PDA

View Full Version : Pampers swaddlers

Mayan
01-26-2003, 02:24 PM
I've been buying the Pampers swaddlers (the ones in the purple package) ever since DS was born (2 months ago) so I've gone through quite a few packages.
They all say on the front that the swadlers are with stretchie sides (as opposed to the Pampers baby dry in the green package), but only the last package that I bought actually has the stretchie side.
As a first time mom, I never really questioned what the stretchiness means, and now when I have 2 different diapers that came from similar packages could I tell the difference. (I had the non-stretchie kind in my diaper bag - unfortunately, I dont have the previous wrapper to compare.)
Could it be that Pampers had regular non-stretchie diapers in the Swaddler packs (which are more expensive, by the way)?
Has anyone else come across this? Or am I just imagining things?

August Mom
01-26-2003, 06:51 PM
You are not imagining this. Our newborn and size 1 Swaddlers did not have the stretchy sides. Then, our first pack of size 2 Swaddlers did. (And we did not like them as well). I went to my mother's house (where she likes to have diapers on hand for us) and she had size 2 Swaddlers without the stretchy sides. I did notice a difference on the packages. The packages with the stretchy sides have a diagram that shows that the tabs can be fastened in different places, including stretched completely across one another. However, I have found that this technique leaves less material over the leg and more opportunities for leaks there. I noticed when diaper shopping last time that the size 1 packages also were showcasing the stretch design. My guess is that the stretchy sides are the new improved version and that the non-stretchy sides are being phased out, but I don't know for sure.

Pampers definitely does not have "regular" (i.e. Baby Dry) diapers in the Swaddlers packages. I have used both Swaddlers and Baby Dry and the outside covering is definitely different. The Swaddlers are thicker and more cloth-like.

COElizabeth
01-26-2003, 10:03 PM
I've noticed the same thing with our newest pack. It seems like the new ones have less coverage on the basic diaper (as opposed to the tabs), and DS even has some skin showing between front and back of the diaper sometimes. It may be time to move up sizes. I didn't really like the stretchy sides at first, but after a few diapers I am getting used to them and now don't mind so much.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

bnme
01-26-2003, 11:01 PM
What else is different about the Baby Drys? I haven't tried thoose yet. I prefer the Pampers Swaddlers to Huggies -like the fabric better and the closures, haven't found much differnece in absorbancey or leakage (although Huggies seem to fit a lettle better (smaller??)).

My DS just moved up from the Newborn size, and aside from the cutout I noticed the fabric is differnet. I like the NB fabric better! I am hoping Baby Drys are more similar to these.

Momof3Labs
01-27-2003, 01:38 PM
I find that Baby Drys are basically the same as Swaddlers, except the outside covering is much more papery and crinkley. I haven't found a difference in absorbency.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

bnme
01-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Is it more like the covering for the NB size Swaddlers? Are the NB and size 1 Swaddlers always differnet coverings or did I just have older versions of the NB size (I got several packs at my shower in Oct and didn't purchase anymore, than just recently bought the size one size)?

I should just buy a pack so I can compare! But I havent found any BD's in other-than Jumbo size and wanted to just get a small package in case I don't like.

Momof3Labs
01-27-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't know - we didn't use newborn size Swaddlers because Colin was just too big for them from the get-go!

The smallest pack of Baby Dry's that I found was at Target - they have a pack that runs about $10 (can also get this size at BRU).

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

August Mom
01-27-2003, 03:52 PM
The covering on the newborn Swaddlers we used was the same as the covering on the size 1 and size 2 Swaddlers. The Baby Dry fabric is not as soft -- it's more like paper than cloth and it crinkles. The covering on Swaddlers is more like quilted fabric. I have found the sizing of the Baby Dry diapers to be comparable to the Swaddlers. The Baby Dry diapers have Little People animal designs on the band. The Swaddlers have Sesame Street designs on the band. Both Swaddlers and Baby Dry have double elastic at the legs. I think that absorbency is comparable. Because the Swaddlers are softer, they may mold to my baby's shape slightly better than the Baby Dry. The biggest difference between Swaddlers and Baby Dry now will be the tabs. The Swaddlers tabs now are very stretchy (similar to the Huggies Supreme tabs but I think they stretch even more) and attach to themselves. The Baby Dry diapers have velcro tabs, but they do not attach to one another and they do not stretch.

JElaineB
01-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Is your baby now is Size 3 diapers? That is the size that Pampers "premium" diapers switch from Swaddlers (size NB, 1 and 2 only, with quilted outer covering) to Custom Fit Cruisers (size 3+ and have the strechy sides). The more basic diapers Pampers makes are the Baby-Dry - no quilting or stretchiness at any size.

My baby is still in size 2, and I have been using Pampers Baby-Dry, I actually prefer them to the Swaddlers, and you get more diapers for the same price. However, when he hits size 3 I might try the Custom Fit Cruisers for the stretchiness. They sent me 2 as a free sample, so I will get to try them before deciding.

Jennifer
[email protected]
mom to Jacob born 9/27/02

bnme
01-31-2003, 04:52 PM
The NB SWaddlers I had had no quilting or stretchiness, so maybe they were an older version. Either way, I think I will try the Baby Dry since they sound more similar to the ones I liked. I guess the stretchiness will be more of an issue when they are more mobile.

brubeck
02-01-2003, 12:04 PM
If your only issue is the outer fabric, you might want to try switching to the Pampers Cruisers when your child reaches size 3. The Swaddlers have the fuzzy quilted covering, but the Cruisers have a non-quilted, non-fuzzy covering (although still cloth-like when compared to the Baby Dry).