PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Cloth Diapers: What do I NOT need!?

csa12
01-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I think I went a little overboard in buying cloth diapers and need as many second opinions as I can get. (Please!) I have been over and over what I think I NEED vs. what I WANT and just can't decide. Here is the stash I have put together so far:

24 unbleached pre-washed infant CPFs (unreturnable)
6 Newborn Covers (a stacinator, 2 pro-raps, 3 Bummis SIWW) unreturnable b/c I washed them & I want to keep them.
4 Kissaluvs size 0 fleece (wanted to see if these could stretch into a wider range of sizes than the terry/fleece combo)

I have read in the posts to not spend too much at the newborn stage b/c they grow so fast. So, I am worried that I won't get my money's worth with the Kissaluvs. Also, is it worth it to even experiment with the AIOs at this stage or should I wait until baby is older? I wanted to get a variety of things, so attempted to create my own personalized "sampler package" but freaked when I saw how much I have spent so far almost $300!! Just for the newborn stage! At this point I want to make sure I am spending $$ on things that are useful at the newborn stage and not a waste (like how I heard Fuzzi Bunz are with newborns).

Appreciate your thoughts,
Cheryl :)
Due 1/23/03 w/ #1

mama2be
01-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Cheryl,

I am new to this too...but keep in mind that it appears even if they are used that you can recoup a good chunk of your money back if you end up seeling them on Ebay...AND you can probably use them for future children if that is in your plan. So even though you've spent $300 for the "new born phase", if you have two children that would be $150...or you coauld even sell them. I thik your kissiluvs will get a good return. Mys tash is very simple but it is becasue I splurged on other things...I would have spent more if I could have :)

Just my thoughts!!!

egoldber
01-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Personally, I would keep what you have. It's a nice variety and you'll get a feel for what you like. The re-sale on newborn diapers is GREAT because they see relatively little use compared to the larger sizes. So you will probably get 75%-100% of your money back on those anyway.

Just think, if you were using disposables for two months, you'd probably easily spend $150 (with no opportunity for re-sale :) ).

FYI, I have read of many people using the fleece Kissaluvs for LONG periods of time. Someone on the ParentsPlace board said that their 6 month old was still wearing 0's. My DD EASILY still fits in size 1 fleece Kissaluvs at 17 months. They are VERY stretchy.

When I have baby #2, I plan to order up a whole newborn stash myself. :)

If it makes you feel better, you could return the AIOs. :)

csa12
01-13-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback! It definately helps to get a second opinion. That is totally true about the resale and reuse value of these diapers. I can't forget about that. I definately want to stick with cloth for how many other children we have so $300 should be considered an investment.

It's weird. DH is totally on board with whatever stash I end up with so although he is 100% supportive of me and CD, I can't help but feel guilty. (I am a former spend-freak who has converted to obsessive bargain shopping--so I constantly want to prove to him that I have changed!) He justs rolls his eyes and laughs at my self-fabricated issues! :)

If I do anything I may exchange the fleece/terry kissaluvs for all fleece.

Thanks again for the feedback!

nohomama
01-14-2003, 12:12 AM
I think your stash is fine as is. It's a nice mix of things and will help you figure out what works and what your preferences are. Exchanging the fleece/terry Kissaluvs for all fleece is probably fine since you'll be changing your newborn so frequently that you won't need the extra absorbtion.

If you really feel the need to change what you've got, I'd tell you to exchange the fitteds and AIOs for the next size up and buy another dozen unbleached CPF. Infant sized prefolds should last 6 months or more and after that can be used as doublers or FB inserts. Moving up a size in the fitteds and AIOs will mean you won't be able to use them right away, but you'll likely be able to use them for longer than you would a newborn size. This "solution" doesn't save you any money though, in fact you'd spend more, so I'd encourage you to stick with what you have and tweak things when you order the next round and know more about what you like.