PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the poop stains out?

etwahl
04-17-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't think I had her diaper on tight enough this morning, because I'm sitting there with her over my shoulder, her wearing a cute little white sleeper, she farts, and up shoots the poop. I literally watched it expand across her back before my eyes. And she keeps going as I'm rushing to get the both of us upstairs. Then the dilemma of how to get this poop covered kid clean without getting it all over the rest of her, me, and the changing table. I tried to prop her up on her side while taking her outfit off, but with her screaming and arms a flailing, the poop did spread. Meanwhile, I can't get the wipes out fast enough to clean her off - back was COVERED. Yummy :(

My question is, how do you get the poop stains out of clothing? I immediately went and scrubbed/soaked the outfit, and then threw it in the wash sprayed with dreft. Actually most of it came out, but not all of it. I've had this problem before with other stuff. I've always sprayed Dreft and it still doesn't come out.

Oh yeah, I really don't think it's quite time to go up to size 2, I really do think I didn't have the diaper tight enough...but I'm curious at what age/weight you actually moved your baby up to size 2 diapers. She's 10 pounds now and pretty long, but also getting to be a little bit of a chunky monkey :)

Edited to say: I sure am glad I don't cd. One time when I was air-drying her, she pooped on one of the wash cloths I was patting her dry with and I just threw it away rather than washing it. It just seemed easier. I admit, I considered that this morning, except that I really like this particular outfit!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

kfcboston
04-17-2003, 06:53 PM
I've had pretty good luck with stain stick for poop stains, although we've been lucky enough to avoid any MAJOR blowouts like you describe so far. :-) And we moved up to size 2 at 5 weeks of age when he weighed in at 11 pounds 8 ounces!! Yikes, I know. 95th percentile!! I sure can state with confidence that he eats and poops A LOT.

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

Kate888
04-17-2003, 07:03 PM
You can try Oxi-clean. If it doesn't come off, wash it again and line-dry it in the sun. The sun works miracles on poop stained cloth diapers, so I guess it should work on clothing, too :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Calmegja
04-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Zout, Zout, Zout.........

I'm telling you, it works wonders on poop.....

Another trick is to tuck the back edge of the diaper under (the side on her back), like a teeny flap...it may not stop all the poop, but it helps stem the explosive poop blowouts.....

egoldber
04-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Zout and Biz are my mantra. Hopefully, you haven't dried the sleeper yet. For really stubborn stains, I treat it with Zout and then soak the garment for a few hours in water and 1/2 a capful of Biz. This usually works.

Since this is a white sleeper, if everything else fails, you can soak it in a weak bleach solution. I do this as a last resort when a garment is otherwise ruined and works almost every time. I have even had good success using this method with pale colors without much fading. Just make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse really well!

I remember those newborn poops up the back all too well. I can remember watching a poop stain spread and the horror as I watched it grow!!! You REALLY will look back on thse days fondly and with humor eventually!

HTH,

Momof3Labs
04-17-2003, 08:11 PM
I have been through this SO many times! Colin was the king of blow-outs, thus our move to cloth diapers (no blow-outs in cloth yet!).

Oxy-Clean is my god-send for removing bf'd poop stains. I soak the dirty clothes in a bucket of Oxy-Clean (two scoops dissolved in hot water) for 6 hours or so, then wash as usual. No poop stains since we started using this method. Zout is good for smaller stains, but wasn't foolproof for us.

todzwife
04-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Another vote for oxy-clean! I inherited some baby clothes that had been stained for who knows how long. I soaked them in oxylcean overnight and they look like new! Yeah!

deenass
04-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I am a HUGE oxy clean fan, use it with every load (it DOES get out iodine!) but for BF baby poops I use GOOP ... just rub it into the stain and throw it in the wash with the dreft and oxyclean

csa12
04-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi Beth -

I was curious about something you said in your post? Once a cloth diaper is dried in the dryer, is it impossible to get the BF poop stain out? I just noticed on one of my Kissaluv there was a huge stain I must not have noticed when I threw the dipes in the dryer. I am going to soak/wash again, but was just curious. Otherwise I will take care to pre-treat them.

Thanks again,
Cheryl :)

bnme
04-18-2003, 03:33 PM
I use wash cloths as wipes for poops and I soak them in water immedietley after using, then just add a little soap and rub a while later. Then its ready for the machine. This is all I've neded to do as long as the stain didn't set. It doesnt seem to be staining in these cases

egoldber
04-18-2003, 07:21 PM
The heat from the dryer can set stains. Once something had been dried, it is harder, but not impossible, to get out stains.

HTH,

egoldber
04-18-2003, 07:22 PM
I have never done anything special with my wipes and none of them have stains. You may try just throwing one in to the wash untreated and see it if makes a difference.

HTH,