PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime help part deux

gravymommy3
04-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Ok, I have joey bunz on the way. Last night was our second night in CDs and our second night ending up in a lake. YUK. I stuffed her pocket AIO (not a fuzzi bunz which I will have to order one of) with a CPF folded into thirds and a hemp doubler folded in half. I tried to concentrate the doubler up in the front part of the pocket. Hayden likes to sleep with her bootie up in the air. I did a post-mortem on the diaper when I changed her last night and the failure occurred through the top of the front of the diaper (like all the pee ran downhill to the top of the diap due to the way her hiney is up in the air with her legs curled under her). What can I do about this? The back part of the diaper was dry, the front soaked and the bed anniliated.

TIA

egoldber
04-20-2003, 09:53 PM
WOW! If you stuffed a pocket diaper with a CPF AND a hemp doubler and still had a lake maybe you do need to try a new pocket diaper. My DD likes to sleep in the "derriere in the air" position too. I also often have the front of the diaper soaked and the back dry. And occasionally, I get leaks, but never a lake.

What kind of pocket diaper are you using? What size? What size was the CPF?

blnony
04-20-2003, 09:59 PM
You might want to try a fitted with light elastic at the top of the front and back like a Crickett's Hemp or Luke's Drawers and a wool soaker like an Aristicrat. That would give you a "seal" at the top of the front and not be too tight for her to be uncomfortable. If you didn't want to use wool (which I highly recommend):), you could use something like a Motherease AirFlow Snap and an elastic top diaper and still have the same type of effect.
Just keep trying...between all of us surely we can stop Hayden's leaks:)

Edited: I just realized my Crickett's don't have the front elastic, but the Luke's Drawers does..

emilyf
04-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Charlie sleeps that way, and we have great success with Fuzzi Bunz, folded up at the front the way you describe. I just got some joeybunz, but I have used prefolds too without leaks. The only time we have that problem is with Kushies aios, they gap at the waist and have velcro at the top that he leaks through-maybe your pocket diaper has a design or fit problem? I don't think it's an absorbency issue.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

sparkeze
04-21-2003, 09:45 AM
How many times have you washed the CPF and hemp doubler before using them?

If it looks as if the pee might have run off the fabric try washing (or boiling!) the stuffers before trying it again.

gravymommy3
04-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Ok,

Here are the answers to the questions you all have posed. The diaper is a Doodlebottom (and I really don't think it is the diapers fault - she does fine with it during the day.) We did not get to try it last night because I had it all stuffed up front for the night and we were sitting on the bed trying to calm everyone down for sleep and she let loose sitting up (and of course there was not enough absorbancy in the right place for that) so I had to put her in a CPF with a doubler snappied and a bummis cover. We did not leak with that combo, so that may be what I have to go with. I do want to get a FB to try and I have some JB on order.

I am fairly sure that the CPFs are washed enough. They are bleached and I washed them three times and dried three times and sprinkled H20 on them and it absorbed. I can't tell you how many times the doublers have been washed. They came to me prewashed x2 and I washed them x2 to begin with. I have been a little fanatical about washing the diapes since I started. I have done two little loads per day since Friday, so each doubler has been washed at least twice since them.

One other thing that does not relate to nighttime. DD has not blessed me with a BM since we started Cding Friday. Should I move out of state now? I can only imagine how good this is going to be when it gets here!! Wish me luck!

Thanks to everyone for helping me get this right.

Edited to add: I do want to try a wool cover. I have one on order from El Bee but that is 2 months out. Any other suggestion for one I can get right now?

sparkeze
04-21-2003, 11:46 AM
I've never heard of a Doodlebottom, where'd you get it from?

If you used the same CPF and doubler with the Bummis and it worked fine it must be the Doodlebottom. Is this a pocket diaper that has microfleece on the inside? Check the fleece to see if water goes through it as oppsed to rolling around on top.

As far as the BM - my DS could go almost a week without one on occasion. Strangely, it didn't always mean that when he finally did go it was more than normal! I always thought that was weird.

Wool cover - For something you can get right now, I would try a Bumpy. They seem to be at least decent for everyone. I've never heard of anyone disliking it anyways. And that's pretty rare :)

blnony
04-21-2003, 11:52 AM
I love my Bumpy wool cover. I would say, try a Liz's Cloth hemp (washed a lot to help absorbency) and a bumpy wool cover. Use the doubler in the Liz's and that will help. I just ordered a LC and can't wait to try it. (I've heard great reviews about it) Its got the elastic at the top of the front and back, I've learned that makes a big difference when DD sleeps on her stomach.

egoldber
04-21-2003, 12:09 PM
It does sound like an issue with the diaper, and not necessarily the quality of the diaper. Not all diapers fit all babies. As sparkeze suggested, check the fleece to make sure it isn't repelling water. Also make sure that when you snap the diaper closed, you are getting a good tight fit at the waist.

In the end, you may need just use something else.

Good luck!

gravymommy3
04-22-2003, 12:34 PM
The Doodlebottom is a (newer) WAHM product. The Bummis that I have been using is a SWW, so they don't compare, do they? I don't know enough to be intelligent on this subject. All I know is last night was our only dry night (CPF, hemp doubler, BSIWW). I may just stick with that until I can get some wool covers.

Thanks to all for your help!!

Oh, and DH and I went out last night and left kids with our neighbor, who put DD in a sposie and that is when she decided to unload what she had been holding since Friday, so still no poop to deal with in a cloth diap yet.

Melanie
04-23-2003, 09:04 PM
I've had about 75% success with pocket diapers (either fuzzi bunz or happy heinys) at night. The one time I used a UBCPF and another hemp doubler it was a lake! Now I use 3 three layer hemp fleece doublers. One is a contour to make sure we reach the farthest diaper-pocket regions. I think that was one of our leaks, the doublers were just in the middle and he peed while in a position where it missed the doubler all together. So that's 1 three layer hemp fleece contour doubler and 2 three layer hemp fleece doublers. I got them from www.smjae.com. You might be able to find them elsewhere, too.

gravymommy3
04-24-2003, 12:59 PM
I have the contour doublers from smjae. Matter of fact, all of my doublers were from her until I got my JoeyBunz in the mail today (they are in the wash as I type, along with babykicks hemp prefolds, yea!) What has been working is a CPF (bikini twist) with two doublers (one folded in two) and her bummis SWW cover. Been successful three nights running with that. I really like the bummis cover better that the bumkins (it just feels more substantial to me). I ordered two PolarBabies fleece covers, but I am going to send them back. They don't fit well. I am going to order some Bumpy wool covers. I think that I will order one FB (but I am not holding my breath on that.)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

egoldber
04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
You will probably be very happy with the hemp prefolds. I have been happy with mine. I bought a Large Babykicks, and I should have bought the larger size, since I still need to use a samll hemp doubler with it. I also have a Polar Babies hemp prefold and I LOVE that one!!! It is so thick and soft. And I use that by itself at night with a Motherease Airflow cover and she goes all night!!

gravymommy3
04-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Is the polarbabies that much nicer than the babykicks? Will I regret not buying the polarbabies? Thanks

egoldber
04-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Let's put it this way, I thought the Babykicks one was SOOO soft, UNTIL I got the Polar babies. :) I don't regret buying the Babykicks one, since I wanted to try it, but I prefer the Polar Babies. The PB is also much thicker and I find it easier to pin. But if the Babykicks work for you, then that's great. They are also a few $$ cheaper than the Polar Babies.

HTH,

gravymommy3
04-24-2003, 04:35 PM
UGH.

I bought 6 reg. bks and 6 large ones. I guess I will have to get a PB to see. Maybe I can unload the bks and get PBs if I like them a lot more. GRRR!