PDA

View Full Version : What type of diaper rash product do you like?

gravymommy3
02-21-2003, 08:38 PM
I was just wondering what types of rash products everyone uses?

I like to use Resinol on my little ones. My mother (actually step-mom but since she is the only "mom" I have left, I call her my mother now) turned me on to this. It is not labeled for babies or diaper rashes, but boy does it work for me. It is a product that you can put on your face to dry up acne. It is thick and will even stick and cover up raw spots (some of my kids' rashes have been doozies.) The rashes are almost gone overnight when I use this. Was just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if they like it as much as I do. I usually have to have the pharmacist special order it but it is fairly cheap.

Just wondering...

Amy
mom to:
Grayson 3/25/98
Avery 10/7/99
Hayden 11/6/01

egoldber
02-21-2003, 09:13 PM
I only use Aquaphor. It is also not labeled for use as diaper rash cream, but it works terrific. I also use it on her face (and my hands) in the winter to help with the dry chapped places caused by cold, dry heat and wind.

HTH,

Rachels
02-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Weleda Calendula Cream! It fixes everything.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Andrea S
02-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Where can you find weleda calendula cream? What else do you use it for? I have heard it mentioned before.

Andrea

nohomama
02-22-2003, 09:04 AM
I second the Weleda Calendula Cream. Also, Weleda Diaper Care. They can both be found at places like Whole Foods Market. There are lots of places to buy it online. The best price I've found is a www.vitaminshoppe.com. Or if you happen to be in Germany go to any DM and you'll find it for half the price it is here.

Rachels
02-22-2003, 10:13 AM
It's great fore everything. I use it for diaper rash, and it is wonderful as a barrier cream overnight. It also works on dry skin, scratches,etc.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Calmegja
02-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I love Aveeno and Aquaphor...they have clean smells, wipe easily, and work like a dream at the first hint of anything....

Calmegja
02-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh, and I read on an allergy board that the Weleda has peanut oil in it, and should not be used on children who have a family history of allergies, because some kids can have reactions....

My brother is PA, and he can't have peanut derivatives come in contact with his skin without a reaction....

Not saying that it's not a fab cream, I'm sure it is, just that it has an ingredient to be wary of, if you've got a history of allergies (familial food alllergies, eczema, or severe seasonal allergies)...

sweetbasil
02-22-2003, 12:22 PM
The only thing that's worked for us is Dr. Smith's diaper ointment. It's usually behind the pharmacy counter, so you have to ask them for it, and it runs around $7 something, but lasts forever, works quickly, and really coats a sore little bottom nicely.

etwahl
02-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Oh no! I have a bunch of Weleda stuff, but I had severe eczema as a child, and still suffer from it a little. I also have other allergies (sinus)... I wonder if our child will suffer from eczema as well. I'm hoping not, it's so nasty. What would be the initial signs that the Weleda is having a negative effect? Would it be a rash?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

nohomama
02-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Tammy,

Go to http://usa.weleda.com/ingredients/ingredients.asp for a list of ingredients (and an explantion of what they are) used in all Weleda products. You can then click on a particular ingredient for a list of the Weleda products that contain it.

Their baby products do NOT contain peanut oil. They do, however, contain almond oil. Though some people are allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts, being allergic to one does not neccessarily mean one will be allergic to the other. For those highly allergic to peanuts it could be an issue if the baby products are produced in a facility that also produces products with peanut oil. In that case, I'd advise contacting Weleda to find out about their manufacturing process/facilities.

Lauren may be predisposed to eczema but I wouldn't be particularly concerned about using Weleda stuff on her unless you and/or Evan have a nut allergy yourselves or an allergy to some other ingredient in the products. In terms of recognizing an allergy, there has to be a sensitizing exposure, meaning an allergy wouldn't become apparent until a product/food/etc. is used more than once (even then it might not be obvious...just ask Rachel...). Topical symptoms might include redness, inflamation, or rash.

HTH,

gravymommy3
02-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Tammy,

I agree with Sarah. Don't hit the panic button yet. First off, the odds are in favor of your little one having eczema. My DH had it as a child, and all three of mine kids have it. That being said, there are numerous treatments available to help treat it (a lot of them are brand new), so don't worry about it - it won't stop it and and it won't cure it. Secondly, my DD has a life-threatening egg and peanut allergy. She can eat stuff fried in peanut oil though (it does not contain the peanut protein, which is what most people are actually allergic to), so again, don't worry if it has a peanut or tree nut oil in it.

Discuss with your pediatrician your concern about your childhood eczema and how it will affect you little one. Also, if it eases your mind, take the Weleda to an appointment and get his opinion on it. If it turns out that you cannot use it on your baby, either Ebay or see if someone here wants to buy it. The pediatrician can refer you to an allergist if it looks like your baby needs it.

Bottom line: stay away from peanuts (peanut butter) when you are nursing. It can pass through the breast milk and your child could develop an peanut allergy from it. Other than that, don't worry about the eczema. If she develops it, deal with it then You have more than enough on your plate to worry about right now.

Your baby will be just fine! If you need someone to "talk" to, please feel free to email me at [email protected] any time. No question is too silly.

Hang in there

Amy

nohomama
02-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Amy,

I knew that the peanut protein is what is so allergenic but I didn't know that peanut oil doesn't contain it. Interesting.

Sarah

etwahl
02-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Sarah & Amy - this is all good information. Neither DH nor myself are allergic to peanuts or nuts (and I have been eating a ton of nuts and peanut butter during the pregnancy). The thought of not eating it while nursing is sad. Is this definitely something I should really stay away from (e.g. all peanut products while nursing?) My mother was a big peanut eater, but she didn't nurse me, so I'm guessing that's why it wasn't a factor.

I had no idea there was a correlation between eczema and peanut allergies. I'm so glad I'm finding this out now rather than after I have the baby. Hopefully I haven't done any damage by all the nuts and peanut butter I've eaten up until now.

I'll definitely talk to the pediatrician about my concerns as soon as possible. And who knew a topic of diaper rash ointment would educate me so much. Thank you!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
02-22-2003, 09:13 PM
I think this had like 25 peoples opinions on it...and was filled with info...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=345&forum=DCForumID5

I remember Aquaphor
Triple paste
Bordeuax's Butt Creme

But can't speak from experience...I know my dear friends swear by Aquaphor so I have grabbed that for now...

Calmegja
02-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Actually, the peanut oil thing depends on whether its cold processed or hot processed, for the allergy reaction.

The Vitamin Shoppe link posted above for Weleda Calendula very clearly says peanut oil....if there's misinformation, maybe that's where it's coming from. I don't use it, I only read it as a warning, and then it reminded me today when I looked at the Vitamin Shoppe link, and saw it listed as an ingredient. The clinical name for peanut oil is arachis, but the vitamin shoppe just says peanut oil as the ingredient.

There was a study done about 10 years ago that showed over 90% of PA children also have eczema, and there was the suggestion that being having eczema somehow left them more prone to PA (probably the same genetic fluke), as well as the fact that many topical eczema creams used to contain the peanut oil. There was a question of whether kids who were already vulnerable to a sensitization were being exposed through the skin to the arachis, and then gaining the triggered PA, having already had a predisposition to PA.

It'd be great if it doesn't have it, since it's not been ascertained how the oil and the offending protein are processed.

My brother's reaction to a contact is hives and itching on the skin, slow anaphalasis if ingested (he only needs Benadryl to get under control, not epi). Our friends have a PA boy, and he's the same way, only he requires epi if ingested.

Our allergist showed us the studies that talked about delaying the introduction of allergenic foods, and sensitization in utero and during nursing. Basically, nobody knows for sure, and you can find compelling literature in both directions....This is an issue near and dear to me, and I was highly concerned about peanuts during pregnancy as well as during nursing, with all four of my children. Ironically, during the pregnancy/nursing period with my brother, my mother had a food aversion to peanut butter, and consumed none, and he had a PA. On the other hand, while pregnant and nursing me, she adored peanut butter, and it was her staple protein, and I don't have the PA. It's anecdotal, and means nothing scientifically, but it is ironic.

While I don't take baths in peanut butter, I do it eat it while pregnant and nursing, with my allergist's and pediatrician's blessing. I did this with my first two, before the hullaballo came out about not comsuming peanuts during pregnancy and lactation. That was part of the reason my allergist gave us the okay. Like all foods, though, it's all things in moderation. It's a tough call, when looking at all the data, but the sensitization issue is a rough one. The best studies done don't answer the question properly. It's a tough call, but with research, and a good pediatrician or allergist's (in our case, both), you can find ground that you can stand on comfortably.

The March of Dimes does recommend women with family histories of allergies to either avoid peanut products or talk it over with their physicians before making a decision, and they recommend peanuts as a good source of folate for pregnant/nursing women with no history of allergy.

I didn't mean to panic anyone, I just wanted to make people aware of a possible link, what our experiences have been, and what is associated with familial allergies....

My brother can use/eat hot processed oils, but not cold pressed...some PA's can do that, some can't even have the oil. It just depends on the severity of the allergy...

Calmegja
02-22-2003, 10:07 PM
You may want to conatct Weleda, and let them know that on the Vitamin Shoppe link given above, the listed ingredients for Weleda calendula cream state, as an inactive ingredient, peanut oil, not almond oil....

That may be the source of the misinformation. ;-)

egoldber
02-23-2003, 01:19 AM
Neve, since you are going to be using cloth diapers, be especially careful about which diaper creams you use. Many of the "standards", like Desitin, can stain cloth diapers and leave a nasty residue. I have used Aquaphor with great success. I also used the Weleda cream (because I was sent a free sample) but I personally didn't like it very much.

HTH,

todzwife
02-23-2003, 01:27 AM
What about Burt's Bees? Colleen at naturalbabies recommends this on her website. Does it have a bad effect on cloth diapers?
Shandelle ;)

egoldber
02-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I have never used Burts Bees stuff, but it is supposed to work well with cloth diapers.

Part of the reason I don't like Weleda and Burts Bees stuff is that it is so expensive. At the Vitamin Shoppe, the Weleda Calendula cream was $8 for 3 ounces. The Burts Bees diaper ointment was $5.60 for 2 ounces. I got a 14 ounce tub of Aquaphor from Costco for $12. I've been using it for a year.

As I say, I did get a sample of the Weleda stuff, and I thought it was OK, but nothing to write home about. I also don't like that many of these "natural" products are very heavily scented. The Aquaphor is unscented. But it is a petroleum product, and many people are uncomfortable with that.

HTH,

etwahl
02-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Beth, what is the negative of it being a petroleum product? Does the same go for vaseline's petroleum jelly?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
02-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Beth thank you...I had not thought about the effect of creams on my diapers. I am planning on using just Aquaphor if it works for us. I think it was Sarah who said it also helps remove miconium poops.

My nurse friends swear by Aquaphor, and I could easily become addcited to posh products and don't want to so I just close my eyes and walk by them and go straight to the Aquaphor. I did not realize that Costco sells the tubs!!! That is great!!!

For some reason in the other thread on this topic, the Bordeaux's Butt Creme and the Triple paste caught my attention as other products to try...I wonder how they are on cloth???

But I do plan to only have Aquaphor unless a problem crops up...:)

egoldber
02-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Some people are uncomfortable with using products made by oil companies for philosophical and/or environmental reasons. Others are uncomfortable with using any non-natural products on their babies. I don't personally know of any particular issues with petroleum products, just that some people don't use them for these reasons.

I really prefer Aquaphor to Vaseline type products, even though it is more expensive. I don't know what it is, but I always seem to feel very messy after using Vaseline whereas Aquaphor cleans up much easier. It is sort of a hybrid between a lotion and Vaseline.

HTH,

megsmom
02-23-2003, 02:40 PM
I just wanted to add that Aquaphor is a wonderful product for babies both in the diaper area and for chapped, drooly faces. Both Meghan and I have ezcema which is very under control, but this time is hard for us with all of the dryness. I felt bad that she inherited her mom's bad skin, but what can you do? :/

Most of the time all we ever have to use is Aquaphor and it clears any little spot right up overnight. I would also like to send in a plug for Cetaphil Cleanser and Creme for dry skin and ezcema. Meghan was rashing all over her trunk this winter and this stuff worked like a charm. It's a little expensive but well worth it.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

etwahl
02-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Jen, that's really good to know about the cetaphil. I think they have that at costco also. I'll have to pick some up next time I'm there. I feel bad our baby will probably inherit my bad skin (eczema as well) but as long as there's a way to help keep it under control, I won't feel so bad. I have pictures of me as a baby/little girl and I had it all over my body. Makes me wonder if they didn't have preventative stuff back then or if my parents just let it go?!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

chucksmom
02-24-2003, 11:25 AM
I use burts bees with cloth diapers and it is great-I was given some as a gift, but now I just love it. It has a wonderful smell and works well. It is expensive though.