PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with diaper rash

JMarie
02-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Aidan should be coming home today - I'll find out in about an hour if he passed his apnea test - but I'm most worried about the terrible diaper rash he has. His nurses and doctors said that it is due to the antibiotic treatment he received for the first 48 hours, but it seems no matter what they do, it's really not getting any better. They put Balmex on it - which helped a little - they left it open to the air for a day, and they ordered some 3-compound mixture that doesn't really work either. The ONLY time Aidan cries is when his diaper is being changed and I can see why! It's pretty much just red - not open-sore and oozing - but I'm willing to try just about anything to make it better. Any suggestions? BTW - he is a formula-fed baby, if that makes a difference. TIA!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

newbelly2002
02-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Congrats on bringing the munchkin home. I'll be hoping for good results on that test!

Paula

jojo2324
02-05-2003, 10:58 AM
We use Desitin Creamy; that has worked best for us. I hope the test results are good and you can bring your little bundle home!

Rachels
02-05-2003, 11:00 AM
If it's due to antibiotics, are they sure it's not a yeast rash? Here's a link to a yeast rash photo so you can compare:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081401.asp

If it's not a yeast rash, try changing formula, diapers, wipes, etc. You can also try calendula cream or Lansinoh to clear up the rash-- I've found both to work MUCH better than the typical zinc stuff. And lots of open-air time for that little rear end!

So glad you're getting him home, Jennifer! Keep us posted.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

dd_ani
02-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Dd (11 1/2 months) has had an awful time with diaper rash from time to time, especially when she is teething. (Teething leads to diarrhea, diarrhea leads to diaper rash, diaper rash leads to unhappy baby.... You get the picture)

Most often it has been a yeast infection that has caused our problems. In her case, it can go from fine at one change to bleeding ugly red at the next.

One thing that has really helped is feeding her yogurt. For some reason, yogurt seems to help all kinds of yeast infections. You might want to check with your pediatrician first, just in case they are worried about the milk in it or whatever.

Good luck,

Michelle

Melanie
02-06-2003, 07:54 PM
For a yeasty antibiotic-induced rash we would give Ds Natren's Life Start Probiotics (you can mix in with formula or give by dropper). It will help rebalance his intestinal tract. Topically we would first put a layer of Lotrimin (to combat yeast), then Tripe Paste, then Vaseline(to try to keep it all on for longer). Top that all off with Pampers Rash Care diapers. When bathing we would use Aveeno Oatmeal bath to help sooth.

Make SURE your wipes have NO alcohol in them.

We never had this problem when he was a newborn, though, so I'm not sure how all that stuff would do on your baby's brand-new skin.

Good Luck & I hope you enjoy your babymoon.

Mommy to Jonah

MelissaTC
02-06-2003, 08:21 PM
I tried Weleda cream and that works really well on my baby's bum. He has very sensitive skin and eczema. Another cream that has been highly recommended is Bordeaux's Butt paste. I know the name sounds funny but that stuff is supposed to work on eczema, diaper rash, etc.. Burt's Bees and Badger cream have also received high marks. I have also tried A+D, just the plain old nasty smelling yucky stuff. I found it at the supermarket. I use that on Matthew for just about anything and it works well also.

Good luck to you! I had the same problems with Matthew and wound up switching to cloth diapers. Haven't had any problems since!

megsmom
02-07-2003, 03:49 PM
I sure hope Aiden is home now! I also hope that he is getting better with his diaper rash by now too. One time Meg had a severe, almost burn like quality, to her bum caused by her pooping in the car seat and we weren't able to change her right away. It was so red and awful I thought it was a yeast infection and took her to our ped. It actually turned out not to be yeast and she was prescribed a special creme that the pharmacist had to make up with lotion and (get this) and ulcer healing creme. It was absolute magic and it healed the rash almost immediately. She just nodded off for her nap now and I would go in her room and tell you what it is.

I also would totally forgo wipes now and just use water and little cotton balls or squares. Some of our babes just have sensitive skin. Meg did have a little irritation from the diaper wipes at the hospital but was fine once we switched to ones without fragrance.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

COElizabeth
02-07-2003, 04:07 PM
My ped office recommends soaking the affected area in warm soapy water for several minutes. They say wipes may not get off all the stuff causing irritation. Also, since Aidan has been on antibiotics you might try giving some acidophilus powder mixed with a few drops of whatever he is eating. Ask your ped about it, but ours recommended it for DS when I was on antibiotics when he was just a week or two old. Good luck, and congratulations on having him home!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

JMarie
02-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Aidan is home now and the diaper rash is starting to get better. We make sure to change him often and give him some open-air time as well. His ped checked him out and said it's not a yeast infection, so we're happy about that (he does have thrush, though, but seems to like the medicine). He does have loose stools, so his ped said to really check his diapers since that will irritate him even more. Thanks for all your suggestions - we'll keep trying until his little behind is cleared up!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

C99
02-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Nate pretty much only cries when his diaper's changed too. The nurses told us that preemies just don't like the diaper change b/c their butts get cold. His bum is red as well, but I use A&D and it seems to work well. We also got a wipes warmer and that helped a bit!

Glad he's home -- if you thought the hosp. stuff was hard, the first few days throw you for a loop!

Caroline