PDA

View Full Version : CD diaper pail setup -- dekor plus & bummis tote liner? step cans? need advice!

zen_bliss
02-24-2003, 04:19 PM
hi, i was thinking of using the dekor & bummis bag as my setup. has anyone tried this? i thought the dekor 'triple seal' would be a good thing.

the other pail i am thinking of using is the chrome step can we already have with the bummis liner bag. any thoughts on which size i should get, L or XL?

otherwise, has anyone come up with a nifty solution for adhering citrus deo-disks or charcoal to the inside lid of their generic pail?

can you recommend other waterproof washable laundry bags to use in the pail other than bummis? i'll try to keep it a 'dry' pail but from time to time I'm sure i will pre-treat or rinse some, so no leaking is important.

TIA!

egoldber
02-24-2003, 04:25 PM
I think that your chrome step can would work great. How large is it? I use a Large Bummis liner with my 24 quart Sterilite can and it fits perfectly. I alos have a larger Sterilite can (52 quart maybe?) and I need an XL Bummis for that.

HTH,

C99
02-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I use a 5 gallon chrome step-can with pull-out liner bin; works great. I keep the liner bin filled with a little water and some Biz for soaking until I can get the dipes in the wash. Just pull out the liner bin and bring it downstairs. I rinse out the dipes in my utility sink and then soak the diapers in cold water and some Biz for about 30 minutes, then throw everything in the washer on hot for an 18-minute wash cycle (the max my washer offers). FWIW, 2 days worth of CDs don't smell (breastfed baby), so I haven't bothered with any of the deodorizing disks.

HTH

Calmegja
02-24-2003, 05:34 PM
I have Sterilite flip top cans with nylon waterproof liners that I bought at Target, and they have worked well...

Shallow as it is, the Bummis didn't come in a color that matched my nursery, so I didn't get them, even though I've heard wonderful things about them....

For odors, I used a stickup at first (I used velcro buttons to attach it to the lid), but that was overwhelming, and unnecessary.

I now just take a qtip, dip it in lavendar oil, and tape it to the lid when I do laundry. Smells fabulous and baby like, the dipes don't particularly stink, and it's cheap. All good things!

parkersmama
02-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Do you just throw the liner in with the dipes to wash? Can they be dried or do you hang them to dry?

I'm also considering a liner from Happy Tushies. Has anyone ever used one of theirs? (They are a lot cuter and have more variety than the Bummis ones.)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Calmegja
02-24-2003, 07:07 PM
I just throw in with the wash, dry them with the dipes, and start all over again! ;-)

I just ordered from Happy Tushies...I'm waiting on my order, and I'm so excited. I ordered a deluxe kit with a wet bag for travel, and a liner bag to use when we travel (it's a nursery print, and it's so cute)...I didn't want to have to strip my pails when we go to my mom's house, so I thought it would work well as a travel bag...

I've heard nothing but raves for her work, and she has been terrific to correspond with. I should have mine soon....

egoldber
02-24-2003, 08:43 PM
I wash mine, but I do not dry it. I have two, so that one is in use while the other is washing/drying. I have read that the PUL can break down with repeated drying. I also never dry my covers or my FuzziBunz (except accidentally, occasionally :) ).

HTH,

Calmegja
02-24-2003, 09:24 PM
My liner is nylon, and my dad is a materials engineer, so I dry my nylon bag without fear (had to hear a speech about nylon's properties), but I'll probably be more tender with the Happy Tushies bag, because it's PUL.....;-)

Thanks for bringing that up, Beth! Good point!

todzwife
02-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Where did you get your nylon liner? I have no idea where to start looking! Thanks!
Shandelle ;)

parkersmama
02-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, Beth & Jessica! I've pretty much decided against getting a traditional diaper pail (with deo disk or the Dekor, etc.) and getting a regular old trash type pail. Now, I just have to decide whether it'll be the Sterilite type or the metal type. I guess it'll depend on whether the money is available!

Jessica...let us know how you like your Happy Tushies bag. They are adorable and I'm a sucker for that!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Calmegja
02-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Target, in the laundry section....I believe it was like $4.....;-)

AngelaS
02-25-2003, 08:40 AM
I don't use a liner. LOL (I'm sooo cheap!) I have a square Sterlite can that's about 2 feet tall and it just has a flip open lid (no pedal, you have to open it w/your hand--LOL). I just throw all the diapers in it. :)

On wash day, I dump the diapers in the washer, then pour a bit of vinegar into the pail and wipe it down with a rag. Then I throw the vinegar rag into the washer for the final rinse. :D

It works for me.

kcenya
02-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Hi, I registered just now because I couldn't keep my mouth shut... I use the dekor+ and an x-large bummis liner and it works fabulously. One of my cd friends just bought one because she liked my setup.

zen_bliss
02-26-2003, 07:14 AM
thank you all! i love the feedback -- essential oil and a qtip! it's the simple stuff that's so elegant! -- and the confirmation that someone else is doing it that way too!

i admit -- i looked all over two targets today and could not find a laundry bag that claimed to be waterproof, just stuff sack type bags. sigh. i did do a little happy dance when i found a discontinued FP peaceful planet aquarium. i showed my husband and he told me to leave it on while he drifts off to sleep. a hit already!

speaking of target, do you all know about this list of target markdowns?
http://www.aliendeals.com/target.htm i print it out before i go shopping, but LA is consumer town and they are GONE fast.