PDA

View Full Version : Raves about Bumpy Wool Cover

blnony
04-18-2003, 08:49 AM
I finally got my wool cover,and I've used it the past two nights. Its great. It fits Audrey well, has gussets in the legs and no leaks or dampness at all! Its so soft for wool, and not very thick and I've been rather pleased.
I've used it over a Crickett's fitted and my Under the Nile one size. I know there as been a lot of talk of wool covers lately, so I wanted to give a review. I've put in the snap in soakers on both diapers so there was some bulk, but for nighttime I'm not really bothered by the bulk. I highly recommend this cover.

candybomiller
04-18-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm so jealous! I ordered my BW, but it won't be here until at least Tuesday. ARG! I'm way too impatient to wait that long.

Candy
Impatient Mom to Matt, 5/22/02

csa12
04-18-2003, 02:13 PM
I totally agree with you and was just about to post a review myself! I even ordered a size medium, which a tad bit big, but because there is a velcro panel on the front versus just strips I was able to still get a snug fit for my DS. He has chunky size medium thighs but a size small waist, so sizing is a tricky issue for us. I ordered 2 size smalls for a even more snug fit although medium was fine.

Other wool covers that I like are Stacinator wool-very trim and bizzy b wool-they cover a large size range and so were a good investment for me.

But I love love Bumpy wool covers and second your recommendation.

Cheryl :)

lisams
04-18-2003, 02:18 PM
I have been shying away from the wool covers because it just sounds scratchy! Is it really scratchy at all? Do you have to wash or do anything special to it to keep it "waterproof"?

Thanks for your review!!

Lisa

csa12
04-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Hi Lisa -
I am really happy with the 4 different wool covers I have and thanks to Sparkeze ( she uses only wool covers and I have used her posts to learn about washing them) caring for them is fairly easy.

As far as stiffness and scratchyness they vary:

Stacinator wool is the softest of the four--feels kind of like merino wool.

Bumpy wool is next as far as softness a little stiffer then the stacinator but still soft and comfortable. I like this the best because it has gussets and easily adjustable.

Aristrocrat feels like a wool sweater but works great at night--no leaks and no dampness.

Bizzy B wool cover feels the roughest (like a soft boiled wool) but the size range is huge (like 10-25 pounds for one size) and also works well at night.

To wash, Sparkeze says she soaks them for 30minutes in Eucalan wash in the sink and leaves to air dry overnight, which is what I plan to do.

I chose to use wool because I didn't like the plasitcky feel of PUL covers.

Althought they are a bit more expensive, I think wool is worth it!

Have fun choosing your covers,
Cheryl :)

sparkeze
04-19-2003, 02:16 AM
It is really easy to care for them, I wash mine usually 2 at a time in the bathroom sink. I probably use them for about 2-3 weeks before washing, and I lanolize every second or third time at the same time I wash them. Unless they're pooped on of course! To lanolize I melt a pea sized amount of lanolin in a mug full of hot tap water by stirring, and when it's all melted (you'll see a oily looking film on the top of the water) I pour it into the sink that's already been filled with cool water and a capful of eucalan. Then I put the covers in and swish them around for a few seconds. If I happen to go into the bathroom during the 30 minutes I let them soak I may flip them around but I don't think it's necessary. Then I very gently squeeze out excess water and roll it up in a towel that's headed for the laundry basket to squeeze out more water. Then I leave it overnight to dry. They all dry overnight except for the Aristocrats which takes 2 days. But I don't lanolize everytime, maybe once every month or two? If I'm not lanolizing it's super easy.

As far as scratchiness, I would venture to say that I would wear something made of the wool next to my skin. If the wool is felted it's more likely to be scratchy but even that's not too scratchy. If it's felted wool you can also wash it on the gentle cycle in a machine. I was pleasantly surprised at how soft my wool covers are though!