PDA

View Full Version : Aren't these cute CDs...I want the giraffe ones :)

mama2be
01-18-2003, 12:35 PM
http://familyauction.com/cgi-bin/item.pl?item=30452

jojo2324
01-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Those are the most adorable things I have ever seen...Makes me want to switch teams...

On that note, how do you CDing moms find it to be? More or less work than disposables, is it cost-effective, easier than disposables, etc. My interest has been piqued. My youngest brother was CDed, but I was only ten then and didn't change so many diapers. Also, I don't think there is a diaper service in my area, so I would have to do it myself, but that what you're doing, right Beth?

egoldber
01-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Joanne, it isn't that bad. I do the wash myself. It is a bit more work, but not bad. I have to do a diaper laundry every other day or so to keep my pails empty. The good news is, even though I wash them every other day, I have enough diapers that I don't have to fold and put them away every other day. :) I usually let two or three clean laundry baskets pile up before I fold them all. :)

Personally, I think that the worst part is the TIME spent a) trying to figure out what the heck all the cloth diaper lingo MEANS and b) experimenting to find a system that works for you.

It is definitely cost efective if you don't get carried away. I have spent in the neighborhood of $600. Most, if not all, of these diapers should last Sarah through potty training. For a next baby, I am figuring I would need to spend another $200-$300 or so to fill in the newborn and infant size diapers that I don't have now. If I used all prefolds, I could have gotten a full system for about $300 that would take me from newborn to potty training. Total. And I would never "need" to spend another dime on diapering for any other babies. (OK, maybe some new covers.) For reference, I calculated I spent nearly $1000 on disposables for Sarah in the 14 months that I used them (That was 17 cents a diaper at 7 diaper changes a day).

HTH,

KathyO
01-18-2003, 09:11 PM
I suppose that technically it's more work than disposables, but I could probably measure the difference in minutes per week. Once you've got your routine down, it becomes automatic, and you hardly notice at all. If you have a washer/drier in the house, you're laughing. Certainly leaks and blow-outs became a thing of the past, and that's a labour-saver to add into the mix as well.

Cost-effective? I worked it out as approx. one-third the cost of disposables, and if you turn around and use them for a second child, they are practically free for that round. (If you don't, they still have a good resale value at that point.) I think I remember Beth posting the calculation she did.

It does require you to choose clothing a little more carefully, as some lines are designed to the very slim "disposable" silhouette, and we need a little more room in the bum, but it hasn't been a huge problem.

I still bought a few packages of disposables to use for travelling, but I find that for any trip under 4 days, cloth is just as easy anyway. Rashes have not been a particular problem... I am told that CD kids are easier to toilet train because they KNOW when they're wet, but I'll have to let you know on that one.

The famous "yuck factor"? Well, that's a personal thing. I have a couple of friends who would be ecstatic if they somehow managed to have a child who never excreted at all, so for them it would be a problem. For me, it's not. Sloshing the occasional _really_ messy one in the toilet and wringing it out (rubber gloves can be used) took a bit of getting used to the first few times, but now it's no biggie. Think about all the biological events and substances which have just become part of your daily scenery now!

If you want to give it a try, I can loan you a couple of MotherEase Sandies and One-sizes and covers to experiment with. There's lots of great styles out there - this is just what has happened to work for me. Just be sure to give it a few go's, as you'll find it awkward the first few times as you get the hang. One of my momfriends borrowed a couple to try, and for some reason chose a day when she was running errands to try them, so she didn't have access to a change table, and the baby was unsettled and impatient, so no wonder she found it difficult!

Cheers,

KathyO

jojo2324
01-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback...Beth, does Sarah seem more comfortable now that you've made the switch? I'm sure Gannon isn't that attuned to the feelings of his bum, but I would imagine that CDs would be more comfortable. Also, he is a rather large boy, already in size 5 diapers (at least with Pampers...Huggies fit in size 4 but don't work for us at all, with mucho leaking, gelly things all over him, and that awful medicinal smell that accompanies them). After size 6 disposables there's nothing but training pants. I've joked about having to move into Depends, but really, what's a big-babied mama to do?

Thanks for the offer Kate. I might take you up on that...I need to do a bit more research first. Thanks again!

egoldber
01-19-2003, 09:50 AM
I don't think that Sarah has really noticed one way or the other. I switched at 14 months. If I had switched at 18 or 20 months, it might have been different.

HTH,