PDA

View Full Version : Disposables until meconium passes

Rhonda36
04-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Hello,

I love my new gorgeous cloth diapers too much to have icky meconium on them... so I'm heeding the advice of many of you and sticking to disposables until that part is over. How long does it usually take for poops to become "normal"? I'm impatient to try out my stash of "real" diapers!

Thanks,
Rhonda

egoldber
04-15-2003, 02:20 PM
That usually only lasts a few days. If you are breastfeeding, usually a day or so after your milk comes in. If bottlefeeding, perhaps sooner.

HTH,

C99
04-15-2003, 02:53 PM
It took Nate about a week, but he had a high bilirubin count/ABO incompatability so it took a bit longer than usual.

Momof3Labs
04-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Good idea!

It was definitely no longer than a week - but longer than I expected!! No one told me that Colin would still be passing meconium after he got home (we had terrible nurses).

parkersmama
04-15-2003, 04:19 PM
I can't remember much about how long it lasted but I did want to add a helpful tip that someone here posted before. Meconium is VERY sticky and tar-like and hard to remove from the baby's tushie. If you take vaseline and smear it on after each diaper change, the meconium is much easier to wipe off. I believe that someone also suggested using oil (mineral or other non-nut oil, I believe). I've already got the vaseline packed in our hospital bag (memories of tar-like poop have me convinced that this will work!!). :-)

Rhonda36
04-16-2003, 11:21 AM
I've also heard of that tip, and I'm glad you reminded me of it. I'll definitely do that so I don't have to scrub his/her little bum so hard. :)

Thanks, Rhonda