PDA

View Full Version : Best fitting covers

jenni2
04-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi everybody!
I am a soon to be Mom that is very interested in CD. I like the look and feel of the Kissaluvs contours, and since I sew I'm planning on making some of my own contoured diapers as well. I don't want to have to worry with sewing in elastic, so the contoured diapers look like an easy way to go. If I am using contoured diapers, what is the best fiting, most snug cover available? I'm planning on purchasing the covers, just making the liners/contours myself. Do you think this will work? Like I said...I'm new to all of this!
Thanks for your help!
Jenni,
and Sarah - due May 20!

Karenn
04-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Hi,
I'm new to all of this too, but I used a Kissaluv contour today with a Bummis SIWW and it worked really well. The velcro let me get it as snug as it needed to be.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
04-18-2003, 07:28 AM
I just wonder how well contours would work with bf'd poops (do you plan to breastfeed) - you would need a really good cover because the cover would be catching most of the poops. And you would need extra covers because you would be changing them more often. Just something to think about.

That said, I love the Bumpy day/night covers. Prorap covers work fairly well, too, but the Bumpys are much softer. A lot of the fit and snugness depends on your baby and the diaper under the cover - so you may have some trial and error once Sarah arrives.

nohomama
04-18-2003, 08:28 AM
My advise would be to start with Prowraps and/or Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. Save the fun/more expensive covers for later when Sarah is a little older and won't outgrow them so quickly.

Lori is right. A fitted dipe will catch most or all of a newborn's runny poop better than a contour or prefold will. That said, Lola wore only prefolds for about the first six months of her life and we never had a tremendous problem with blow-outs getting through to her clothes.

Six covers is, I think, a good amount to start with. When a cover gets pooped on you can often just rinse it off and hang it to dry. If need be, you can hand wash a cover with a little soap or throw it in the washer with your regular clothes.

When your babe isn't growing quite so fast and you want to expand your diaper cover repetoir, the "Just the Wraps" package from www.earthbaby.com is a great place to start. I ended up getting this package in a couple different sizes because it was a good deal and I liked the covers that were included in it.

natividad
04-18-2003, 11:24 AM
My DS is exclusively breastfed and I have been CDing him since he was born. I mention this because yes, like Lori writes, you will need a good cover to catch the poop [if you are planning to BF]. I LOVE Kissaluv contours, but indeed, BF poop does come out of the diaper most times. Since I was going to be using more covers because of this reason, I decided to purchase cheaper covers - Proraps, Bummis Pull on Pants and Dappi Pull on Pants. I also have Bumkins, Bummis SWW and a ME Airflow.

I have snappied my contours, but I actually pin them 99% of the time because I can still use one pin with DS by stretching the sides of the diaper and pinning them together in the center. All of the covers mentioned above have worked well, but I LOVE to use the pull on pants the best. I like the Bummis Pull On pant, but I find the Dappi brand identical (if not better) to the Bummis. The Bummis Pull On pant sells for $5 whereas the Dappis sell for $2.99 for a package of TWO. At that price, I purchased quite a few to last me through every poop. I buy the Dappis at my local Buy Buy Baby store. HTH

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

sparkeze
04-19-2003, 12:33 AM
I know you wrote you didn't want to worry about elastic but the poopockets pattern is REALLY easy and the only elastic is in the gussets. It's really a contour diaper with gussets, but you can use pins or snappis with them also. You should look into it!