PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Geenie v. Diaper Champ v. Dekor

stacyim
11-12-2002, 11:38 PM
Which is the easiest to use, cheapest to use and best at controlling odor?

Rachels
11-13-2002, 09:05 AM
We have the Diaper Champ, and it's great. No odor at all (except for removing the bag), very simple to use, and uses regular garbage bags so you don't have to buy replacement inserts. There are also some old posts about this, so you might want to do a search. HTH!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

candybomiller
11-13-2002, 01:14 PM
We also have the diaper champ and I do think it's great, except that ours stinks. Not all the time, but I would definitely not call all of the odor contained. Maybe ds just has really stinky poo.

Candy
-Mommy to Matthew Nicholas, 5/22/02

m2tandk
11-13-2002, 01:38 PM
I have tried the Daiper Genie and HATED it!!! Its way too much effort and hard to maneuver and didn't really control the odor all that great. I think I will try the Diaper Dekor next time although I have heard great things about the Diaper Champ.

Kelly
TTC#3

mamahill
11-13-2002, 05:57 PM
I have the Diaper Genie as well, and while I don't HATE it, I don't think it's wonderful. I mean, it's better than throwing them in a regular garbage can. I'd say the odor is pretty well contained. But the first few diapers have a hard time "catching" when you spin the top (sound confusing? it is, kind of). Maybe it's because DD is still only in size 2s, but I heard it was only a problem with newborn diapers. The problem isn't so bad that I'll get a new one, just a minor annoyance. And enough for me not to give it rave reviews, and to recommend to others to try something else. Oh, and you HAVE to us their refills. I can see why the Diaper Champ would be attractive.

22tango
11-14-2002, 09:06 AM
I have the Diaper Dekor and so far so GOOD!! I would have to say it is incredibly easy to use and to dispose of the the diapers. Like the Diaper Geenie, you have to buy their special liners, but I've found so far that each one lasts about 6 weeks, so the cost is less than $1 per week! Maybe less since her output should go down as she gets older. The liners are scented prettily, and right now it's in our bedroom and we notice no smell at all -- but Karenna is only 2 months old, and hasn't got very smelly diapers yet (breastfed baby). I have high hopes!!

We have the regular Dekor, and sometimes I regret I didn't buy the larger model (Dekor Plus), but I figure once the diapers do start smelling, the more frequent emptying should help with odor-control. One reason I chose the Dekor over the twist-type diaper pails was in case we wanted to try the cloth diaper route -- much easier not to have to untwist all those diapers!! And DH thinks it's wonderful...just step on the foot pedal and drop the diaper in...very quick, and very easy! And it looks nicer IMO than the Geenies or Champs.

cara1
11-14-2002, 01:06 PM
I have the Diaper Geenie, and now these other ones are starting to sound much better. At first I really liked it, but now I'm sick of it. I'm sick of emptying it, and particularly sick of changing the liners all together. It is pretty complicated, and for what it's worth, my MIL who takes care of DS during the day makes me change it whenever it's full (she can't figure it out). It does keep the smell in pretty well, though. Now I've gotten to the point of tossing pee-pee diapers in the regular garbage, and only the poopy ones in the Genie. Also, DS is crawling all over the place, and loves to pull up to a stand on the Genie. You should make sure you get something that closes securely. And it does tip over on him sometimes, but not much other than supervision can prevent that!

22tango
11-14-2002, 05:38 PM
I should add that changing the liners is super easy, you practically drop it in. And the cabinet door has a simple lock so baby can't get at the diapers or the built in bag cutter which you use when you pull down on the bag full of diapers, cut off then tie off top of full bag and a new end knot in the pail liner. I'd buy another, and probably may convert this to a bathroom trash can when it's done being a diaper pail! (BTW -- I have no experience with the Diaper Geenies & Champs...just happy with what I have and how it works.)

mamahill
11-14-2002, 05:50 PM
I'm intrigued... I had never heard of the Dekor until now. Is it for sale at BRU or online? I only saw the Genie and the Champ at various stores when I was pregnant. Where can I see a Dekor? TIA

Momof3Labs
11-14-2002, 11:12 PM
I saw the Dekor at BRU...

22tango
11-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Yup...available online at BRU or Babycenter.com. I've also seen them IRL at BRU. It comes in 2 sizes regular and Plus (which is a bit larger so it holds more.) Check it out...as with many baby items, it's a subjective thing. The Dekor costs about the same as the Geenie or Champ, but you also have to buy refill liners like you do for the Geenie. It's just more attractive and you don't have to "twist" to seal each diaper -- it's just a can with a lid (triple-sealed) that holds a continuous (you cut it each time you empty the can) scented liner.

It is new. I thought I'd buy a Diaper Geenie (since everyone swears by it) until I saw this. At the time, I couldn't get anyone to review it here since it was so new. But I bit the bullet and bought it anyway, and (for 2 months anyway) have been very pleased. It's so easy to use that DH does a large share of diapering and always emptys and refills it!! Of course, your husband (like your mileage) may vary!! :P

caroliner
11-16-2002, 12:36 AM
I have the Genie and my sister has the Champ. I love the Genie and liked the Champ. The Genie contains smell much better than the Champ. I find the Genie really easy to use and the refills are not expensive. It is worth it to not have the stink!

tinwhistle
02-05-2003, 11:49 AM
anyone care to comment on how well the Dekor stifles odor? on every other criteria, the Dekor sounds like a winner. thanks for helpful notes.

22tango
02-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Karenna is almost 5 months old...and I've never smelt any wiff of the diapers in her Dekor (even when we had the changing table in our bedroom.) But she's still BFing, so the real test will probably be in about another month or two when she's eating food. Sorry I can't give you more help -- maybe someone else out there has one with an older baby.

steph2003
10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Overall I'm happy with my Dekor & its odor containment. Not 100% perfect...but then I've yet to have a mom tell me their diaper pail is! The Dekor's bag liners are scented so that helps - not sure about the Genie or Champ liners.

Also I buy some citrus scented disks off some cloth diapering sites & toss that the bottom of the pail. Those help as well.

mudder17
10-28-2004, 11:55 AM
I also use the Dekor with my CD's and was expecting the odor to increase with the intro of solids. But I really don't smell much at all! Perhaps when she starts meat, I'll have to try one of those citrus disks, but for now, I don't have any problems with odor containment. However, every time to every other time I change the bag, I'll wipe down the container with a clorox wipe. I imagine that helps a little.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

steph01
10-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I have the Diaper Genie and like it, so I guess I'm the lone dissenter. But, it maybe significant to add that I have the redesigned model that just came out 4-5 months ago. It is much easier to use when compared to the models that my friends have.