PDA

View Full Version : I'm discouraged with CDing and baby isn't even here yet...

mama2be
12-27-2002, 11:56 PM
Yikes...I've been pretty proud of myself jumping in and researching and trying to buy what i thought was practical to CD. Well I have practiced alittle over the past few days (not with anything just folding them ont heir own with all of the sruff inside) and am very discouraged and want to toss what I have...hopefully someone with experience here can tell me what to do.

I have my 36 PF's, and tons of Prowraps, (and via touch the Gerbers actually feel nicer, but I assume the Prowraps are the thing since they were consistently endorsed). And I've cut 26 fleece liners with "wings" so that I can do the trifold method. Actually my fleece things are the only thing that is corporating...

These PF's are sticking way out, I took advice and folded them up an inch from the "short side" and they are still way too big, I mean I am having to fold them a good 3-4 inches to even fit in the newborn cover. Then you add the fleece (which really takes up nothing) and they are so bunchy and thick my DH thinks I am crazy to even consider putting such a "brick" on the baby (I know my friends will chime in)...

Please help what I can I do with these, can I sacrafice the PFs for the "newborn stage" and have a seamstress just hem them a good 3 inches...

I am seriously about to toss all of it...I really ahve spent a lot time trying to do what is right here and am VERY frustrated...

Thanks...buying more stuff or AIO's etc... is not an option...if I can't make it work with what I have then I will have to switch to disposables...

UGHHH I am so upset...

joodyjr
12-28-2002, 12:49 AM
Well, I've only been CD'ing about 9 or so weeks now, but it's old hat to me now. I just slap (not literally) a dipe on her and away we go... LOL.

Don't fret, don't give up. It's terribly overwhelming. I've taken on some major research projects, and cloth diapers have been the most time consuming and diverse to date.

I pop on this board from time to time, but I don't remember your stash exactly, but you mention CPF's and proraps in this post....

I started with 3 doz bleached CPF's and 12 unbleached in infant size. I ended up selling all the bleached on Ebay and keeping the unbleached. While I love them, I only use them when I'm all out of fitteds. I found a Prefold with joey bunz or two prefolds together to be fine. When she was teeny tiny, I folded the back down about an inch for a better fit. I used CPF's for several weeks before discovering the wonderful world of WAHM diapers. I fasten them with a snappi. I love that snappi!!

The proraps. hmmm.... I read alot of great things about them too, so I bought a dozen +. My first mistake was ordering newborn size. They are just really small. I had ordered them from Naturalbabies.com and she was able to exchange them for me for smalls. I really never found the love with them. I found Imse Vimse Bumpy's to be the best best best covers. I love them. They work well over CPF's, and kissaluv's!

But, that's just the beginning of my adventure. Long story short, I now use fitted's exclusively and CPF's if we run out or I'm just wanting a change of scenery so to speak. I have a ton of joey bunz, so I guess I feel guilty for them just sitting there unused and put a prefold on just to use the joey bunz.

I have found several WAHM diapers to fit the bill just wonderfully. I still love Kissaluvs and use Mother Ease Airflow covers occasionally. In my case, I kind of got out of control ordering from many many different places, but I think it worked out because I got to try so many different diapers, I've now found what works very well for us.

If you think you've err'ed in your purchases, don't worry, sell them on Ebay or WAHMALL.com. Cloth diapers do very well on auctions. I came very close to recovering all costs when I sold my covers and CPF's on ebay.

I do think you will like Prefolds, I just think you'll be happier with Proraps in small instead of newborn size. I also recommend trying one or two Bumpy's covers. Bummis also worked very well. Both can be found at Naturalbabies.com, an online vendor I highly recommend!

I can go through an entire day with just 2 covers for my exclusively breastfed DD. Granted fitteds do a much better job containing poo, but if a little gets on the cover, I use a baby wipe and wipe it off. I've found PUL covers dry very quickly after washing.

I've ended up with several different types of diapers and covers including some fleece and wool. It's almost an obsession anymore. I'm always checking different sites for new diapers. I definitely haven't saved any money doing this, but it can be done well, and conservatively, financially speaking.

I wish I could be more help, but I do want to offer encouragement. I was honestly very nervous about starting to cloth diaper, and that was when DD was 1 week old and I had this big ole stash of diapers. My mom was with me that week and she showed me how to pin the diapers, and fold them (that was also the one and only day I used pins, the snappi's are the best!). Now, I show Mom a thing or two about diapers.

To be honest I only use one "official" AIO, Bumkins. I like it very much, but it's second string in the diaper drawer. The other is a Darling Diaper, which is an AIO, but it has a removable soaker. Same principle, better design.

So, don't give up. Don't hesitate to e-mail me, I'd love to try and help if I can!!!

[email protected]

corrie
12-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Neve,
I wouldn't het too discouraged just yet. I too have tried to practice with my CPFs and covers but the reality is that until I actually put the diaper on my real child, I have no idea what will work well and what won't.

A few things: first, I assume that you are using infant sized CPFs as opposed to regular or premiums (which would be way too big for a newborn). From what I understand, you do still need to fold up a portion of the PF to shorten the length, but that is desirable...it puts more absorbancy where you need it and it aids in the creation of a "poo pocket" that will help catch poo and keep it from leaking out of your diaper. When I tried folding my infant CPF and snappied them, they were very similar in size and bulk to newborn kissaluvs, so I don't think the bulk would be a problem.

If you are still terribly concerned about the infant PFs being too big, I would NOT have them chopped up and made smaller (babies are tiny for a very short time). Instead I would consider buying preemie CPFs, but I really don't think this will be necessary....you also have no idea what size your baby will be at birth.

Don't get yourself all worked up about problems you haven't even had yet. Wait until the baby is born. Get to know baby (size, shape, elimination habits) and your diapering system, and become more familiar with the different ways to fold a diaper (newspaper fold, origami fold, etc.) and make changes then. Don't assume that the system you've chosen won't work before you've even given it a try.

Good luck...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!

-Corrie

joodyjr
12-28-2002, 12:50 PM
I meant to add, I use Infant Prefolds, and they were never too big on DD, even at 1 week old. She weighed 7lb 7oz and I only folded about an inch in the back.

mama2be
12-28-2002, 01:29 PM
I feel alot better now...someone on the PP diaper board recommended at the newborn stage actually using washcloths or soakers, doublers and skipping the PFs all together.

I swear I was having my first pregnancy "melt down" last night with these things in my lap...and then you have DH (who really is a dear) holding them up and saying "this is bulky...this can't fit on him...now what are you doing"...It's enough to make me run off into the bathroom and hide from him until I have it all figured out. IF I have one more person look at me and say "why are you doing THAT????" with their nose all cringeled up I think I will explode. I've had several folks say that to me and once we get to talking they all admit they considered the option or even tried it so I wonder why they would ask it that way...

Thanks for your suggestions...I'm hanging in there with it all, they're not in the trash yet :)...

KathyO
12-28-2002, 03:52 PM
I can't offer too much specific help on the PF front, but I will say that all new babies look like they are being swallowed up by their cloth diapers. Here is your poor little spindly-legged delicate newborn darling, whom you are certain is going to fall apart if you so much as BREATHE on him/her, and here's this big awkwardly-folded WAD of cloth (awkward because you haven't had any real practice yet) wrapped around their middle!

So when you first try cloth diapers, don't worry if they look strange to your eye. You'll get better at it, baby will fill out, and before you know it you can change a diaper in the dark, or on a car's back seat, or while holding a telephone conversation!

Cheers,

KathyO

Melanie
12-29-2002, 02:46 AM
When you say "WAHMs" what do you mean? Is it just that ANY diaper made by a WAHM is better, or are you talking about a specific one?

THX.

Mommy to Jonah

mama2be
12-29-2002, 07:26 AM
I asked this same question several weeks ago (keep in mind I am very new to this CD thing). I might be leaving something out or "off" a bit...but I believe it is diapers that are made, or distributed by women who work at home and run these "diaper business". A lot of folks like to support them (understandably) so try to use them...

I think it was KathyO that brought up a good point that many of the non WAHM business are "WAHM roots", in that they were business from home that took off and are now run out of a home...but the philosophies are the same...

This has been my impression of what the terms mean when applied to the CD biz...

egoldber
12-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Most all fitted cloth diapers are made by WAHMs. Some are smaller WAHMs than others. I have tried a few of the diapers made by some of the smaller WAHMs and haven't found them to be any better than the "big names" like Motherease or Kissaluvs or FuzziBunz.

With cloth diapers, it's all about how a diaper fits YOUR baby, not how it fits someone else's baby.

HTH,

egoldber
12-29-2002, 09:24 PM
It'll be OK! You can read and read, but until you put a diaper on a baby, it's hard to visualize how it all works. But it will work! And you can do it!

And the diaper can be somewhat bulky. So what? With premium size prefolds, I have to fold up at least 2-4 inches on Sarah to make it fit her. I find the "regular" size prefold fit her so much better than the premiums that everyone raves about. To be honest, this is one reason I prefer fitteds! There is far less guess work and folding involved!

Give yourself a few days to get the hang of it. What's the worst that can happen? A little pee or poop escapes (and that's gonna happen no matter what!). So you throw another outfit in the HUGE pile of laundry. Who notices?

I think you have a lot of nerve for going bravely forward on the cloth diaper route. It's only natural to be nervous about this (and other things) as the baby day draws near, but it'll all work out. Soon you'll have that baby and you'll be into that "mommy groove". :)

HTH,

joodyjr
12-29-2002, 09:24 PM
My favorite WAHM diapers are SOS by Christiansen Creations. They are hands down, my absolute favorite, over Fuzzibunz and Motherease. But it's true, what works for my DD doesn't mean it's the standard for all babies. I've gone through A LOT of diapers trying to find what works best for us. It just so happens that the diapers I favor are WAHM diapers. I read rave reviews of Fuzzi Bunz, but to be honest, I don't care for them. Now that Emily is getting bigger and her legs are filling out, they are working out better than they did, I still wouldn't put them in my top 5 list of favorite diapers.

Sugar Peas are another good example of WAHM diapers. Carrie sews diapers in her home in between raising her two daughters. Unfortunately, as with her and other WAHM sites, the diapers are very hard to come by. I buy as many as I can get my hands on when their instock stores are filled.

I did spend a lot more money than I intended in my pursuit to cloth diaper, but I'm glad I got a little bit of everything to try. I'm very happy with our "system" and can just sell what doesn't work on Ebay. I had some diapers and covers that Emily only wore once or not at all.

joodyjr
12-29-2002, 09:26 PM
Hey, we posted at the same time.
I just realized, she's worried about the diapers.. she should be worried about how she's going to get that baby out!!! LOL
Just kidding, it's a piece of cake!

Don't give up, it ALL gets easier!

:7

mama2be
12-30-2002, 11:36 AM
OH you're mean!!!!! :):):)

What's the term when you focus your energy on the issue that is not the real issue??? I would agree I just might be doing that. I swear my tummy is growing and growing so fast lately (I've gained 11 pounds as of last Friday) but looking at me it appears I am delivering twins and still have two months to go)...I am all "front end"!!!

I was in Marshalls the other day shopping and one kid just said "daddy...daddy...daddy..." I swear like a broken record for 5 minutes and the father was ablivious (ignored the child and left us to listen to it)...that alone was enough to have me clamp these legs together and never let the baby come out :)

sparkeze
12-30-2002, 12:46 PM
I do agree with the previous posters that diapering is not the most important thing to worry about...in fact, I had been planning to use cloth before DS was born but after using disposable for the first couple weeks I just didn't have time to think about switching. I think I did decide to switch when I actually got a breather - at 6mo! Well, that's an overstatement but you get what I mean!

Newborns get changed at least 12 times a day. I wouldn't be surprised if you might get up to 16 times in a 24 hour period. After a few days of this you'll wonder what the fuss was all about since at that point you can do it when you're a walking zombie...which you may be most of the time anyways!

But all kidding aside, spend the last 2 months of your pregnancy enjoying your time alone and with your hubby. After your baby's born you'll wish you would have taken more advantage of this time! I was really anxious and excited before DS was born about the inns and outs of having a baby but there's really nothing to completely prepare you for what it's going to be like. You'll be exhausted, sleep-deprived, achy, and all that, but everytime you get a chance to take a deep breath and gaze at your baby you'll be reenergized to do it all another day. I do wish I would've done more things I had wanted to do that you can't do with a baby before DS was born. So let me live vicariously through you! Do some fun things!

egoldber
12-30-2002, 02:36 PM
Absolutely!!!

If you want to live vicariously for me too :) go see every movie I really want to see right now. We haven't seen a movie in a theater since last December!!

mama2be
12-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Funny you all say that because last night I told Steve that I wanted to go to New Orleans...(never been). He said "when???" I said "next week" :)

mamahill
12-30-2002, 11:17 PM
I'm green with envy. Going anywhere now is a huge production.

A friend of mine is going to CD, and has been adamant about it for the past 10 years (this will be her first baby) - way to go! - but she has already stockpiled disposables for the first 2-3 weeks because she isn't sure what to expect in the fatigue department. I mention this only because I wouldn't scrap the whole CD idea, but I would have some disposables. That way if you happen to have a really small baby, or you just don't have the energy to juggle CDing along with no sleep, breastfeeding, healing in all regions, taking care of stitches (hopefully not!), sore nipples, bleeding, etc., you'll have a back-up method.

And by all means, ENJOY this time with DH. I was unemployed (thank you dot-com bust) a few months before having Ainsleigh and have NEVER regretted the time I had to spend on myself just relaxing, reading, and doing whatever either by myself or with DH. Even now I look back and think, "Ah, good times!"

joodyjr
01-01-2003, 01:26 AM
I agree with the disposable diapers for the first week or so idea. I was nervous to start CD'ing Emily. I don't know why but I kept procrastinating. My mom was here the second week and I decided to just do it. She showed me how to pin the diaper. That's when I discovered Snappi's! Love em!

My first week with Emily, I was full of adrenaline. I cleaned, did the laundry, kept up with my 2 year old to just about the same extent as when I was pregnant. The next week, I crashed. Hard. I'm still recovering and she's 10 weeks old today.. LOL. Just kidding. I wish I had of taken people up on their offer to do stuff. I'm just weird that way I guess.

If you need to, use disposables the first week or so, (especially with the meconium poopy!). Just worry about resting and getting to know your baby. Then you can begin exploring the wonderful world of cloth diapers! It is fun, actually. Emily wears disposables to bed at night (don't ask me why, that's just what we do :)) and in the morning, when I change her out of that stinky icky disposable and put a soft, fleecy or velvety diaper on her little tushy, I know how comfy she is. That makes me feel good.

AngelaS
01-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi. I'm a newbie to the boards, but I've been cding dd#2 for 6 months now. I bought infant sized cpfs and newborn proraps to use when she was tiny. I didn't start using them until she was about 2.5 weeks old tho. I needed time to recover before I started hauling diapers to the basement laundry room! LOL

I found in the beginning that the 'fold a cpf in thirds and lay in the cover' was a myth. LOL Newborn poo is RUNNY! A Snappi is a lifesaver (and cover saver). We only ever had one 'poop out the leghole' incident and that was when I didn't use a Snappi. :)

When dd outgrew the infant cpfs at about 4 months of age, I resold them thru one of the cding boards online for almost what I paid for them. My ProRaps went too for the same price I paid for them. :)