PDA

View Full Version : Diapering Question

kclm
12-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Our first baby is now 3 1/2 weeks old and we keep having diaper leaks. :( (We've tried both Huggies and Pampers, the newborn size.) Clearly we are doing something wrong! :) Could we get some advice on exactly how to put on diapers without springing leaks all the time? Thanks very much in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

egoldber
12-15-2002, 12:03 PM
At 3 1/2 weeks, you may be ready for size 1 instead of newborn sizes. I would try going up a size and see if that helps. Make sure you are fastening the diaper tight enough. It should be snug, but not so tight as to leave marks.

HTH,

brubeck
12-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Where are the leaks coming from? If you have BM moving up the back then the diaper is likely not big enough. If you have pee leaking out the sides then it may not be snug enough around the legs (this could be a too big diaper or a snugness/fit issue). If you have a blowout then the diaper is probably too small.

It's also possible (although I'm sure this isn't the case with you!) that you are waiting too long between changes and the diaper just fills up. Is it all huge and puffy when you take it off?

FYI, the two types of Huggies (Ultratrim and Supreme) and the two types of Pampers (Baby Dry and Swaddlers) do fit differently. Try all 4 before giving up on those brands. Switching to a store brand may help but generally they are made by the same manufacturer as Huggies and so will fit similarly. Luvs are made by the same people as Pampers and tend to fit similarly to those.

Lastly, if you have a boy, it depends which way you point his penis before putting the diaper over it. Try putting it straight downwards (as opposed to up or to the sides).

egoldber
12-15-2002, 12:48 PM
LOL! Having a girl, I always forget the all important "which direction is he pointed?" question. :)

kathsmom
12-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi, Karen!

We had the same problem with DS - we were sent home from the hospital with 2 packages of the Huggies supreme newborns, and DS kept having leaks and getting the sheets in the bassinet and crib wet. We tried the Pampers newborns and had the same problem. We decided to get the Size 1 diapers from Pampers Swaddlers and we have not had any leaks since! If we had tried size 1 in the Huggies, I think that would have worked too.

Good luck and congratulations on your new baby!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Rachels
12-15-2002, 03:26 PM
I agree. Whenever you have major leaks, you probably need to move to the next size diaper. And Beth is right-- the different styles fit differently. Until now (we just graduated to size 3s), Baby Dry has fit Abigail better than the Swaddlers.

Speaking of all of this, does anybody know how to get small packages or samples of the various diapers? I can only ever find jumbo packs. It keeps me from trying different brands.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
12-15-2002, 03:38 PM
I have never tried this, but you could try e-mailing or calling their customer service departments and asking for a sample. I bet they would send one.

HTH,

cara1
12-16-2002, 01:59 PM
I agree that you should try one size up. But we never liked Huggies or Pamper much, and found that Luvs leaked far less for us.

MyFirstBaby
12-16-2002, 03:38 PM
I agree that every baby is different and it's just a matter of "trial and error". I found that Huggies just didn't work for my son; no matter what size I used it still seemed to not be snug enough around the legs and he always leaked. I have had great success with Pampers Newborn Swaddlers. My son is 3 months, (weighed 11 lbs. 11 oz. at his 2 month appointment) and is currently in Size 1 Swaddlers.. I believe the weight guideline on this was 8-14 lbs., but it seems as if it is *almost* time to move up a size.

Unfortunately, trial and error is your best bet! Good luck!