. Almost all of our washcloths are grayish and I think it's from the prunes.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

egoldber
02-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Interesting. I must say I have never fed Sarah prunes, so I wouldn't know!

parkersmama
03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
LOL! My kids loved them (they are pretty sweet) and we've never had a problem with constipation, if you know what I mean! :-)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003