PDA

View Full Version : Need nightime help!

gravymommy3
04-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Last night was our first night in a CD. Not a very good start! I have my DD in a pocket-style AIO with two SMJAE doublers in the pocket. About three hours into the night, DD was laying in a lake! I changed her into two CPFs with another doubler, snappied and with just a pull-on cover. She was so bubble-butted that she could not roll-over (but she did not care). She did stay dry until the morning that way, but I don't want that much bulk on her. So here is the question.

I think I am going to break down and buy either a Fuzzi Bunz or a Happy Heiny. Which one do you all prefer and why? How many inserts should I use? Am I using the inserts correctly? I took it and just placed it in the pocket of the AIO I currently have - are you supposed to fold it or anything or just lay it in flat? Sorry to be a DA, but I have no clue. I just want a dry and somewhat trim child.

TIA

egoldber
04-19-2003, 12:51 PM
The SMJAE doublers are about half the thickness of a JoeyBunz. So you will need 2 of her doublers to equal one JoeyBunz for absorbancy. One JoeyBunz would not cut it for my DD at night. At night, I need two and sometimes three Joeys, espcially if she has been drinking a lot that day.

If you use two CPFs, you probably don't need another doubler. I have used two CPFs snappi'd together many times with no leaks.

Now, some basic questions. How many times did you wash the SMAJE doublers before use? Hemp needs several washings amd drying to reach full absorbancy, so that may be part of the issue. I wouldn't give up on your pocket diapers yet. But if they don't fit your DD well or gap at the legs, again that could be part of the issue.

Nighttinme diapering is the most challenging part of CDing for me. The struggle to find an absorbant enough combination that lets your child wear PJs is something of a challenge!

HTH,

gravymommy3
04-19-2003, 01:32 PM
I am confused. The SMJAE thing I have is fairly thick -I'm guessing about 1/4 inch thick. Are you saying that the JBz are thicker or have more layers? I washed them at least three times, so maybe I need to wash them some more. I guess I will try to get some JBz. Where is the best place to get them (ie - the cheapest?)

Thanks again.

blnony
04-19-2003, 01:35 PM
It took some time before I found what worked at night. I have Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heineys. I prefer the FB, just because I don't like Aplix that much and it gaps around the legs on Audrey. It might fit differently for you though.
With either, but esp. the FB, I stuff it with one prefold, folded in thirds and 1 boiled Joey Bunz on that and stuff into the pocket. I don't really use a fleece liner to catch at night b/c DD almost never poops at night. I say boiled because I learned that boiling any of my hemp inserts increases the absorbency by about 10 fold. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I washed them a couple of times, then just let them boil for about 3 minutes, took them out, put in the dryer until dry.
I've also started using wool at night instead of the FB. I am in love with my wool cover. With it, I use a Crickett's hemp with snap in doubler and the wool cover. It does create somewhat of a big booty, but then again, thats in now (hello J Lo!) Just kidding, but thats what DH calls her in her nighttime gear. :)
Three nights in a row now, 10 - 12 hrs. without any wetness or dampness at all! I love it!!
And I've noticed no redness on her at all, because the wool breathes so well. But another caution with the Crickett's, they have to be washed in hot and dryed about 5 times before they are really at their max absorbency.

gravymommy3
04-19-2003, 01:40 PM
My DH was laughing at how big her booty was yesterday. How hard is a wool cover to maintain? That is what is holding me back there! So, should I hold off on getting a FB or HH? I just ordered a Liz cloth Hemp fitted something or other.

Any and all advice accepted!!! :)

egoldber
04-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Michelle has a couple different kinds. What she calls "hemp fleece doublers" have 3 layers of fabric. JoeyBunz have 6 layers of hemp fabric, meaning they have more layers to absorb liquid. I have not actually used the SMJAE stuff, but when I asked on another board about using her stuff instead of Joeys, I was advised that I would need two per JoeyBunz, which makes the cost almost the same. If you have more than two of her doublers, you could try using more and see if that helps.

The JoeyBunz tend to be pretty consistently priced, usually around $4.50 for medium and $4.95 for large ones. You can sometimes find used ones on eBay or the ParentsPlace Flea Market board. Also, Babykicks (the manufacturer of JoeyBunz) also soemtimes sells seconds on eBay.

Another option you might think about is a hemp prefold for nighttime. I used one last night for DD and it worked great. Not as trim as a disposable, but it was fairly trim. Probaly inbetween using a Pocket diaper with 2-3 Joeys and two prefolds.

HTH,

candybomiller
04-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Amy,

We just had our first CD night last night! I was amazed at how well my fuzzi bunz worked. I had it stuffed with 2 hemparoos, one was laid out straight, the other was folded in half and placed strategically in the front. This morning the diaper was bulging, but the hemparoos soaked up the pee. There was no wet anywhere! I was sooooo impressed. No leaking at all. And ds is a HEAVY wetter.

I did boil the hemparoos before I used them. Don't know if it helped, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Candy
Mommy to Matt, 5/22/02

blnony
04-19-2003, 03:18 PM
I too was leary of wool before Audrey had a terrible rash about a week or so ago. I finally got rid of the rash, and got a wool cover to help her booty breath at night. I've found that I love this thing. I want like 5 more.. but I don't see that happening anytime soon:)
So far, I haven't done anything to it. (I probably should have, but I really wanted to use it), but what I plan on doing is once a week (if it isn't pooped on by then) washing it and once every month lanolizing it. (sorry for the spelling) Kelly at Kelly's Closet recommended using a gallon of water with a little bit of Eucalan wool wash (she sent a sheet, and its in DDs room and she's napping) and she said to just swoosh it in the water some, then lay it on a towel, roll it up to wring out the water, then let it air dry overnight. THats it. Once a week, and I've heard others can go two weeks. Then there is a link to info from Sparkeze than descibes how she lanolizes nad cleans. I read you can just use a dab of Lansinoh (which I have left of from BF.) Its actually easier than other covers. And I've loved the fit, how dry DD feels, and her clothes feel.
Here is the link -- Good Luck...It really does get easier the more trial and error there is...Really:)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/183.html

mamahill
04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't know about HH, but I do know that I only use FB at night, stuffed with either 2 JB, or one CPF. In the beginning I did 1 JB and 1 CPF, but now I just stick with the CPF, thus "saving" my JBs for day-use. Good luck! And don't apologize - trial and error and asking questions is how I got to where I am today (continuing to try, err, and ask questions! LOL).