PDA

View Full Version : Why are fitted diapers better than prefolds?

janinegillot
02-07-2003, 03:14 PM
I guess I'll find out the answer to this question soon enough once I have my baby, but I'm just curious about this. It seems to me that prefolds take a bit of time to fold into thirds, but fitteds have those snaps that take a bit of time, too. The fitteds do seem plusher, and I suppose the leg casing helps keep the poop in. Does that about sum it up, or are there other reasons why fitteds are so popular?
Janine

KathyO
02-07-2003, 04:48 PM
I use fitteds, and I wouldn't say that they're BETTER... I guess some folks find them nice and familar because they do up like disposables. The fitteds I have are also fairly tolerant of un-expert users - in the early stages, my husband and mother have put them on both inside out and backwards on various occasions, and they worked fine, plus the baby didn't seem to mind.

But I think the biggest variable in a diaper's success is how well it works with the particular physique of your baby, and how easy/pleasant you personally find it to use. Think about all the combinations and permutations available in sanitary pads! You'd think - such a basic item, we'd all want the same thing, but nooooo...

Cheers,

KathyO

egoldber
02-07-2003, 05:16 PM
They're not better, they're just different. Some people find them to be more convenient (me) and like that they keep the poop contained better (me). But some people really love preoflds and that's all they use. Also, getting a prefold fastened onto an older baby can be challenging if your baby is a wiggler.

HTH,

Melanie
02-07-2003, 06:49 PM
>...Also, getting a prefold
>fastened onto an older baby can be challenging if your baby
>is a wiggler.
>
>HTH,

I am SO Snappi-deficient! I just can't get it to work b/c Ds won't hold still. I'm sure they're great for newborns, and maybe even if the baby is used to a longer change, but my goodness Ds is impatient!

Mommy to Jonah