PDA

View Full Version : unbleached vs. bleached cd's-is there really a difference?

csa12
01-07-2003, 12:50 AM
I am interested in cloth diapering and wondered if people found a major difference (besides the amount of pre-washing) between bleached and unbleached pre-folds. I have looked back at previous posts and some people noticed that unbleached prefolds are softer, what other differences do people notice and which do you prefer?

Thanks for any info you can provide,
Cheryl :)
Due 1/23/03

joodyjr
01-07-2003, 01:13 AM
I ended up getting rid of 3 dozen bleached in favor of my unbleached. They are much softer! I just turned my hot water heater up, washed and dried them 3 times on HOT HOT HOT and they came out wonderfully quilted and soft.

I just wash them on regular hot now with the rest of the diapers.

That was the only difference I saw. I prefer fitted diapers, but occasionally put her in a prefold. I also use them to stuff Fuzzi Bunz.

egoldber
01-07-2003, 01:42 AM
I agree, unbleached prefolds are MUCH softer. If you order from naturalebaby.com and order a dozen, you can get them pre-washed for free. That's what I did.

HTH,

csa12
01-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi Beth,
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I ended up ordering prefolds from Amanda at Naturalebaby and she was so helpful. She only had bleached prefolds available for the pre-washing special when I ordered, but I figured I would have plenty of time during the next stage of diapering to try unbleached. The price overall was very reasonable too.

Thanks again,

mama2be
01-11-2003, 08:57 PM
It seems I hear more raves for unbleached....but having said that I have purchased what is called DSQ (Diaper Service Quality) PFs that are called "European Prefolds" and not the Chinese PFs...I might not ever know if I did the right thing but bought them because they were highly recommended to me on this board by Melissa and then when I went to the two sites that sold them and Chinese PFS both owners of the companies seemed to like/endorse/prefer the Europeans more...

I had to ask them if the European PFs were bleached or non and it does end up that they are bleached...

Here is the info I found about them with lil blurbs about them...

http://www.weebees.com/departments.asp?dept=15

The other link involves you pulling up www.ebay.com and doing a seach udner the seller who is known as granitesmith...she was delightful in helping me and that is who I ordered from...but both have a schpiel about them...here is the link there, these are the newborn ones...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26269&item=2074933370

HTH :)

csa12
01-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info! I was debating on whether to exchange my bleached for unbleached, but after talking to Amanda at NaturalEBaby she said the bleached should get even softer after a few more washes. SO that is one less issue I have to obsess about! Probably when I move on to the next stage I will try unbleached or the Euro PFs.

Thanks again,