PDA

View Full Version : Favorite old posts on CDing?

SASM
04-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi!

Okay...you have me VERY curious about cloth diapering. After being on these boards for 6 months, I NEVER thought that this would be something that I would research ~ after researching everything else "baby" I thought disposables were IT for me, nice and easy! Now, I am soooo overwhelmed by all of the choices in CD brands, fabrics, necessary supplies...the list goes on and on. UGH!!! I was so ready to give up or just buy whatever ONE person really liked. :-( Not good. Gosh, they seem so expensive :-( Am I wrong (I hope.)?

Okay, here's my question: Do you have any favorite older posts that you have bookmarked on CDing that were particularly helpful for you? That could explain some of the fundamentals, brands, etc.? The "What's in your CD stash?" post is interesting but is there anything else out there? I don't want to give up on this, but I get this HUGE headache after I finish researching this topic for just a few minutes. Doing a "search" is useless because no matter what term I submit I get an INSANE amount of posts.

One more *DUH* question: What is the anatomy of a cloth diaper application?? How do you use the whole thing...you have the cloth diaper, a filler, the velcro outside thingy, a plastic (?) cover...what?

Thank you and sorry for my confusion. This is insanely overwhelming. :-)

mama2be
04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Sharyn I am so new to this infact 36 hours new to this...but have researched so much that for about two weeks I dreamed about CDs all night long...BUT want to stress my newness so I don't mislead...

There are PF (Prefolds that would need a cover) this is the cheapest way of doing it and I suspect from post fun and cheap BUT the ones I have are too big for Tristan right now so it was given up on (for now)...

There are fitted diapers that are cloth, cotton, hemp that look like a disposable BUT they need a cover. This is what I am using and am 36 hours into it and liking it better each change.

Then there are AIO =All In Ones this is everything...but takes longer to dry and drys the cover with each wash which usually if separate would not need drying but once every several times used so you are wearing it out quicker. I never considered this option.

Not counting all of the precious adorable cute diapers out there there are two fitteds that I zero'd in on "Fuzzy Bunz" and "Cricketts"
FB were more expensive but sound like they are worth it,,,Cricketts are cheaper, come with a doubler (extra pad) made of hemp and made locally. for me The biggest seller is that they allow for a lot larger size bracket than most thus less purchases. They snuggle him so much and are adorable and I hate to cover them BUT I cover them with the cheapest (money wise) cover called a Prowrap which gets great reviews. I save money by using their second quality wraps which get great reviews. On www.diaperpin.com they rate diapers. Cricketts got 14 posts all are a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5. I am certain there are several others just as good but just wanted to expleain my thought process on their purchase. Also two gals with boys highly recommended them so i thought I'd get them.

HTH a little...I figure I ahve spent about $200 on what I have and have covers to last thru toddlerhood BUT will need about $250 worth of more diapers to get me thru to toddlerhood (potty trained). But I get to use these with future children which is a huge savings.

egoldber
04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Here's a thread from a long time ago where lots of basics were talked about. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/246.html

Also, I think this is a terrific site that a mom on another board has put together: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm It has lots of good pictures and lots of good basic info. She uses mainly prefolds, but the basic principle is the same for all cloth diapers. You put some type of diaper on child, fasten diaper in some way, and then add a waterproof cover to prevent leaks. That's really all there is to it in general.

I really think it is a good idea to buy a sampler of diapers. Every baby is shaped differently and everyone has different preferences (front snaps, side snaps, velcro, prefolds, fitteds, AIOs, etc.).

Cost for cloth diapers is relative. I used disposables with Sarah for 14 months. I calculate I spent almost $1000 on diposables in that time (figuring an average of 8 changes a day at an average of 24 cents a diaper). Unless you go really wild on cloth diapers, you only need about 36 diapers and 6 covers for a newborn and about 24 diapers and 4-6 covers for an older baby. Again, unless you go insane, you can easily cloth diaper a baby from birth to potty training for < $1000. If you have a second child and re-use those diapers, then your costs go down dramatically.

If you choose the most economical route (prefolds and simple covers), then you can easily spend less than $400 to cloth diaper a child from birth to potty training. (These costs are all assuming you pay full retail for new stuff as opposed to buying used stuff). Also, diapers have tremendous resale value. It is fairly safe to assume you can get back 1/2 of what you paid for them on eBay.

Happy research!

SASM
04-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Neve and Beth, thank you so much for your posts ~ explanations and links! I will definitely check out the sites and posts ~ can't wait! :-) And, Beth, those numbers blow my mind!! :o Wow.

Karenn
04-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi Sharyn,
Did you see this thread?

[http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/4.html]

It has all my favorite CD posts. Between that, and the sites that Beth & Neve recommended, I gained a working knowledge of CD's. I know what you mean about being overwhelmed! I never thought I'd be able to get it all figured out, but at this point, I *think* I could almost discuss cloth diapers intelligently with some of the pro's! The turning point came when I could confidently explain the difference between an AIO and a CPF. (Poor DH was the only person I could find to listen to me!) Still, this is the only board where I am brave enough to post my silly questions. Thank goodness all the pro's here are also very patient! Good luck!

sugarsnappea
04-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Here is a page that I visited and used when I was doing my CD research. I hope that most of the links still work :)

http://pages.ivillage.com/jakensydsmom/cloth.html

Hopefully this will be helpful!

DEIS

csa12
04-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Sharyn!

There is one post written by Beth titled something like "Results of my CDing extravaganza" in which she gave reviews about various diapers and accessories that helped me get started. Also there is a thread called " I have my CD;s now what do I Do" that gave me great tips on how to wash them. I am sorry I cannot post the threads here as I am computer illiterate.

Sorry I haven't responded to your post. But how is Ian doing?! Isn't this age fun and I hear it is only going to get better! Liam is full of personality and smiles and feeds 1-2X a night now so I am catching up on sleep. Hope you are doing well and love the recent pix of Ian.

Take care and have fun wtih CDing,
Cheryl :)