1. Serged/turned
2. Aplix/snap

Thanks,
Marit

mama2be
04-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Marit,
I think

1. Serged is the "hem" on the ends. So imagine the thread "sewn" on the ends. When folks say they turn under it is like the ruffle "gathered" part of it turns under towards the skin.

2. I have always assumed that aplix snaps are the plastic snaps, but not certain about that...

egoldber
04-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Aplix is the "official" term for the type of velcro used on diapers. Most people say velcro, but it is really aplix. I am not sure what the difference is between velcro and aplix.

Fitteds usually close either with velcro(aplix) OR with snaps.

HTH,

malie
04-16-2003, 07:10 AM
I'm reading what Neve said and I think she means the same thing as what I'm about to say but I'm not sure so here it goes

Serged/Turned. Neve used the word "hem" which I think it what confuses me a little because when I think of "hemming" I think of the traditional "turn the fabric up". When I hear the word "serged" it means that the "raw edge" of the fabric is finished using a serger so someone just cuts the fabric and as Neve said the thread is sewn around the end.

If something is turned it's more of a traditional "hem" like finishing to the edge, the raw edge is turned under and then sewed.

So if something is turned and serged it would mean that the raw edge of the fabric is folded and then a serger is used to finish the edge.

When it really matters is the fabric that is being used. Terry cloth because the edges tend to fray when cut is usually better off turned first (not always because I suppose with a really good serger with really close stiches it would not matter). Flannel on the other hand or cotton doesn't have the same problem so the edges might just be serged

Either way both terms are being used to describe what has been done to the "raw" or cut edge of a fabric and what the person has done to prevent that edge from looking ratty or fraying or to give it a more polished look

marit
04-16-2003, 11:39 AM
THANK YOU ALL!

Marit