PDA

View Full Version : interesting poll

blnony
04-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I found this link on the mothering.com boards. I was a little shocked about how militant cloth/disposable users are. My goodness, there are some hostile people out there.
http://www.babycenter.com/poll/5034/9570.html

(edited for spelling of course!)

Rachels
04-16-2003, 04:48 PM
I find the mothering.commune folks to be pretty militant about EVERYTHING. Even when I agree with them, it sometimes bothers me that they're so hostile. I find it a wonderful place to learn things, and people over there tend to be good researchers. If you need bf support, there are few better venues. But they don't handle disagreement very well. It feels more contentious there.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
My goodness I thought I had stumbled onto a political forum having a discussion about the war in Iraq reading that thread.

Phew.

The thing I like about this board is the helpful non-judgmental comments. Everyone seems to accept that one will work for one while another will work for another.

I know if we do decide on Cloth where to come to get informed answers.

mama2be
04-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Thank god that booard doesn't interest me for a second...I don't
know how folks can be on so many boards...this one is addicting enough.

You have to wonder where these moms children's are while they are wasting their time debating non stop...I read the first two paragraphs of the most recent response and that was all I could take.
I despise "no it alls" or folks who insist you have to do it their way and folks who can not encourage others who are doing something different. We are lucky to have our community here that is for sure.

I guess I feel like I can bounce Tristan in my arms to obtain new knowledge and to get advice and to cheer folks on in their endeavor, and to get cheers (what we get on these boards-and you all are my friends) but I'll be damned if I could bounce him infront of a computer while I am writing hate mail back and forth all day long on topics one after the other...where are these people's kids while they are doing this all day???

I suspect they think that what they are debating over is a position that is so great for their child...HMMM ya gotta wonder if it's so great then while they type all of that negative energy while baby is hanging on to them (or worse yet far away) is that debating mode what is great for the baby.

Like Naomi Wolfe just said on Oprah (love her)...women need to be supportive of eachother we would all be so strong if we could learn that. The day any STRANGER could worry about what material is up against my babies butt is the day they need to look into their childs eyes and put their energy there!!! (same with all of the breast feeding issues-why would any one of us care what the next person does-like I told my midwife those who care what I do with my boobs you need another hobby!!)...

I just wish women would support eachother more...and so glad that this group does!!!

todzwife
04-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Neve, I couldn't have said it better myself. I am a member on that board because it is so busy and if I need an answer asap, I know I will get hits, but it gives me a headache to listen to some of their debating. The diapering board is great though if you have questions about CDing! Shandelle ;)
Edited because I can't spell and eat at the same time!

egoldber
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
I've learned a lot from the Mothering Diapering board even though I have only posted there a couple times. Those women REALLY know their diapers! Most of the moms there are incredibly helpful. I have lurked on a few of their boards and I find the Diapering board to be generally very warm and supportive, perhaps because the topics are limited (naturally enough) to only diapering. I think that the type of people that are attracted to a place like Mothering are people that tend to be pretty passionate in their views. I have read there that a lot of those folks feel like the Mothering boards are a safe place for them, because they find it comforting to find others who share their views. I guess that's why we have different on-line communities to meet different needs.

But I guess I thought the babycenter poll was a little silly and people took it WAY too seriously!

zen_bliss
04-16-2003, 09:16 PM
come on, no need to trash the hippy-crunchies, at least on this point!

unless my browser is whacky, when i hit the link, it brought up not a mothering.com discussion, but the babycenter.com opinion board-- which i stopped reading at around month 3 of pregnancy, because of the preposterous idiocy and vitriol flung by as under-educated/sub-intelligent a group of people i've ever seen. it just became too depressing: not just the nastiness and bullying, but the misinformation and myth. mostly it severely bummed me out that those nasty parents are shaping young people, brrrr... then again, I suppose that's a cross-section of the world at large.

i've never looked at the mothering.com boards, but now i'm going to check it out.

a quiet thank you for the blessing of this diverse, happily co-existing community!!

egoldber
04-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Gosh, I hope no one took my post to mean I was trashing the folks at the Mothering board! I really have a lot of respect for the very knowledgeable folks on the Diapering board there, which is the only board I really read with frequency. And there are a number of moms who are active members of THIS board who are ALSO active members of that board. I hope none of them think I meant any disrespect! If what I wrote implied that, I am VERY sorry!

KathyO
04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
I don't know how crunchy I am these days, but I'm certainly pretty hippy...

Whoa, I stopped reading that discussion after about the first ten posts. Nasty, nasty, nasty!!! Ditto on your prayer of thanks for a place where we're ALL assumed to be good parents! (Or, at least, good-enough parents and trying hard!)

Cheers,

KathyO

todzwife
04-16-2003, 10:17 PM
I agree beth, about everything you said! :) Silly little poll got a lot of people really fired up!

blnony
04-16-2003, 10:45 PM
I only posted the link so we could see how crazy some are...I don't post on the mothering board, but I do lurk on the diaper board sometimes, especially for opinions on diapers. It is a babycenter poll, I just found the link posted at mothering.com.
I am playing Switzerland on this one....
But I will say I am very partial to this board...any everyone here.:)

zen_bliss
04-17-2003, 01:13 AM
well said! seeing those "comments" was just a reminder to count our blessings on the BB BB (hee hee!) this has been my info and reality check and humour lifeline... (and i'll out myself as a hippy crunchy without shame!) warm fuzzy hugs to everyone here!

parkersmama
04-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Beth,
Your post was *very* diplomatic!! No need to worry. I actually enjoy reading the mothering diapering board (haven't checked out any of the others) because it is sooo informative! As someone who is pretty liberal and only semi-crunchy :-) and lives in an extremely conservative town, it's nice for me to be able to check out a place where at least some of the views match up with my own! I'm used to having to suppress my liberal/crunchy tendancies in order to keep the peace.

To me this board is just fantastic because everyone is so helpful and so accepting of other moms doing it other ways...no criticisms, just support! Aaahhh. The peacefulness!