PDA

View Full Version : Disposables: How many NB do I need plus another

flagger
04-15-2003, 10:11 AM
We bought a package of Huggies, Pampers and BRU brand NB over the weekend. I figure it doesn't hurt to have them on hand to help us decide which ones we like. I know they will outgrow NB pretty fast, but with only 40 or so in each package that is really only four days worth.

I also bought one 184 box of Pampers at Sam's. Many friends of mine who do have girls and do use disposable swear by Pampers. But Geez, do they think that their diapers are made of gold? I can get 44 more Huggies in the same 1-2 size for the same prize. Do Pampers somehow make the baby's sh*t stink any less?

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Flagger:

Just to let you know what we have here. I bought a 40 pk package of the BRU brand and the Target Loving Touch brand. We were also given one package each of Huggies and Pampers brand, both 40 count. Martie's about a week old and we have just about gone through the both of the BRU brand and Target. By the way, I'll probably never buy the BRU brand again. They absorbed well, but I don't like how they are adhedsive and not velcro-y like the other brands. We are now working on the Huggies. This does not include the stash of diapers that we took from the hospital too. I didn't buy a huge amount b/c I knew that they would grow out fast, but I didn't realize the amount of times that we would put a fresh diaper on Martie just to have her poop in it again.

HTH.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

flagger
04-15-2003, 11:21 AM
What did you think of the Target brand? That was the one other we were considering. A couple of SAHD's I met really like the BRU brand size 1.

mama2be
04-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Folks seemed to rave about the Target brand and I thought I would use only them...but we actually preffered the Walmart one in a yellow package and the sizing lasted for a large weight stretch...they have ducks on them...

mamahill
04-15-2003, 11:41 AM
I found that the Huggies diapers seemed to wick moisture through the diaper, so Ainsleigh's butt was always a little damp. We didn't have that issue with Pampers or the BRU born.

It will depend on how big Cocoa comes out. Since Ainsleigh was small (5-14) she was in the newborn diapers for about 6 weeks. But it sounds like the stash you have right now is good. You can always go out and get more. Plus, as long as you keep the receipts, you can exchange unopened packages of diapers at BRU.

That's weird that your Pampers are more than Huggies. At our Costco, they're the same price for the same number (but that's for size 3 and up, they only carry Huggies in the smaller sizes). But if you get on BRU's mailing list, you can get coupons for diapers and that makes it very worthwhile. If you aren't on a list, set up a registry, even if it's only a couple things.

Good luck! Getting close!

flagger
04-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah at Sam's there is a HUGE difference (44) between the same 1-2 size between Pampers (184) and Huggies (228).

The Costco near us is not that convenient, but there is a BJ's real close to Sam's. We might just check them out as well.

Momof3Labs
04-15-2003, 12:18 PM
I found that Wal-Mart has better prices on diapers than just about anywhere else (and you don't have to buy a mongo package where you may only use half the diapers and are stuck with the rest) - defintely cheaper than BRU. Worth pricing things out now, while you have some time.

We used exactly *one* newborn size diaper. Colin had plumber's crack with it. So, he spent his first 5-6 weeks in size 1 diapers.

Oh, and diaper preference tends not to be gender specific - it seems to have more to do with the shape of the baby. Colin is long with skinny thighs, so he did best in Pampers through size 2, then Huggies Supreme in size 3 (that's where we are now).

egoldber
04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
The difference is the quanity may be due to an inventory issue. All the diaper companies have downsized all their packages recently. You may have hit on an "old" Huggies package and a "new" Pampers package.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2003, 06:34 PM
I like the Target brand. Honestly I don't see a difference in how the actual performance of the diapers are. (Knock on wood) Maybe it's becasue Martie hasn't had a major blow out yet (Knock on wood).

However after reading Neve's post I'll have to check out the Walmart brand. I also just ordered a small amount of cloth diapers for Martie too, to help prevent diaper rash, and in the case of diaper rash.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JustMare
04-15-2003, 09:56 PM
BJ's has an excellant baby aisle. Much more of a selection and almost always in stock. More so than our Costco.

Plus, BJ's accepts coupons! Yeah!:)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
We used only 3 packs of newborn sizes before she outgrew them, and the third pack we probably could have skipped and gone right to size 1. Logan was 8lb 6 oz at birth. I suggest just one pack of newborn sizes and that will give you time to go out for more if you have a small baby. The cut out for the umbilical cord is nice on the Pampers newborns.

We hated the Huggies. They seemed cheap and left little pieces of gel on her skin. All the "ruffles" around the legs were, like, double cut or something and we had to pull the extra piece of plastic off as we put the diaper on.

We decided no more Huggies. So far we have liked Luvs and Pampers.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

AngelaS
04-16-2003, 06:08 AM
I've found the store brand diapers run smaller than the brand name ones---Luvs and Pampers. Huggies also seemed to run smaller.

I don't like Huggies at all. LOL I hate how they smell when babies pee in them, the outside feels damp if the diaper is wet and they leave little gel balls all over baby's bottom.

I like the Target generic and also the Walmart generic. Luvs and Pampers are good too. :)

90% of the time tho, I use cloth. :) But I'm not completely anal about it. LOL Disposables have their place in the world too. :D

bnme
04-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I just want to mention that I LOVE Pampers compared to huggies...and I don't like the Baby Dry, only the Swaddlers. They don't make diapers any less stinky though (he he)! The Huggies also seem just as absorbent. Both have kept all the poop contained, even though DS can be a once a day pooper (translation-giant mess). I guess it is just something about the softer material.

I just got a new pack of Saddlers and now they have stretchy sides, which I am not sure about yet. I hope it just takes getting used to because I'd hate to go to Huggies. My DS is such a squiggler on the changing table, its almost impossible to get any diaper fastened!

jbrandy
04-30-2003, 05:28 PM
I also LOVE Pamper's SWADDLERS!!!! They are the best. I just bought the Huggies at Sam's because you got many more for the same price but...never again! The SWADDLERS are bigger--longer and wider so my guy will wear them longer. Also--I would agree with the person that said the Pampers don't seem to smell as much. I've been using the Huggies I bought and really do smell urine that I didn't smell at all before with the Pampers. So...even though I get less for the same $ I'm sticking with Pampers from now on (after we finish this box). HOpe this helps.

Beth B
Mom to Evan 4-4-03

Melanie
04-30-2003, 05:59 PM
We liked Target's Loving touch the best. They fit Ds the best until he got chubby. I'm sure they have gel in them, but it wasn't oozing out like the Huggies were.