PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Diaper for Overnight

blnony
02-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Well, after many leaky disposable diaper nights, I've decided to try cloth at night. I've tried every disposable out there, and every morning I'm changing the bed. I figure I will start overnight and see how they work(and I've finally convinced DH that cloth can be done...:))
What are the best cloth diapers for overnight? I've done a search, and read a lot of posts, but to be honest, it sounds very confusing. DD is 18 lbs and 6 mo. old if that makes a difference?
TIA-

egoldber
02-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Well, good for you! But to be honest, you've decided to start with, what I think, is the most challenging part of cloth diapering. Finding a nightime diaper system can be trial and error. Here are things I do that work for me:

1) FuzziBunz - these are a pocket style diaper that you put inserts in to act as the soaker. I use two JoeyBunz in a FB and that works for me.

2) A premium size Chinese prefold with a JoeyBunz folded up inside, and a Motherease Airflow cover over the whole thing

3) A Motherease Sandy with two inserts, usually a Sandy liner and a JoeyBunz, and a Motherease Airflow cover over the whole thing

4) A premium size Chinese prefold AND a regular size Chinese prefold folded together, and a Motherease Airflow cover over the whole thing

These are listed in order of LEAST bulky to MOST bulky. And I ALWAYS use a fleece liner at night to provide a moisture barrier to prevent diaper rash.

The problem with cloth diapers is that there are SOOOOO many options. It takes a little trial and error.

HTH,

Calmegja
02-24-2003, 05:22 PM
I started cloth out of desperation for my toddler and 9 month old who were always wet, no matter what I did with sposies at night. They are my 3rd and 4th babies, and no one has ever peed quite as much as they do at night. I think they're camels, and just soak it up all day, and then let go at night. It's weird....

For my three year old, I use a FuzziBunz stuffed with three hemp Joeybunz at night, or a Bumkins All in One, with two Joey Bunz. She's been fine and not soaked through her jammies ever since we started this. I'm thrilled, she's happy, and I can't believe it worked!

My 9 month old always wears a Fuzzibunz to bed, with a large joey, a microinsert and a medium Joey. He's always leakfree in the morning, and I couldn't be happier.

I was so happy with the night solution that we've been edging into doing it most of the time in the day, as well. I still keep some disposables around, will continue to do so, for specific situations, but for the most part, I am very, very pleased with how easy it has been to make the switch....

Hope that helps...

sparkeze
02-25-2003, 02:29 AM
We've tried the following:

-Fuzzi Bunz with 3 joeys
-Fuzzi Bunz with 2 joeys and a CPF
-Liz's Cloth fitted with 1 joey and Aristocrats cover
-Mom & Me Creations with 1 joey and Aristocrats cover
-Mom & Me Creations with CPF and Aristocrats cover
-Mom & Me Creations fitted and Aristocrats cover

We no longer use FB and almost always use the last combo these days. My DS was 17.5 lbs at 6 mo and a M FB always left red marks on his thighs, so we switched to L FB a few weeks later and they gaped a little at the thighs. Pee never leaked out but he always had a first thing in the morning poop and that did sometimes. Then I started reading all kinds of stuff about repelling fleece on FB and so I just got rid of them and switched to wool covers with fitteds. It's bulky, but never, ever leaks! I just got a Darling Diapers pocket fitted diaper and I think I may try that for night with the Aristocrats. I think I'll stuff it with the stuffer she sells for it and 1 CPF and see how that works out. I like the idea of being able to put DS in a one piece diaper by stuffing it, but I didn't really like FB. Another advantage with not using FB that I found is that you buy a certain number of FB for the number of nights you need them for but then if for whatever reason you don't have enough you have to use something else. Using fitteds and covers for nighttime I can work with what I have left that's clean. I would highly recommend the Aristocrats for a nighttime cover though - I love it! Oh and another combo I'm planning to try is Zootkitty Pocket Diapers with 1 CPF and either 1 or 2 Joeys- same concept as FB but it has gussets for holding in that morning poop and it's side-snapping. Which always has worked best for my DS's chubby thighs!

egoldber
02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
With FuzziBunz, the fit is absolutely crucial. I went through a phase where DD was too big for the mediums, definitely too small for the Large and a bit too small for the Petite Toddlers. She now fits perfectly in the Petite Toddlers. Hopefully, by the time she outgrows those, the Larges will fit because I LOVE my FuzziBunz. :)

Are the Mom&Me fitteds made of hemp? What size do you use? Her sizing is a little strange. DD wears a Large in most diapers, but her larges start at 30+ pounds and the medium is 20-35 pounds. Sarah is around 25 pounds.

sparkeze
02-25-2003, 05:17 PM
They're made of hemp knit terry so they're really stretchy. DS wears larges in pretty much everything but for these a M fits like a large. If you do order one though definitely ask Jen what size she thinks you should get. Her son who is about the same age as my son can wear a L but he's super chunky. Even if Sarah weighed the same as her son since she'll be a lot thinner I think a M would probably work, but definitely ask!

kcenya
02-25-2003, 05:23 PM
I use a fuzzibunz with a joeybunz and a prefold... I am intrigued by the hempers prefolds though, supposedly very absorbent.

Melanie
02-25-2003, 08:37 PM
We use either a Luke's Drawers All In Wonder or Goodnight Kiss. No leaks, no problems.

Mommy to Jonah