PDA

View Full Version : Swim Diapers

blnony
04-17-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, it just hit me...what am I going to do this summer at the pool? Does anyone have any advice on swim diapers? I hate to use disposable for this and I just wonder, how would cloth hold up in a pool?
TIA-

emilyf
04-17-2003, 04:45 PM
So funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning! Hopefully someone has some good suggestions-
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Melanie
04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Me too! We're almost at the end of last year's package of swim diapers...

anyone?

josephsmom
04-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Huggies makes disposables that are just for swimming. They're called Little Swimmers, or something like that. If you don't want to use disposables, One Step Ahead sells a reusable swim diaper that is kind of a "parachute" material and velcro thing, lined with mesh. We used that with a disposable diaper underneath, but I suppose you could use it with a CD, or even by itself. Good luck!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

mamahill
04-17-2003, 05:29 PM
I thought I read it here somewhere, but I can't remember. Anyway, "swim diapers" are really only for appearances. They don't actually hold in the urine (though poop, probably!). They swell with pool water and the rest just runs off. And the amount that a baby might actually urinate, in comparison to how large the pool is, is minimal, and the chlorine kills it. So I think I'll just take Ainsleigh in her swimsuit and that be that. Of course, I'll have a diaper nearby in case she starts grunting and looking "far away" :) lol.

But I'm guessing that cloth in the pool would be HUGE! And I don't want to subject my precious diapers to the chlorine! :o

KathyO
04-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Lots of companies make cloth swim diapers. They have a decorative outer shell, and an inner, fine mesh, "poop catcher". I got mine from Mother-ease - the fit is adjustable, so at two years old she's still wearing the one I got her when she was three months old. And it's still in great shape.

Cheers,

KathyO

egoldber
04-17-2003, 07:27 PM
You wouldn't want the cloth diaper in the pool, but I have read of people using just covers with success as swim diapers. And FYI, almost all pools REQUIRE swim diapers for non-potty trained babes.

I like the Huggies Little Swimmers myself, but they are expensive to use if you go to the pool a lot.

HTH,

blnony
04-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone. That makes a lot of sense. I just couldn't imagine a cloth diaper in a pool :) Talk about big diaper butt!!

muskiesusan
04-18-2003, 06:59 AM
I was just reading an article somewhere that more public pools are requiring cloth swim diapers. Apparently there are problems with the disposables not holding in the poop well enough as well as the diapers themselves falling apart in the water and ruining the filtration systems (I think they mentioned the gel things, but not positive).

Just thought I would add that info!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

sarsah
04-18-2003, 10:17 PM
My DS's swimming teacher told us that she reuses the Huggies Little Swimmers as long as her child does not 'poop' in them. She just puts them in the washing machine along with the swimming towels, etc.
I tried this last summer and they did hold up for one or two washings.

A lot of pools require that non-potty trained children wear swim diapers. The purpose is only to hold in the 'poop', they do not hold the urine (don't put your child in the swim diaper until you get to the pool!!!) -- the chlorine in the pool takes care of that.

Sarah....

zen_bliss
04-19-2003, 05:01 PM
yes, this was a big mystery to me and i was thinking of posting the same question! apparently buying a cloth reusable swim diaper is way more economical than the disposable swim diapers. you wouldn't want them to get weighted down in a wet cloth dipe or (eck!) a bursting gel disposable. kushies makes a swim diaper too -- drawstring top and gusseted legs to keep the poo in. i keep seeing cute ones on eBay as well. i think we'll go with the swim diaper and a cute tank top!

nigele
04-20-2003, 02:31 PM
My subdivision's pool requires babies to wear a swim diaper AND a rubber cover (I haven't even tried to look for one yet!) If your child poops in the pool, there is a $150 fine. Ouch!

Thanks for this post, Brianna - I hadn't even thought about buying the diapers/rubber cover for Tom but should get going as our pool opens soon!

tiaz2088
04-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi Ladies! I wanted to let everyone know that I was at Target yesterday and saw several kinds of "Circo" brand swim diaper covers. They were on an endcap at the Target I was at and they were $5.99.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Tia & *baby girl* edd 4/30

KaylaGirl
04-30-2003, 08:58 AM
While shopping at Buy Buy Baby recently, they had a cute assortment of swim diapers to choose from. The company who makes the swim diapers is called I Play Baby Wear; the website is www.iplaybabywear.com I placed an order directly through the website because I could not find the size that I needed in the store. Happy Shopping! :D

Kelly

bnme
04-30-2003, 12:24 PM
My DS is on the brink of switching to size 2 Pampers. Are the swim diapers sized differently? I remember Huggies being smaller than Pampers.

blnony
05-12-2003, 10:58 AM
justing moving this up, since its a big topic right now.