PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk disposable diapers again!

Momof3Labs
02-19-2003, 07:52 PM
I can't believe it - I think that we are crossing the fence from Pampers fans to Huggies fans!

I've sworn by Pampers Swaddlers (or Baby Dry - but I prefer Swaddlers) since Colin was born. He got plumbers crack in Huggies, so I didn't bother with them. Well, at 4 months, he was about 14 pounds and 27" - a real string bean. He's within the weight limit for size 2 Swaddlers, but they just seemed to be getting small on him - probably because of his height.

So we moved up to size 3 Cruisers. What's up with these??? They are much longer than size 2, and the leg holes practically hang down to his knees (well, not quite). We just could not get these to fit!

So I donned a wig and dark glasses, and bought a pack of size 3 Huggies Overnights to try. They were a little better but were still big in the legs. What to do now??

The answer? Huggies Supreme, size 3. They fit him beautifully!! And I love that the tabs are softer than Pampers Swaddlers/Cruisers - we used to have to be careful that the tabs wouldn't scratch his tummy or legs, but the Huggies tabs are so soft that it isn't a problem.

The good news is that Huggies are on sale a lot, and I have a lot of coupons (most of my friends and fellow moms on my Babies Born in October board use Pampers). The bad news is that these are still kinda pricey diapers. So, I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should try? Will I like Ultratrims as much, or is it kinda like the Swaddlers vs. Baby Dry thing? How about the generics - I hated them when he was small, but are they worth a shot now?

I'm also wondering if I should return my unopened Cruisers stash (sizes 3 and 4), or do you think that he'll grow into them? I may just bring them back to BRU - I can always buy them back again!

And, heck, we haven't talked disposable diapers in a while!

Karenn
02-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi Lori,
Welcome to huggies! :) Don't have a bunch to say, but I have found that the Supremes run smaller than the Ultratrims in terms of how they fit Colin. He was ready for the next size much sooner with supremes. So since they seem to be sized a little differently, I doubt you'll get the same good fit if you switch to Ultratrims. Also, I have noticed that the Ultratrim tabs can irritate his tummy if I don't fasten them right- I don't remember how they compare to the Supremes tabs though. If you do switch to Ultratrims, we get a pretty decent deal on them at Costco. Where did you find your Overnights, my grocery store doesn't ever seem to carry them.

Momof3Labs
02-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Karen,

I found the Overnights at Walgreens. Wal-Mart had them too. I picked them because they were a better deal than Supremes or Ultratrims - higher count package (old packaging, I think) for the same price.

Sounds like the Ultratrim tabs are like the Pampers tabs - a thicker plastic, kinda? The Supreme tabs are the same soft stuff as the sides - very nice! But if they run small, we may not be wearing them quite as long - hmmm. We don't have Costco here, but I will check Sam's Club for Supremes.

danielleh
02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I have been using ultratrims since DS was a few weeks old and have had pretty good luck leak-wise. The tabs are not plastic like the baby drys. They are a similar material to the rest of the diaper and the velcro part of the tab is attached to the body of the diaper with a stretchy tab, which I find makes it easier to get a good fit.

HTH,
Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

bnme
02-20-2003, 11:18 AM
I am a Pampers Swaddlers lover. I am only up to size 1 but I really prefer these to the Huggies Ultra Trim (haven't tried Supremes) and especially Baby Drys. I really don't like the Baby Drys. I find the elastic edges to be very plasticy and more likely to leave marks on baby's skin. I also find that the tabs stick to this plasticy part and rip the diaper if you are not careful. No to mention his skin-oouch!

Huggies Ultra Trim are my second choice. I like their tabs and the Pooh designs. :+ I actually find that they fit DS a little better than the Swaddlers (I guess they seem trimmer or less bulky - DS was exactly at the 50% in height and weight at 6wk visit-10lbs2oz, 23inches) but I am won over by the Swaddlers softness. I think he will out grow Huggies quicker, though. Or at least that is what happened when moving from NB to 1 - I just didn't have enough diaper to wrap around properly anymore.

Pampers seem to cost a little more (.06 more per diaper at BJs-not considering coupons), but I think I will stick with them for now. Its a shame there coupons seem so rare. I used a Huggies $1 off at BRU and they took it for a Pampers purchase - I don't know if it was luck or what but I will try it again! It made them the same cost per diaper as BJs.

BTW, I don't find any difference in absorbency.

I guess this is an evolving thing-as babies needs/size change the diapers seem to change, too. I think I will shy away from purchasing to much at BJs if I can since I don't want to end up with an extra load of diapers. My SIL keeps supplying me with her extras as my 5month old nephew outgrows them. Maybe if I get them only when DS first moves into that size....

brubeck
02-20-2003, 11:56 AM
I am a total Pampers Mom. I tried Huggies on both my kids and got so many leaks it just wasn't worthwhile to keep the Huggies: I was doing laundry too much!

I do find that the Huggies tend to size smaller than Pampers. Both my kids seem to move up in Pampers sizes when they have barely reached the bottom weight limit on the next size. Both kids are tall and skinny.

You probably want to hold onto the Pampers stash for now because once your little guy starts moving around (sitting, srawling, etc.) the Pampers Cruisers are awesome. I got free sample bags of Luvs and Huggies when my daughter was crawling and they would gap all the time, causing leaks, but the Cruisers never did. I didn't even finish the free bags.

Another FYI: it may seem like your son will be out of size 3 before he crawls. Probably not. Sizes N, 1 and 2 flash by but your baby will be in size 3 (and 4 and 5) for a LONG time. So keep the size 3 Cruisers!

Tondi G
02-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Just so you know... HUggies re-designed the Ultratrims and they are much like the Supremes! They added an elastic waist band and the fit is much better..... look for the new packaging!

We've been huggies fans since Mason was born 7/8/01! Been through UT's, Supremes and Overnights (when he was leaking at night out of everything... Pampers included, these did the trick!)

Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Huggies!!!! Sign up on their website to recieve diaper coupons in the mail!

~Tondi

westgre
02-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Well, I wish i had the option of trying different diapers... When my DD was born, I used the Pampers Swaddlers because of the umbilical cut out, but I also received Huggies newborn at my shower. So, when I used all my Pampers up, I tried the Huggies. Big mistake! She screamed at the top of her lungs after I put the Huggies on. I tried everything to quiet her -- feeding, rocking, swaddling, etc. She only stopped when I removed the Huggies and got more Pampers for her. Later, when she grew into size 1 I decided I'd try the Luvs because I read they're made by the same company and fit like Pampers, but were less expensive. Well, she screamed at the top of her lungs again! Can you believe it? I then packed up all the diapers I got from my shower and traded them in for Pampers. I haven't had the nerve to try anything else again. Hopefully, the Pampers will work for us through her diaperhood.
On a side note, have you noticed that the Swaddlers and the Baby Dry fit differently? I love the softness of the Swaddlers, but the Baby Dry seem to fit her better. :(

charigot
02-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi Lori! Our Nic is built like Colin. He's 6 months old and 18 lbs, 29". He has barely any baby fat--just on his cheeks and thighs. He is 50th percentile for weight and 97th for height. Anyway, I have used Luvs for awhile (just like Pampers but cheaper), and then I recently took a leap of faith to save even more money and bought the Smiles brand diapers at Sam's club. They fit him very well. They have elastic around the waste in the back, which is nice since he doesn't have a fat stomach and the fabric on these diapers is a lot like Luvs. Suffice it to say, I like them. They were $23 for a box of 160. We have size 3 and they seem just a big smaller than Luvs; if you'd like, I can mail you a sample to try so you don't have to buy a whole box yourself!!

Jen & Nic
http://www.braico.com/nic/nicphotos.htm

gravymommy3
02-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Lori,

I have been back and forth between Huggies and Pampers. I love the higher-end Pampers (swaddles and cruisers and whatever their predecessor was) but I am not wild about the Baby Drys (they are better now that they don't have so much plastic but it is harder to get a good fit). I hate the Huggies Supreme (just always seem to have more leaks and blowouts) but I do like the regular Huggies. I finally switched to all Pampers after getting ahold of a bad batch of Huggies. The tabs kept ripping off the diaper. I must have had about 30 out of a pack of 70 or 80 (or whatever the count was) do that and Huggies just wanted to send me coupons to purchase more of their product. Uh, no thanks.

I have tried Luvs and they are ok, not great and I have tried White Cloud (hated them!).

What kind of wipes do most of you like? I really like the Huggies Supreme care or the regular Huggies, but hate the Pampers wipes (it figures because there are all kinds of Pampers wipes coupons in the paper and hardly any for Huggies wipes.) Are there any cheaper brands that someone can recommend?

Thanks

Amy

PS - keep you eyes open for Kroger and Eckerd when they have the Mega packs on sale for $10.99 - with coupons, it works out fairly cheap.

charigot
02-21-2003, 08:10 PM
The wipes we get, again from Sam's Club, are really cheap. $8 for a box with 480 wipes (six 80-count packs.) A dispenser tub comes in each box, and then you fill it with the packs. The wipes are all natural with no alcohol in them. My son has very sensitive skin and excema and these wipes have not bothered him a bit.
-Jen

gravymommy3
02-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Jen,

Are they thick? I have a 3 y/o who is not interested in potty training. His diapers can run you out of a room so I need thick wipes (or I will have to go through a box a diaper :) ) How do you think they compare to Huggies wipes? Looking for a way to cut down on that expense, but if I have to use more per diaper, then I am cutting my own throat...

Thanks for the response Jen.

Amy

charigot
02-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Hi! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I haven't used Huggies wipes in awhile, but did on Saturday. That said, they aren't as thick as HUggies, but I still only use one per wet diaper and two for a soiled one. Hope that helps.

Added: I'm not exactly sure on why thicker means it will clean up a soiled baby better. It's not like they are meant to absorb like toilet paper. They are meant to wipe clean (hence, "wipes"!) That said, I really like the ones we use and the price can't be beat.

MelissaTC
02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I have tried what it seems like every wipe out there and my absolute favorites are the parents choice wipes sold at Wal-Mart. They are awesome! VERY soft, not soapy, perfect size and one wipe can clean up a lot. I think that the TRU/BRU newborn brand are very similar. We started out with Huggies Naturals, worked our way to Pampers Naturals, tried Target, Wal-Mart brand, and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head. But hands down, Parents Choice rocks. And they are cheaper than Pampers & Huggies!

gravymommy3
02-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Without trying to totally gross you out,

Thicker wipes (the Huggies Supreme Care are what we use) seem to "catch" on to what needs to be removed better than thinner wipes. THe thinner ones seem to smear it around a little more and there is always the chance that your fingernail will poke through the wipe. I did buy the only "store" brand wipes I saw at Sams. They did not have a container in the box to refill but I have big baggies, so not a big deal. They seem to be just slightly thinner than the regular Huggies wipes, so they will do, but I really miss the Supreme Care ones (which also have ripples in them to help grab on). Oh well, all in the name of saving money...

Thanks again for your response.

Amy

charigot
02-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Or make your own! Economical and YOU control the quality!
http://allsands.com/Kids/babywipeshome_vav_gn.htm
http://www.justpeace.org/babywipes.htm

pshontz
02-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Funny, I was thinking about trying some various brands of diapers again too. We tried a lot of types when dd was born and settled on Pampers Baby Dry. They are working very well, actually, I'd just like to find out if something cheaper would also work as well. DD is 5 months, weighs around 14 lb and is about 27". So I would also be interested in what diapers work well for long, lean babies!

Priscilla & Laura 09/14/02

brubeck
02-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Luvs are made by the same company as Pampers and they fit the same but are cheaper. I'll warn you though, the Luvs feel very harsh and papery, and you'd better like Barney! :-)

charigot
02-28-2003, 11:50 AM
I disagree with "harsh". They aren't as plush as the Pampers, but you do pay a lot less. The paper you're talking about is on the outside and our son doesn't mind them at all.