PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Cost

jd11365
02-23-2003, 11:15 PM
So what are good prices for diapers?
We bought a huge bulk size of 1/2 Huggies at Sams for $29, because they came to only .13 cents each...which was cheaper than the .25 cents each of the larger sizes. We figured we wouldn't buy more than 1 box because we didn't want to get "stuck" with more than 228 diapers that were so small. Can someone give me a breakdown of cost factor? And, we would like to stock up before the baby is born...and I'm not working anymore...so recommendations on which sizes to buy the most of would be great!

Thanks!
Jamie :-)
EDD 5/12/03

brubeck
02-23-2003, 11:53 PM
I can only quote for Pampers, but $10 is an okay price for a Jumbo Pack (any size). $16 is okay for a Mega and $20 for a Super Mega. Anything less than this and you are getting a good price.

egoldber
02-24-2003, 11:14 AM
I would agree with this Pampers cost analysis. :) Just an FYI, those large packages for $29.99 are available a lot of places. Costco also has them as well as Target and BRU/TRU. I don't know about Sams, but Costco doesn't take coupons, so it was actually a better deal for me to buy those large boxes elsewhere and use a coupon. American Baby magazine (free most of the time) has coupons in every issue for either Pampers or Huggies (15% off at BRU).

Of course, now I use cloth diapers, so the cost analysis is completely different.

brubeck
02-24-2003, 11:40 AM
In my experience (Pampers Cruisers sizes 3, 4 and 5) the boxes have the same number of diapers as a Super Mega pack, and therefore shouldn't be more than $20. These were the boxes BRU & TRU were carrying. However I do believe there is an even bigger case at Costco for Baby Dry only. Is this the one you're talking about for $30?

egoldber
02-24-2003, 11:43 AM
I was talking about BabyDry since I didn't use the Cruisers. The large box (whatever it is called) of Pampers BabyDry at Costco has the same number of diapers as the bozes at Target and BRU. Also, if you like BabyDry, consider using Luvs. They are identical to Pampers BabyDry and are usually significantly cheaper.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
02-24-2003, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't buy too many of anything right now - Huggies may not work for your newborn, and then you would be stuck with a huge box of diapers that leak.

We started out with one pack of newborn Huggies, one pack of newborn Pampers (both gifts) and a few samples of newborn Huggies. Plus the leftover size 1 Pampers Baby Dry that we brought home from the hospital. Colin was 8lbs, 4oz and 22" at birth, and 7lbs 11oz when we brought him home. The newborn Huggies samples gave him plumbers crack (Huggies are shorter in front and back than Pampers), so we returned the pack of Huggies. I tried the newborn Pampers but was more comfortable with the size 1 Baby Drys from the hospital. So when Colin was about 4 days old, DH had to do an evening Target run for size 1 Baby Drys.

We switched over to Swaddlers because they were softer and were using those up until about two weeks ago, when Colin outgrew the size 2's. Size 3 Cruisers (next up from Swaddlers) were HUGE on him so now we are using size 3 Huggies Supreme (and starting to consider cloth diapering)!

Then, too, there are some generic diapers out there (White Cloud from Wal-Mart, for example) that work really well for some people and are much cheaper than Pampers or Huggies. Luvs are another option too - similar to Pampers, but more papery cover, and much cheaper. I'd certainly suggest giving yourself the option of using these, instead.

Diapers are as much an art as a science!

danielleh
02-24-2003, 12:31 PM
For Huggies, I found that the 29.99 box in costco had more diapers in it than the 29.99 box at BRU. For size 3, the costco box has 160 diapers vs. 144 at BRU. But, if you have the 15% off coupon, the BRU box would still be less per diaper.

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02