PDA

View Full Version : More questions on CD (countour diapers?)

natividad
12-24-2002, 12:08 AM
Season's greetings! I was wondering if any of the CD moms have tried the contour diapers that Kissaluv makes. They are available through naturalbabies.com. The fact that they seem to "grow" with your baby caught my interest (as well as the price). Also, I was wondering what your thoughts were about the Kissaluv fitteds vs. the ME Sandies. I ordered the ME One Size and was not overly impressed with it (although I don't have a baby yet to practice with ;-)) From what I have read so far on this board, I get the impression from some of you that the Kissaluvs are more plush and cushy than the Sandies. I suppose I will need to order a sample of both to really get a feel for them. Lastly, is anyone else having trouble downloading information from naturalbabies.com? I am having the worst time downloading the info. from the site. It might be my computer though - it is a dinasaur :-(
Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Naty (March 03)

sparkeze
12-26-2002, 01:11 AM
I've never tried to contours, so I can't help you on that one, but I do have a kissaluvs and ME Sandys. The Sandys are definitely an improvement over the Onesize, IMO, and they fit my DS well. I do like them a lot. The Kissaluvs are a little short on the rise for my tastes. It only comes up to about an inch below DS's bellybutton, and especially since I have a boy I prefer having more in front. I would recommend the Sandys over the Kissaluvs, but you should try both to see what YOU like.

Another thing about the Kissaluvs - they come in 3 different options: cotton fleece, terry, or a combo. I have the combo, which is terry on the outside and fleece on the inside. I don't know how soft the all terry one would be on a baby's bum though.

AngelaS
01-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi. I have all fleece and fleece terry combo diapers from Kissaluvs. The combo ones are more absorbant than the all fleece ones. I too was interested in the new contour ones so I wrote Kissaluvs to inquire about absorbancy. Here's what I got in reply...
Basically, they are slightly modified "bodies" (2 layers) with an attached doubler (2-3 layers, varying sizes). The smallest size has a booster doubler (2 layers) attached; the larger size a super soaker doubler (2 layers terry, 1 fleece). Each size will also have a "plus" version with an extra layer of terry in the body.

small size standard ... akin to a size 0 aborbency
small size plus ... akin to a size 1 absorbency
large size standard ... akin to a size 2 absorbency, maybe a tad more
large size plus ... more than a size 2 absorbency

The contours dry faster than the fitteds since the doubler is not buried like a soaker layer. The way they're sewn also gives you sizing flexibility since you can fold the back or front different ways.

So you gain drying time, some absorbency (depending on size/type), less expensive price. You lose the elastic and snaps.

Hope that helps!

BethG
01-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I just ordered a Kissaluvs contour (standard, not plus) and I will let you know how I like it when I get it.

I use both Kissaluvs and ME Sandies. Both are VERY nice diapers. I personally think that Kissaluvs are a little more trim than the ME diapers and I like that. Mine are the all fleece and I have no absorbancy issues. I have read that the all fleece ones are much stretchier and you can use them longer because of this. Some people do not like the fact that the Kissaluvs diaper has a very low rise and prefer a more full diaper like the Sandy.

I also have a lot of Motherease Onesize, and while they don't feel as nice aesthetically to my fingers :-) they work great. I have just recently gotten brave enough, LOL, to start using them without the liner all the time, and they still work just fine and are a bit trimmer that way.

HTH,

natividad
01-07-2003, 02:33 AM
Thank you all for responding to my inquiry. I am definitely curious about these diapers. Beth, when you get your sample can you please let me know how you like them. Thanks!

Naty (March 03)

egoldber
01-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Sure! It shipped yesterday, so hopefully I will get it tomorrow.

egoldber
01-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I got my Kissaluvs contour yesterday. I only washed it once, so it probably wasn't at maximum absorbancy, but I liked it. It seemed similarly absorbant to the regular Kissaluvs. They do definitely dry faster and they have that same yummy fleecy feel as the regular Kissaluvs.

Once thing that some may like is that the rise is MUCH higher than on the Kissaluvs fitteds. It also fits very trimly. Sarah didn't poop in it, I'm afraid :) so I can't say how well it might contain poops.

At $6 each (for the M/L size, the NB/S is $5) they are 3 times more expensive than a CPF, but they are definitely easier to use than a prefold. But the fitteds are $10. Not that I need any more diapers mind you...

nohomama
01-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I just received a dozen Kissaluv contours seconds today. I haven't had a chance to use them yet (they're in the laundry now) but I wanted to suggest anyone interested in these to keep an eye on the Kissaluv's Outlet page. The contours were $50/dozen plus $7.50 shipping ($4.80 per dipe including shipping). A couple of weeks ago I also got a dozen fitted Kissaluvs, both fleece and fleece/terry combo, for $7.95 each.

The quality of all the diapers is excellent. There are only 2 diapers out of 24 that have obvious flaws. One has a red mark on it and on the other the serging around one of the legs is widely spaced.

They don't always have seconds available, so you have to be diligent about checking the page. I probably checked the page daily for two weeks before anything was offered. When they do have seconds, they go quickly

natividad
01-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Thank you Beth for posting your thoughts on the countours. I was wondering, what cover did you use with these diapers? Thanks!

Naty (March 03)

egoldber
01-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Hmmm. I don't remember! It just came out of the laundry this morning, so I'll pay more attention the next time I use ut! It was either a ME Airflow or a Prorap Classic, which is all I use anymore.

HTH,

natividad
01-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks!

Naty (March 03)

natividad
01-17-2003, 01:26 PM
One more thing Beth, I am thinking of getting 12 Kissaluvs countours and 12 CPF's (or maybe 24), plus 4-6 covers (ME Airflows) to start out with. Both the countours and CPF's could be used mostly for home use.

Now I have to decide whether to add fitteds. If there is not much of a difference between the countours and the fitteds (perhaps the only difference would be not having the elastic around the legs on the countours that the fitteds have), then would you advice to add more countours? I don't mind spending more money for these. I am even tempted to just get all 36 of the countours plus the covers to start my newborn with. What do you think?

I still have to decide also what to do for night diapering. Should I go with a fitted like the Sandy's with a doubler/liner? I don't think I will be into the Fuzzy Buns - sounds like too much work ;-)

Lastly, what do you use for when going out?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Naty (March 03)

nohomama
01-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Naty,

I know your question was to Beth but here's my opinion. Although I love the Kissaluvs contours after less than a week of using them, I wouldn't recommend getting 36 of them. When you're just beginning to use cloth diapers it's a good idea to try out a variety of things. You may love the contours too, but if you don't then you're stuck with 3 dozen diapers you don't like, nothing else to CD with, AND the prospect of reselling and replacing them with something else while taking care of a newborn. No fun.

In regards to the differences between fitted and contours, I think you WILL notice the absence of the elastic around the leg of the contour on a newborn. Their poops are runny and often explosive and a fitted would likely be better at containing it and sparing the cover. That said, I didn't get into fitteds until Lola was 5 or 6 months old. You can survive just using CPF and/or contours.

When we're out is when I often use disposables. Otherwise I use a Kissaluv fitted and a cover.

HTH,

natividad
01-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Thank you Sarah for your suggestions. I have to keep reminding myself that I should try out different types of diapers first.

I think what I will do is get a day's worth of diapers - 12 CPF's, a couple of countours and a couple of fitteds, plus the covers and see what happens. I do think I will be leaning towards the Sandy's because of the higher rise. Thanks once again for your valuable input.

Naty (March 03)

egoldber
01-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, I agree with Sarah to try before you buy lots! What works for one baby (or mama) may not work for you. Contours are definitely more economical than fitteds and less trouble than prefolds (in my opinion). They are not as tight as a fitted, obviously, so poop, especially newborn poop, will be more likely to escpae the diaper and get on the cover.

I would get 6 each to have 18 on hand (about a day and half supply) and see what you think. Then add more of what you like.

I wouldn't worry too much about nighttime diapering initially. Newborns are changed so often that it is weeks if not months before you need to worry about the extra absorbancy required of a "nighttime" diaper for a baby sleeping several hours in a row.

When going out, I use Bumkins AIOs. But for a newborn, I would think that a Kissaluvs contour would be very convenient.

I am in the midst of a love-hate relationship with my FuzziBunz. I LOVE them, in theory, but Sarah is between sizes so they aren;t working for me. The Medium does not fit, the Large is too large and the inbetween size (Petite Toddler) is better, but still leaks sometimes. So I am not using mine at the moment. I am experimenting to find my new night time "solution".

HTH,

natividad
01-18-2003, 10:59 PM
A huge thanks Beth for answering my questions. All this information is SO useful!!!

Naty (March 03)