PDA

View Full Version : CD moms which fastener do you use

mama2be
12-06-2002, 03:11 PM
I should have started my bio off in the "lounge"...My name is Neve and I am a NUT!!!! Now I have spent all last night and this morning on the internet reading about cloth diapers. DH is probably going to pack his bags and leave me...I'm a nut!!! He is actually being such a trooper and letting me "do my thing". Poor thing he was raised with tons of neices and nephews that pretty much lived in his childhood home so he knows all about babies, I only know what I have learned from all of you (which by the way is tons)....

I see there are pins...Di-D Klips...and Snappy Diaper Fasteners...
What are your experiences with these...

I thank god I am not having a girl...if I were I know I would want to buy these emboidered covers for her, even the ruffle ones...I found one site that had the cutest covers I have ever seen. I need to rob a bank.

Here is the site for those cute girl covers
http://store.keesterkovers.com/products/results2.asp?Sub=16

IF you all catch me drifting into addiction and I start using expensive words like AIO's, and all I need you all to be there for me and focus me back onto "prefolds...inexpensive covers"....:):):)

egoldber
12-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Neve, I either use a Snappi on my pefolds or just fold them in thirds and lay them in a velcro wrap. I have found that the Snappi is great and very easy to use. I use it when I use a premium prefold since I have found them to be too large to just lay in a wrap.

I am afraid that even though I sing the praises of prefolds, after coming back from my Thanksgiving travels, I promptly ordered enough AIOs so that I can use them full-time when we travel.

I now have enough diapers for 3 "systems". :) I have enough to AIO all the time, I have enough to use fitteds all the time, and I have enough prefolds to just do that too!!!

Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to choose what type of diaper to use that day depending on my mood, etc.

Also think about using cloth wipes too. I stocked up on a bunch of super cheap baby washcloths, and I use those now for my wipes.

And my personal experience has been that you get what you pay for in a cover. While the cheaper covers work OK, I find that I get the best results with more expensive covers like the Motherease Airflow and the Bummis Wrap.

HTH,

mama2be
12-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Beth,

That's my fear that I'm going to keep buying, I was almost tempted to just do all AIO's but when I think of it like washing the cover each time, and longer to dry it made me decide to do prefolds first. I might be wrong but I feel like if I just expose myself to one way I won't get swamped with different purchases. I guess I just know myself too well.

Have you seen these covers my imsevimse??? they are the chesapeake diapering service. I thought of maybe spoiling myself and getting one of the wool ones to try. They looked really really nice.

DH is getting stir crazy from the ice storm we have ben held hostage by so I am being called away from my latest addiction...he's amking me go to Lowe's and Home Depot (far cry from diapers)....ughh...

egoldber
12-06-2002, 06:42 PM
I have not tried wool covers, but many people love them. I believe that you need to hand wash these, so that knowledge has been enough to keep me from being tempted!

I have also found that AIOs don't take any longer to dry for me than anything else.

HTH,

nohomama
12-06-2002, 10:39 PM
I used Imse Vimse covers when Lola was younger. Earthbaby.com has a package called "Just the Wraps" that I highly recommend. It includes something like a ProWrap, a Bummis Whisper Wrap, a Polar Baby, and one each of the Imse Vimse Bumpy Day, Bumpy Night, and Wool covers. It's a great way to try out different covers and see what you like and what works for you.

Wool covers are nice especially for night time diapering. I periodically hand wash mine in Euclean (sp?) Wool Wash, but machine wash and line dry them otherwise.

In terms of the fasteners, I've never used them. I've used prefolds from the get go (with a sprinkling of contored and fitted diapers) and have always just secured them with the cover.

HTH,

mama2be
12-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I'll take a look at the "just the wraps" campaign, that sounds like what I need. They do say for the imsy vimse to hand wash...

The gal who I purchased my prefolds from (MelissaTC) recommended her, and I must say I was wowed by her response and accuracy with info and trying to help me. But she said she thinks I could just get away with folding and putting in the cover.

I purchased 24 European PF from her (used to be made in china she said but now in Europe) and 6 covers. I hardly spent anything but will now take my time and start adding the other stuff.

I want to get some of those paper liners but if you do the math those paper liners are 1/3 the cost of each disposable diaper. Not like that 6cents each is going to get noticed but when you look at it that way it is suprising...

Thanks ladies!!!

egoldber
12-07-2002, 04:27 PM
You can wash the liners that are only peed on and re-use them. I probably get several uses out of each one. I am still on my first roll of 100 after a couple months.

HTH,

mama2be
12-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Oh I didn't know that...

Do these things stick to the diaper or are they separated from the diaper when you wash them??? When using prefolds???

Do you put them over these soakers/doublers that you all talk about and if you do then I assume they separate fromthem as well???

That makes me feel better about using them, do you get those on line too???

Thanks!!!

egoldber
12-07-2002, 08:48 PM
You just lay them on top of everything else so that it's the top layer. I don't usually bother to separate them, I just dump them in the pail with everything else.

I order mine on-line. I am using a roll of Kushies brand liners right now. I just received a roll of rice paper liners from naturalbabies.com, but I haven't used them yet.

Many people just use fleece liners. You can make these yourself by just buying a 1/2 yard or so of fleece and cutting them into rectangles (mine are approximately 5"x12" ). I made some of these too. I usually use the fleece liners at night (because Sarah very seldom poops at night) and the paper liners during the day.

HTH,

sparkeze
12-07-2002, 11:02 PM
I actually have never used a prefold, except once in a Fuzzi Bunz, so I don't have any info to offer about fastening but...

I haven't tried all that many covers but my favorite is the Motherease Airflow. I'm not sure if there are a lot of people who like it, but all the moms in my playgroup love them too. I think you will probably find a preference after using a couple different styles. I found that for DS side snapping covers (side snapping everything I guess) work best since his legs are kind of chunky, but his waist isn't. When I started my stash I planned to use a combo on fitted diapers and AIOs, but after a few days of cloth diapering DH and I agreed that AIOs were the way to go because DS kept escaping. But after getting used to the fitteds it's really not much more difficult. Plus, I've learned how to change DS's diaper while he's standing. :) I do love AIOs but it doesn't make much sense to wash the cover part every time! I have 2 covers now and that's actually plenty, since we also use a lot of AIOs. Al the other moms in my playgroup use prefolds, some with pins, snappis, and also not fastened (just held together with a wrap). I think that if I would've started CDing when DS laid still for diaper changes even I could've learned how to use pins! But I feel it's risky to try and learn how now.

Well, after all this rambling, I guess my point is that you should pick a couple options you like and try them out to see what works. What works when your baby is a newborn may not when you have an older one.

BTW, CDing is an addiction! Beware! I never guessed diapering would become a hobby for me. Now I'm even starting to think I could make some! (Not that I need any more!)

egoldber
12-08-2002, 08:50 AM
The Motherease Airflow is also my favorite cover over any diaper. You do need to Snappi or pin a prefold with this cover. With a Bummis cover, I can just lay the prefold in the wrap with good results. I find I need about 3-4 covers. When my DD poops, they are sometimes a bit sloppy :) and get onto the cover.

And after my latest purchases, I think I am really done buying diapers :) Now I just need to stop reading diapering websites!!

nohomama
12-08-2002, 09:05 AM
My first roll of Kushies liners seemed to last forever. My second went more quickly because they kept disintegrating on me. I should have called Kushies as Beth suggested when I posted about it, but didn't. I'm now using a roll of rice paper liners. I think they hold up better to washing that the Kushies but their shape is more square so I'm finding it takes more time to position the liner in the diaper. Also, they're thin and wouldn't work well for a newborn's runny poop.

nohomama
12-08-2002, 09:18 AM
I just recently purchased and Airflow cover and really like it. It seems to have a more trim fit on Lola and it doesn't stain as easily as my other covers.

After reading Beth's post I realized that I haven't infact used any of my prefolds with it. I've use contoured diapers in the Airflow without any fasteners and have been fine though.

With a newborn I'd plan on having about half a dozen covers. You'll be changing them probably an average of 10x a day and their poops are sloppy and can be explosive. I purchased 4 ProWraps to start and was given 2 more. I didn't regret having more.

I didn't purchase my first "Just the Wraps" until Lola outgrew her newborn sized covers. And just so you know, my wool wraps have held up fine to machine washing in cold and line drying.

mama2be
12-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys!!!

I think I'm going to register for about 3 woolen ones from Imse Vimse (I like their look) @ 18.95 each and then about 3 Air Flows. And I have four cheap Gerber ones coming with my order. I would agree that I probably should start my "samples" once he is a little older and not immediatly...

I have a super dooper Catalyst washer and dryer that I think even has a "handwash" option...so I feel good about that end of the ordeal even with the wool:)

I agree Beth once I get my stash...I'm not going to be on these diaper boards, I know me..."yes judge I'm bankrupt but you should see my diaper collection"...So if you see me on them order me off...or ignore me :) (BUT not till I'm "done")...:)

Speaking of lurking on these diaper boards have you seen those adorable diapers by ivy rose??? Oh they are cute. I don't know the web site off hand, she seems to auction them at a site (never heard of it till now) WAHMall...oh they are cute!!!!

I too have thought about hiring someone to commision to make covers for me, but I really think they'll be covered up my his clothes, so that catches me.

egoldber
12-08-2002, 12:07 PM
I agree, the Airflow cover does not seem to stain as easily as some other covers. My Bummis covers now have little poo stains around the leg holes. I don't really care except for purely aesthetic reasons. :) I just tried a Bumkins cover for the first time today and will see how I like that one. Many people also like these for laying a prefold in.

HTH,

zydmom
12-13-2002, 11:26 PM
I also use just prefolds in a cover. I have been using the infant size premium (8 layers in middle) prefolds during the day, folded in thirds in the cover, and at night the larger premiums folded in quarter for better fit. Based on my other children, I'm expecting to eventually use those infant sized diapers as nighttime liners. I really recommend getting 3 dozen infant sized diapers! They will work much better on your newborn and they still fit my large (21 pound) 6-month-old. One reason covers can leak is if the diaper is too fat for the small cover.

For whatever reason, I found the Bummis leaked too often; I didn't like the plastic feel inside the prowraps; and I found the cover over the mesh back of the bumkins creeped up, letting moisture come out of the mesh. I wish they'd make Bumkins with no "vent." That is like the style of cover I used with my first 2 children but it's no longer made. I finally took the plunge and tried one Imse Vimse Night cover. Very expensive, but they've held up well, remained both soft and waterproof despite machine washing and drying.

Here's a hint: make mock AOIs by taking all your covers and folding the prefolds in them. Use them, setting aside ones that can be reused to fill again and putting stained/smelly ones aside to wash. I switched all our laundry to the fragrance/additive free detergent and now just throw in whatever covers need washing every time I do a load (in fact, I just put them aside into the washing machine). I invested in 8 covers to make this work.

mama2be
12-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Thanks all for your recommendations.

I got my 24 PF's and have wahed them and plumed them up...
I got one AIO from the same source
I got 6 Gerber EZ covers from the same source just so I had some

and am now trying to get stuff that I would like to get (and will register for my shower a lot of it).

I am going to purchase a lot of the Joey Bunz doublers that seem to be endorsed everywhere, some rice paper liners, and am hitting Walmart today to make some fleece liners too....:)

I like the idea of making "mock AIO's...I was actually going to lay out my PF, lay the JB in and lay my fleece in and then roll it up...and stack my diapers rolled like this. Add a rice paper when needed...remove a fleece liner when not needed and do that. It might not hold or be conveneient but that is my initial thing to try :)...

corrie
12-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Hey Neve,
I'm due with #1 in Feb too and am also planning to CD. I have been slowly building my stash since about August (when I fully intended to just use CPFs and Proraps-ha!). I have been the bargain huntress in this area so I'll pass along my tips just in case you can use any of them:

Oh, first to answer your actual question (based on no firsthand experience of my own) Many people seem to just trifold PFs into a velcro wrap sans fastener. If leaking is a problem, people often endorse the snappi but say it should be used to secure the diaper, not to "tighten" it (it is not meant to be used as if it was elastic). Others say they love the look of pins. Of course, with a pull-up type wrap, you'll need to secure the dipe in some way. Also, snappis reportedly do not work with hemp PFs (something about the fibers) so if you use a hemp dipe and want to secure it, you'll need to pin. With snappis and pins being so inexpensive, I figure I'll just start with having some of each on hand and see how they work.

OK, now for my cd stash/bargains/tips (not that you asked):

1. For a newborn I have 13 NB kissaluvs. I bought one at full retail just to see them, and could not resist ordering more. I got a dozen "seconds" for $78 direct from kissaluvs.com (on their outlet page). I cannot tell why they are seconds although a couple had some ink marks on them that came out in the first wash. I really like the umbi notch and their resale value is so high I figured if I hated them after baby #1 I could sell them on ebay and recoup most of my cost. They sent me about 1/2 dozen UB fleece ones and the rest were the colors (SO CUTE!) I was worried about mec stains on NB dipes, but I just nought some cheap flannel from Joanne's and cut rectangles to lay in the dipes. I figure if they get trashed by mec, I'll just throw them away.

2. I LOVE EBAY! I bought 10 small FBs direct from Tereson (the owner of Mother of Eden) They were first quality ones that she used on her own child (so they were not in heavy rotation as you might imagine cuz I think she had about a billion of them). They came with 10 of the microfleece FB inserts (doublers?)

3. Back in August, I stocked up on the FB print seconds in Meds and Lgs from some WAHM diaper sites. I was a bit worried because well, I'm not even due until Feb, but I had heard raves about FBs and figure if I try the smalls I bought used and they don't work for us, I can sell the prints on ebay new, never washed and probably recoup most of the cost.

4. I bought a bunch of Prorap covers (nb, sm, and med) as well as some waterproof diaper bags direct from ProServices. They sell the seconds at $3 each (and nobody seems to tell why these are seconds either because they look perfect). I just got a couple of the NB sizes (should have gotten more) but hopefully the FB stash will help offset the early cover use and the fitteds will hopefully help contain messes so I can reuse covers between washings.

5. I had ordered a few joey bunz based on the raves, but they are pricey. Until about a month ago, you could buy them direct from the maker on babykicks.com for $22.50/6 in ANY size which was a real savings, but I noticed that deal no longer exists (and I had just put them on my holiday wish list too!) mom-and-me-creations.com makes hemp doublers (fleece topped) that she sells on ebay, wahmall, and direct from her site. I think they're about $2 each and they are comparable in size to small joey bunz (so I'd buy these for small and only pay the higher price for med and lg joeys) They have gotten good reviews. I have also heard that smjae.com sells nice hemp doublers at a reasonable price, but again hers are not as big as med or large JB. I have heard though that the WAHM who owns the business is receptive to custom requests, so she might make some in the same dimensions as med or lg JBs and they may or may not be cheaper.

6. Many diaper manufacturers sell "seconds" directly on ebay so be on the lookout for deals. I know motherofeden (the maker of fuzzi bunz) has sold factory seconds direct on ebay. I also just got a bunch of hemp prefolds direct from babykicks (the maker of joey bunz) on ebay as "seconds" because they were sewn too narrow. I figure, I can still trifold them into wraps or use them to stuff FBs even if they are too narrow to work as a pinned or snappied PF. They cost me less that JBs would only because they were imperfect as traditional PFs (doesn't bother me).

7. I also made my own fleece liners. i have heard that you will want to get microfleece if you are using it as a liner (other fleeces add too much bulk). Additionally, I've heard that some fleece is treated with something to make it water repellant which wont work as a dipe liner. Supposedly, microfleece is less likely to be treated in this way because it is not generally used to make outerwear. That being said, I think the microfleece I got may still be somewhat repellant (water seems to bead on it rather than run through). I'm going to try to strip it if I can and see how it works in a real dipe with a real babe (rather than me just pouring water onto it). Malden Mills microfleece is supposed to be the very best, but I can't seem to find any locally (still looking).

8. I have picked up a few covers and fitteds from resale shops/ebay when the price was too good to pass up. I have also found these stores (and garage sales) to be good sources for gently used slings (if you're into that) I got a Nojo for $7 and a Maya Wrap for $15. I'll also be getting a New Native factory second (available on their site) for $25 and I'm planning to make my own Didymos-type sling out of a long piece of cut microfleece.

9. The remainder of my stash includes things I bought for full price (for shame!) flannel/velour wipes & UBCPFs in infant and premiums. I can't wait for this little one to arrive so that I can cover his/her tushie!

Good luck with your little one and with your CD adventures!
-Corrie

P.S. I had stumbled upon the keester kovers site several months ago and also thought that they were the ultimate super cute diaper (but have not induldged!)

egoldber
12-16-2002, 04:30 PM
How often do you want to do laundry? With a newborn, expect 10-12 changes a day, so with 24, you will likely be washing every other day. 30-36 would give you a bit more breathing room in case you don't get to the laundry for a few days, as can happen with a newborn!!!

Are you using cloth wipes too? I think this is actually MORE onvenient with cloth diapers than using disposable wipes. I like to have 4 dozen. That way I never run out and also have them to grab for face wipes, etc. I got most of mine from Baby Depot. They were baby washcloths that were on the clearance table, in packages of 6 (or maybe 8??) for $.99.

HTH,

mama2be
12-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Corrie and Beth,

Thanks guys!!!

Corrie...WOW you are so ahead of me and your knowledge for pre 1st born shows you've done your homework. I can not thank you enough for all of your helpful hints. I need to search the sites for seconds. I guess when you think about it they would only sell seconds that are close to 1st qualtiy because they want your business back and you could judge them based on a diaper that doesn't work. I'll start searching!!!! Please keep me posted on your little one...when are you due? sex??? name???I'll keep you posted as I add to my little stash. NOthing compared to yours....:) Is your DH supportive...mine comes and goes with the concept. At first I thought he was but this week-end I caught him telling someone, "she's going to cloth diaper the baby, but I'm using disposables"...I meant to buy fleece today and glad that I did not so that I can make sure it is the type I need now...thank you sooooo much for your advice, if you think of anymore by all means keep it coming!!! :) I'm printing your post right now!!!

Beth, After I got to washing these diapers once they arrived I ran the numbers in my head and realized I'll need alot more diapers I think....:)Thank god I have time to pace myself alittle before he gets here...I know me and I can't do any laundry every 36 hours NOW let alone post baby :):):)Wish a maid would "pop out" with this guys...

Thanks again!!!!

egoldber
12-16-2002, 09:08 PM
I sew a bit and have made many fleece things. I made some fleece liners and I used very cheap microfleece from Joann's. They work just fine. I would not spend the $$$ for Malden Mills fleece for liners. For a jacket or garment, yes, but not for liners. Some fleeces are treated with "windblock" or are "water repellent". These are usually fleeces that are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than your average fleece.

Microfleece is nice because it is thinner. Other fleece would be fine, it would just be a little more bulky. Now ALL fabrics are generally treated with sizing and stiffeners from the manufacturing process. If these residues are not washed away completely (and it can take several washes) they may repel for a time. Just do the water test to see if there is a problem.

HTH,

corrie
12-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Neve,
So glad my ramblings didn't overwhelm. I dove into the cloth diaper world head-first several months ago and have slowly but surely built up my knowledge and my stash. Of course, I didn't listen to the advice everyone gives to not invest too much in any one system until you see how it works with your baby. I just figured I'd try to get great deals on the systems that get the best reviews and if it doesn't work out, I'll sell them and buy something else. I just couldn't understand how I could order 1 each of a bunch of different types and have enough of any one thing to work with. Plus, once baby arrives, I won't have time to shop for diaper deals. I may live to regret the purchases I made, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm due Feb 26th. We do not know the gender (I love surprises!) and we also have not decided on a name (I don't love that so much, but that's where we are, so what can I do?) I have so much I need to do to prepare for this child. We have a ton of diapers, a stroller, baby bedding, and a crib, and that's it. Fortunately, I still have 10 weeks! When are you due? Are you prepared? As for DH and the CD, he hasn't said much about it. I think it helps that he's never changed a diaper in his life so cloth or disposie, he'd be learning a new skill. Plus his Mom used CDs on him when he was a baby, and anything his parents have done seems less "weird" to him I think. Ours will be the first grandchild on both sides of the family, and none of our close friends have had kids yet (although we know 5 couples due within weeks of us) so again, he's never really seen sposies used as if that was "normal". I just keep showing him the CDs and how easy they are, and talk up the savings.

As for diaper seconds, I know that kissaluvs.com lists seconds for slings, diapers, doublers, and wipes on their site (on the outlet page). It's very hit or miss but it seems they put things there pretty regularly, so if you're patient you can get what you need before too long. The diaper savings is usually $2-$4/diaper. Babykicks.com has a clearance page on their site, but there's never really been anything on it as far as I've seen. As I said, I bought seconds from her on ebay (seller name babykicks), she did not list them on her site. She has current auctions going for hemp PFs on ebay. Mother of Eden (FBs) no longer sells directly to the public from their website. She does list seconds on ebay though (under the seller name motherofeden). Again, this is hit or miss. She unloaded a bunch of seconds back in October but nothing since then. Most WAHM sites that are run by moms MAKING dipes (vs. Moms selling dipes others have made) have some sort of used/seconds/clearance page. WAHM sites for moms SELLING dipes might also have a clearance/overstocks page. Proraps can be bought as seconds by calling Proservices at 1-800-397-8594. They are $3 each for the classic cover in any size. They also sell waterproof diaper duffle bags for $3 each and PF diapers for $18/dozen (I can't vouch for the quality of the PFs as I haven't seen them). If you find other bargain sources in your searching, let me know!

As for your stash...I just wanted to know what size PFs you got (I assume infant 4x8x4). I hear some people say that 24 is enough, while others say they needed 36. I also hear people say that with newborns, you might be able to get away with just a good doubler (like joey bunz) in a velcro wrap. As I said, my initial plan was to just start with about 36 PFs and some wraps, but as I bought all the kissaluvs and FBs, the # of PFs I plan to get is dwindling. Now that I ordered a bunch of hemp PFs as well (10 in each size), I think I'll just end up getting 18-20 PFs in each size for stuffing FBs and laying in wraps.

Beth, thanks for the microfleece tip. I bought mine on sale at Joanne's for $5/yd. I have washed it in hot twice and it still looks like it resists water a bit. I'll just keep washing it, but it's good to know it's probably just fine.

Good luck to you!

-Corrie

egoldber
12-17-2002, 01:09 PM
The type of detergent you use can also help. In general, the less harsh detergents will take longer to wash out residues. I have recently switched to regular Tide for my diapers. I noticed when I used it at my in-laws over Thanksgiving it does a much better job getting diapers cleaner than did my All Free&Clear. The All F&C is OK, but not great. I will finish up my HUGE bottle of All F&C from Costco on my regular laundry. :)

OK, I just did an experiment with the microfleece liners I have been using for weeks. When I do the water test, they seem to "repel". But these liners have worked great with no leaks. So I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH,

nohomama
12-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Corrie,

Re: how many dipes to have on hand for a newborn, think total number of diapers rather than total number of prefold vs. total number of AIO, etc. The only reason you might want to think differently is if one type/style/brand of diaper works better for you than another, which as you've said, you can't know ahead of time.

We started cloth diapering when Lola was one week old. We used disposables for the first week which I highly recommend, especially if you want your cloth dipes to have a high resale value. Meconium is a bear to clean up...it's the color and consistency of tar and it can be hard to get of a babe's bum let alone a cloth diaper. But I digress...

In terms of the dipes, think 10-12 changes a day. We had a service for the first several monthes and had a standing order for 70 dipes a week for the first 4-5 weeks. Some weeks we ran out and had to use dispoables, others we had dipes left over. Obviouly you won't have the same problem since you'll be laundering your own, but you will be changing your baby 70-85 a week. If you want to do laundry every 3 days, count on needing 36-40 dipes to get you through. Sounds like you already have quite the stash of fitteds and AIOs so going with fewer prefolds is probably fine.

HTH,

mama2be
12-17-2002, 02:17 PM
would it be better to buy darker fleece or the white...
I would think darker so as to not show all the stains.
We have a walmart locally that had cheap fleece I'm going to get some today :)

egoldber
12-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Well, mine are navy because that's what I had! Darker colors won't show stains, but it's only a fleece liner. I would buy whatever is cheapest.

mama2be
12-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Since you asked...

MelissaTC recommeneded these and for the price I thought I'd try them. The gal at this company could not have been nicer and was always quick to respond to me.

By the way the prowraps have been so highly recommended to me from companies I have contacted...I almost bought some wool covers and two companies tried to steer me towards the cheaper priced prowraps. So I am thrilled that you told be about their seconds. I just ordered 10 small and 10 medium!!! I am skipping the newborn because the small is for 9-14lbs. If I fluff them enough with doublers etc...I thought a smalls might be safe. What do you all think???

Thanks again. Now I need to get doublers, cut some fleece and then I hope I will stop buying diaper stuff...:)OH and pails I need to find that system too...
From EBAY (I just copied and pasted it)

Each lot contains ONE dozen brand new infant size cloth prefold diapers. Fit newborns up to 15 or 20 pounds, depending on height of baby; will fit a tall 20 pounder just fine. European prefolds, the most durable prefolds available. Diaper Service Quality. These are 2/2 twill weave, which means the cotton yarns are woven more densely in this fabric than other diaper twills. What does that mean to you? This makes them heavier and thicker and they are our longest lasting diaper; ideal for frequent washings as needed for multiple births or if you want to get diapers for your first baby that will last thru all your kids. Due to the greater weight of cotton yarns in the diapers, they take longer to quilt up than other prefolds. The ones in the picture have been washed 3 times; yours will look flat upon receipt but will fluff up upon washing, and will continue to fluff and soften throughout their life. Under normal home-laundering conditions, these will last approx. 4 times as long as lighter weight prefolds. 100% cotton. Measure 12" x 16.5" 4x6x4 ply. We were the largest diaper service in Oklahoma so we have lots of diapers to sell! 2.8 oz. per piece; I don't believe you can buy a heavier weight 100% cotton prefold diaper. I don't think you can find this quality diaper at a retail store or on the internet, for less money!! Thirsty, absorbent, and durable enough to last through all your children!! Thanks for looking!! Contiguous U.S. buyers pay fixed shipping and handling of $5.00 for the first lot and 4.00 for each additional lot. HI, AK, and Int'l buyers pay actual shipping. Combine and reduce shipping if you win other of our auctions. Shipped priority or fed ex ground. Please write me at [email protected] if you have any questions. Prefer Paypal or Ebay payments for immediate shipping, but also accept checks and money orders. Payment must reach us within 10 days unless we agree to other arrangements. We ship every other day so you get your order fast.

egoldber
12-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Neve, I will say that Proraps are not my favorite cover. I only reach for them when all my favs are dirty. They are fine, just not a fav. Some people love them though. It really depends on how they fit your baby. A properly fitting wrap is critical to control leaks and keeping those prefolds on if you're not using a Snappi or pins.

Many people say to have a few newborn wraps, because in those first days when they are so teeny tiny, they swim in the smalls.

Things I thought I would love before I actually tried them have not always turned out the way I thought they would. I would wait for your baby, and then buy more of what works for you.

HTH,

mama2be
12-17-2002, 07:20 PM
That's what I am hoping to do...I guess I've spent a total of less than $150 on diaper stuff thus far (need about 12 more PFs), and then I am going to wait and trial after.

I cross my fingers that I've hit the jack pot and that what I've bought will work, if that is the case I really ahve not spent much...too good to be true that that will be the case.

I'm afraid if I get a lot of leaks I will get discouraged so am going to try my best to keep him snug in them. Thank you again!!

corrie
12-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Neve-

It's great to hear you so excited about CDs! I think the Proraps deal is too good to pass up. Even if they don't end up being the very best, they're a great starting point for $3 each. I got 2 of the Nb size because I heard teeny tiny babies need teeny tiny wraps and I liked the fact that they had the cord cut-out for the umbi stump. I wish I had gotten 1 or 2 more, but we'll make due.

I cut up darker fleece for liners myself because it seemed like they would show stains less, but people keep telling me that fleece doesn't stain. The fleece-lined FBs I bought used have a white fleece lining and they are pristine and totally stain-free. I hope you got the fleece you needed. I went to Joanne's yesterday and they were down to 1 bolt of microfleece and said they don't expect more until FALL! (I was very sad).

Happy diapering!

-Corrie

mama2be
12-18-2002, 12:27 PM
I just ordered some newborn size too...I had posted the question on parnets place diaper board and overwhelmingly folks said that small would be too big for him...maybe even the newborns too...

Thanks again!!!