PDA

View Full Version : Covers for CDs

SuzanneBH
01-06-2003, 04:40 PM
I've been CDing since DS was a few weeks old, and I'm looking for a few new diaper covers. Currently, we have diaperraps and bummis. (OK, I admit it, I'm bored with what we have.)

We use a diaper service, so I need covers suitable for CPFs.

Any recommendations?

Suzanne (formerly Zansu)
Mom to Benjamin 5/1/02

nohomama2
01-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Imse Vimse Bumpy Day, Bumpy Night, and Bumpy Wool are all good covers and the Day and Night come in cute prints. Polar Babies are also nice though because they're fleece they wick and can leave baby's clothes feeling dampish. My current favorite is the Motherease Airflow cover.

I'd suggest looking on ebay for covers. I've been trolling there lately looking for fitted dipes and have seen a blue ton of covers.

HTH,

BethG
01-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Do you Snappi or pin? If so, check out the Motherease Airflow. It is my favorite cover and I have tried many. It isn't really suitable if you just lay a prefold in a wrap though.

My second favorite is the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (not sure which Bummis cover you use), followed by Proraps. I'm not very fond of Bumkins covers myself, but many people like them. My personal experience has been that all these covers (Bummis, Bumkins and Proraps) run a little small.

I just ordered 4 more ME Airflows in the next size up, since the rise in the Medium/Large size I have been using is getting a little short for my DD.

Sarah (nohomama), I am curious about your experience if you end up buying used covers (or diapers). I have picked up a couple diapers used and have been a bit disappointed in what I got for the price, so I have been buying new.

nohomama2
01-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I think you have to be picky when buying used diapers and covers. I've gotten probably 4-6 covers and a dozen contour diapers used and have purchased them all at my local consignment shop (were I can see what I'm getting). I've never successfully bid for any on ebay...sellers often charge exorbitantly for shipping and I calculate that into the cost per diaper/cover, meaning my bids are low. At any rate, I've never bid on anything that isn't "new in package" or in "excellent/like new condition."

Seconds are another good way to save money on diapers and covers. They're new, but have flaws in the sewing/stitching, are oddly shaped, and/or have dirt or other marks on them, etc.

Zansu
01-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Ladies,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Right now, we just use a CPF and a cover; no pins or snappi. My favorite cover is the Bummi Super Whisper Wrap.

I have two objectives in trying new covers: to try something new and to find something that's easy to use for DS's DC. Right now, they go through as many covers each day as I send. I remind them that they can be used several times, but I still get a sackfull of covers each night.

Thanks again
Suzanne

mama2be
01-08-2003, 01:35 PM
I have no suggestions...but wanted to add that on my "wish list" for Tristan's shower I have put the Imse Vimse (Bumpy) Wool covers. the best prices I have found on them are at Chesapeake diaper company...here they are...for some reason they perked my interest and since then I have noticed endorsements for them...

I was going to order the day and night too...is it a good thing to have non white thoguh I was afraid they'd show thru his clothes...so I have steared away from non white...

http://www.chesapeakediaperco.com/COVERS.htm#ImseVimse Bumpy Wool Covers

sparkeze
01-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Neve - Here's a couple more sites that have the Bumpy wool:
www.naturalebaby.com $18.50
www.naturalbabies.com $18.95
www.kellyscloset.com $19.95 (free shipping)

Naturalebaby has free shipping for over $90 and NaturalBabies has free shipping for over $150, so if you have things to buy they could be good choices, but if you just want the one thing, Kelly's Closet is probably the best option. I just received one from Kelly's Closet along with a bottle of lavender eucalan (they definitely have the best price for that!) and the cover looks nice. I can't use it yet because it's too big! I wasn't sure what size to order because DS always seems to fit into covers that are a little bigger than his weight range so I ordered a bigger one because I figured even if it doesn't fit I can always save it and use it later. And it's definitely too big! So I'm going to order one in a smaller size.

Melanie
01-09-2003, 07:08 PM
An opinions on these?

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
01-09-2003, 07:31 PM
I have never used one, but they get very postive feedback in general on the ParentsPlace and Mothering diapering boards. You may want to search the Mothering board for any feedback.

HTH,

mama2be
01-09-2003, 08:00 PM
thanks for the info...keep me posted how you like it...I don't know why I was drawn to that one...I think the little logo :)...

Melanie
01-10-2003, 04:35 AM
Thanks. I wandered over there...hehehe...Fuzbaby diapers for $75! Oh MY!

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
01-10-2003, 09:09 AM
I know! But it's "diaper art"! My DH would DIE!

For anyone curious, check out www.fuzbaby.com and click on the "Diaper Garden".

AngelaS
01-10-2003, 09:12 AM
When dd was a newborn, I loved my cpfs w/ProRaps covers. They held in bf poop SO well! I think in 6 months we had like 3 leaks! Disposables leaked WAAAY more often than that! :) I would definitely recommend a Snappi tho. It's really very easy to use and helps hold in poop even better! :D

I have one fleece cover made by a WAHM and I don't like if for several reasons. 1. It leaks through almost every time. I can put a diaper and a ProRap on dd and she's fine for 2 or more hours. I put the fleece cover on over the same diaper and in 2 hours, she's wet. 2. It's bulky. So many little girl clothes have tighter leggings type pants and fleece is WAAAY to bulky.

The above reasons are also why I didn't like the wool cover I had. It was a very well rated WAHM cover, but it leaked (even after being lanolized) and gave dd a HUGE diaper butt. LOL

mama2be
01-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Love the watermellon one...diaper of pink with seeds and cover of green...also loved the blue cover with the fish...but the others are way to busy for me...

Tahnks for sharing that link nice to look at :)

mama2be
01-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Angela I have PFs and Prowarap covers waiting for newborn...did you trifold or do the "wing thing"...

I have cut fleece with wings, so not shaped like a doubler anctually shaped more like a diaper that I was going to line them with...

I hear mixed things about trifolding...I know all babies are different and different people do different things that work but was curious what you did since you used the same products as I will... :)

AngelaS
01-10-2003, 05:06 PM
I tried the trifold thing and wound up with poop all over the inside of the cover every time! That fold works fine now that my dd is 8 months old tho and only poops a few times a day and more solid when she does. :)

When she was a newborn tho, I did the wing thing and used a Snappi. That works great to hold poop in!

csa12
01-10-2003, 05:46 PM
I am just curious, what is the "wing thing"? Is that when you open up the back of the prefold to wrap around the baby to pin or snappi?

Cheryl :)

mama2be
01-10-2003, 06:03 PM
I didn't know what else to call it...but yes that is what I meant :)

I might have boo boo'd because someone recommended the trifold and then they cut their fleece with the "wings" thus it looks kind of hour glass looking, I cut 24 of them but maybe should go buy some more and have some that resemble the typical "sanitary napkin" shape incase the trifold does not work and I have to do the "wing thing"...

this gal had a trifold in the cover and then her fleece is what wrapped around the baby and their upper leg...it seemed to make sense at the time...

I also bought fleece from the local walmart and assume it is not this mm fleece...hope that it works, it sure is soft :)