PDA

View Full Version : CD ROLL CALL: A LIST OF WHO CDs!!!!!!

mama2be
04-21-2003, 09:35 AM
We all roughly know who CDs but I was curious as to an actual list of us. Feel free to mention for how long you've done it and even why...

mama2be
04-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Just started a week ago and going well. Still getting use to the fact that the diapers are saturated when I remove the cover but we seem to be adjusting I don't know what I expected.

Doing this for a few reasons it's nice to know we aren't adding more stuff to the landfills, but I think keeping the gel from getting on his little skin is my major reason. It's also nice to calculate the cost we are possibly saving factored over more than one child. And they are so soft!!!! I smile as I change him!!!

I never ever would have considered doing this if it was not for Beth's mentioning of it and for some reason when Sparkeze gave her review I actually had a "light bulb" moment and considered it!!!

blnony
04-21-2003, 10:00 AM
I've been CDing for about 6-7 weeks now. At first, I thought everyone was crazy when they mentioned it. Because I thought of pins, folding and plastic smelly pants. But once I started reading posts and ordered a couple to try, I was sold. I would look at disposables and they looked so rough and paperlike. I also added up how much less the cost of CDing was, our waste is so much less and I like the fact that I don't have to worry about buying or running out of diapers. I just have to go to the laundry room if we are low. I love it. Its also been fun looking for cute and functional diapers and finding out what works for us. I love the experimentation. I know it costs a little more, but I like having the choices.
I've found that I go through stages, where I like different kinds of diapers. I tried a prefold this weekend just to see what it was about, but my monkey child was just way to wiggly to use it right. But I like having to choice to try the new stuff. When you are home all day, its nice to have a little variety.
I think Audrey has been more comfortable in cloth, and I'm happy not to have all the chemicals next to skin too. There are just a lot of reasons I switched and I'm really glad I did, and so is DH, he actually likes the cloth much better now too.

C99
04-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I had always planned to CD and once Nathaniel was here and had lost his cord, I started CDing full-time. So he's been in cloth for about 10 weeks. My reasons for CDing were (1) my mom CD'd all 3 of her kids, (2) environmental concerns, (3) fear of gel-like crystals on his privates, (4) a delusion that CDing will ease potty-training, and (5) a bit of a desire to "be different."

My husband tends to use disposables when he can get away with it and we have them in the house. He will occasionally use AIOs, but he ONLY uses AIOs. I plan to still use disposables when traveling.

nathansmom
04-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Nathan and I have been CDing for about a month now. We are doing part time. Mainly because dad won't touch a poopy cd. The reason we switched is Nathan inherited mom's allergies to almost everything and the disposables were causing major rashes. The only diaper that didn't was Huggies which we are still using part time. Although the more I use the CD's the more my dh likes them. Hopefully soon we will be cding full time.

Momof3Labs
04-21-2003, 11:01 AM
I started to switch to cloth diapers when Colin was about 5 months old. After ordering some samples, it has taken me a while to get close to full-time CD'ing, partially because the dipes I wanted were backordered, blah, blah, blah. We are about there now, but I haven't taught my mom and DH all the ins and outs of my stash, so we still use disposables on some days that I work (and mom or DH babysits). Although if DH is changing Colin (which he does often when we are both home), and he takes off a CD, he will ask for help putting on a clean CD.

I switched because we were getting a terrible fit with disposables (Colin is very long and skinny) and seeing lots of poopy leaks. I was sick of washing poop out of his clothes - heck, if I have to do that, why use a diaper?? We got the best fit from Huggies, but they reek of urine as soon as they get wet, and they leave those awful gel balls on Colin's skin. The landfill factor was certainly a consideration, although not the first reason I considered CDing. And now that I'm doing it, I find that it is a lot of fun and not a lot of additional work. Except for trying to get a fitted AND a cover on my wiggle worm - it's hard to diaper a baby as you are chasing him across the room!

I NEVER would have considered cloth diapering if it hadn't been for the moms on this board. It seemed like something that "crunchier" moms would do (picturing Dharma's on Dharma and Greg) - but I guess between still bf'ing, carrying Colin in a sling and now CD'ing, I'm turning into a crunchy mom!

gravymommy3
04-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I have been CDing since Friday, but only my little one. My DS is still refusing to have anything to do with CDs, training pants, big boy undies, etc. I wish I had done this with all three (but I guess the CDs five years ago were not as cool as these today.)

DH (who won't hardly change a sposie) will not even go near the CDs. He thinks I have lost my mind (and if you all told me two months ago I would be doing this, I would have agreed with him.)

I would like to say I am doing it to save money, but at the rate I am buying diapers, DD would have to wear them to college for me to realize a true savings. I guess some monetary savings, the environmental thing, convenience of not running of out diapes when DH is at work and having to drag three kids to the store, they are better for her hiney, etc is why I am doing this. I have to admit that I am having fun with it.

Thanks to all of you who have helped and thanks for converting me.

sparkeze
04-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I've been cd for about 7 months. I had been planning to use a diaper service while I was pregnant but once the baby came I was just so busy (and sleep deprived!) that I forgot about it. When I joined a playgroup all the other moms used prefolds and I started thinking about switching to cloth. Then I saw all the other options out there and started to get tempted! Once I just decided that it was do-able for me to wash our own even while using coin-op machines I went ahead and plunged in :)

Now I'm swimming in diapers and I am still on the prowl for more!

nohomama
04-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Lola has been in cloth diapers since she was six days old. We started with a service (we recieved 3 monthes of service as a shower gift...NICE GIFT!!!) and continued until she was somewhere between five and six months old. After that, we began laundering Lola's diapers ourselves. Our reasons for cloth diapering are primarily environmental but more over because we've just always liked the idea of it.

Lola was in cloth diapers exclusively until about the same time we started laundering dipes ourselves. She's breastfed and when she was still waking fairly regularly at night it was never a big deal to change her diaper. When she started sleeping for longer stretches though, we began to have lots of leaks. Now we do use disposables at night, when we're traveling, and occassionaly when we're out and about. The majority of the time Lola's bum is wrapped in cloth though.

I didn't really begin using anything besides prefolds until Lola was around 12 months because we used a service at first and because I knew it was a slippery slope. I've managed to keep myself reigned in and we have a stash of CPFs, Kissaluv fiitted seconds, Kissaluv contour seconds, and various and sundry doublers. I have two Sugarpeas hemp fitteds on the way but considering Lola's age, that is likely to be my last diaper purchase until another kid comes along...unless I find a great deal on some seconds or used dipes I'm interested in trying.

egoldber
04-21-2003, 12:01 PM
I've been CDing Sarah for about 6 months now (WOW! how did that happen?). I switched from disposables when she was 14 months. I had always been intrigued by CDing but it took me 14 months to work up the courage! I think it was KathyO and nohomama and the matter of fact/no big deal way they talked about CDing that gave me the nerve!

I switched because 1) I wanted to try it, 2) I think it is better for baby and the environment, and 3) to be a little different. I don't think of myself as "crunchy", but I guess I am a bit! I also have a faint hope that it will make potty training easier, whenever we get around to thinking about that! I must say that now I am into it, I really ENJOY cloth diapering. I never expected that!

todzwife
04-21-2003, 12:06 PM
I am going to be CDing when the baby comes (after my mother leaves, she thinks they are "ewww"). DH and I wanted to try it because 1. all the savings if we have more than 1 kid (we are planning on 4)2. No gel blobs on the little ones privates 3. they are SO cute 4. everyone who does it, loves it! I am such a follower! LOL! Can't wait!
Shandelle ;)
P.S. I am FINALLY out of the first trimester! Anyone want to party with me!

parkersmama
04-21-2003, 12:20 PM
I will be CDing our new baby (if the silly girl *ever* arrives!!). I would have used CDs with our first two but they were both in childcare as infants and I didn't think anyone else would be willing to deal with the CDs. Now that it looks like I'll be home more, we've taken the plunge. I am apprehensive about how dh is going to do because he's always done more than his fair share of diaper duty (he's a great dad...does baths, too!) and I think he's uncertain about the CD thing and not totally into like I am. My brother and his wife had their first baby in February and they are using CPFs from a diaper service and my brother has been changing the diapers. I know if he can do it so can my dh!!! LOL!

My reasons for choosing to CD are 1) I love to be different! 2) I'm a semi-tree hugger and the environmental issues have always bothered me & 3) the more I've read about the gels and chemicals the grosser I think they are!

Reading so much on this board about the ease of CDs really convinced me to go ahead and do it. I have a variety of diapers (fitteds, CPFs, and a couple of AIOs) to try and I'm really looking forward to it!

lisams
04-21-2003, 12:25 PM
I've been CDing my DD for about 2 months now.

I switched because the disposies STINK!! Even before she was born, the Pampers sample they gave us at birth class irritated my nose like crazy. No matter what brand (some worse than others) the minute urine hit the diaper it smelled very "chemically". That got me thinking about what was on her bottom all day!! I just don't like the thought of those stinky chemicals being on her 24 hours a day.

Things that have happened since we switched:
No more redness on her bum!
No more heaps of diapers filling our garbage!
I don't get all stuffy and sneezy when I change her!

So all in all it has been worth it for several reasons! I'm so very happy that we switched! :-)

Lisa

Calmegja
04-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Me...

We've been CDing for 3 months now. I do a three year old at night only, and an 11 month old full time.

I switched because I was sick and tired of changing diapers the same old way. I have four kids, I've been diapering consistently since 1995, and I wanted a change. Probably not a terrific reason, but it's mine....

I love it. I like everything about it. Dh likes it. My inlaws think I'm insane.....;-)

natividad
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
I have been CDing DS for 5 weeks (he is 7 weeks old) and really enjoy it. I have always been interested in cloth diapers because 1) I feel its better for the environment and the baby's skin, 2) my mom CD me, 3) wanted to try something different, and 4) the cost factor over the long run since we are planning on having two children. After reading posts by Beth, KathyO and nohomama, I REALLY got excited so I started ordering samples. I still use disposables for night time until I try a FB and for when out, although I am now beginning to go out with DS in cloth (I carry disposables in the diaper bag still).

I have not tried a whole lot of CDs. I have very simple dipes - I mainly use CPFs, Kissaluv contours and inexpensive nylon covers. I am now in the process of expanding my stash by ordering two days worth of fitted diapers :-O

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

candybomiller
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Add us to the list. I have no idea how long we've been doing it (time has no meaning to me anymore), but I love it. We use cloth 75% of the time. And I have to add that although DH was extremely supportive of my decision to cd ds, he hasn't changed a diaper since we switched. :) I'm sure it's just a coincidence... sure.

The reasons we've switched... there are a couple. The major reason is those darn gel balls that got stuck on ds. I hated those things. And our diaper champ STUNK. It annoyed my that I couldn't spend 5 minutes in ds's room without getting nauseous.

And, I also am a follower. CD'ing is something I had thought about off and on but dh wouldn't let me switch because he was afraid I would spend hundreds of dollars and not stick with it. Well, I've spend hundreds of dollars, but so far I'm loving it. Everyone seemed like they were having such a good time, I just had to try it!

Candy
Mommy to Matthew Nicholas
5/22/02

emilyf
04-21-2003, 01:11 PM
I've been cding for almost 3 months, my mom had done it with all four of us but she had a service, and I wasn't really interested in that. But, I became intrigued reading posts here and decided to research it a bit. The cost savings spread over a few children was appealing as was reducing our huge trash pile. I started to get really grossed out by the smell of disposables (particularly Pampers, I'm not sure why) When I learned how easy it is to wash them at home I decided to give it a try. I ordered some thinking I would use both cds and disposables, but I haven't really looked back. I have a backup disposable in my diaper bag, and dh sometimes uses them but other than that we are pretty full time. Dh thinks it's just another excuse to buy stuff over the internet, which I guess is part of the appeal, but even he is becoming converted. I've tried to spread the word to other moms without much success, I never would've done it without you guys!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Karenn
04-21-2003, 01:14 PM
We've been experimenting with CD's for about a month now and I'm really starting to enjoy it!

I decided to try it for several reasons.
1. To see if it really was as easy as everyone was saying
2. To save money
3. I'm also clinging to the hope that potty training will be easier.

It's the economics of it that appeal to DH, and so far, he's done great with the CD's.

The funniest thing for me is that my expectations of how much I would like certain diapers have been way off. I almost didn't order a Bumkins AIO and tried Kissaluv Contours almost by accident. Now, those are my favorites. (Thanks Candy!) I was certain I would love prefolds and Kissaluv fitteds- but they're currently at the bottom of my list! And, like some of the rest of you, I NEVER would have even thought about CD's if I hadn't heard about it from all of you.

KathyO
04-21-2003, 01:56 PM
I've been CDing my 2-year-old DD since about the 6-week mark. We tried some homemades that a friend had used for her kids, and they didn't fit well, so we went to the MotherEase Sandies and never looked back. I'd never have tried CDing without the encouragement of that friend, and my mom, who also CDed.

I did it for the usual assortment of reasons - discomfort with the mountain of waste caused by disposables, annoyance at the number of leaks and blowouts they had, the cost-savings factor, and probably a perverse desire to be different. (Used to work at a stable, so once you've stood in it up to your knees and shovelled it, it's just not that big a deal any more.)

I guess I must register somewhere on the hippy-crunchy meter - my girlfriends in the moms group jokingly refer to me as Hippiechick - long hair, CDs, BFing, tofu-eating, natural fibres, all that stuff.

I'd LOVE to start experimenting with all the wonderful WAHM brands I am hearing about (who'd have thought CDing could be so addictive?) but we are extremely skint for cash at the moment, so I'm being a good girl. Doesn't mean I can't read and drool!

Cheers,

KathyO

AngelaS
04-21-2003, 02:25 PM
I've been cding Gabrielle since she was about two weeks old. She's now almost 11.5 months old. :)

I'm using cds because: 1. I'm cheap. LOL 2. I like to be different. 3. I needed a new hobby and doing hours of research and shopping was what I needed late in my pregnancy. :D

RiaHannam
04-21-2003, 02:37 PM
I've CD'd all my kids either part or full time. This time around I'm planning on doing it full time and using Tushies if needed (vacations, etc). My first son was born in 1991 so it's been a long time! I'm expecting my 4th child around 5/9.

Can't wait to start Cd'ing once again!

Maria

mamahill
04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Hello, I'm Sarah, and I'm a cd-er. We've been cding for almost 2 months. I'll admit that I became interested in it after reading the increased posts on cding, and thinking that maybe it wasn't so hard/gross/complicated as I originally thought. Plus, DH had often mentioned how disturbed he was at how much waste the disposables generated. And once I read that cd-ed babies potty train faster, I was sold.

So here we are, and not a single regret (well, maybe just that I didn't start this sooner)! And even last night DH was commenting on how much less garbage we put out for the garbage man (we have one, maybe two bags of trash per week - the can is half full, as opposed to brimming over!).

And I must say I get a certain satisfaction out of telling people that we are in cloth! edited to add: And seeing the look on their faces :o I, too, like to be a little different.

candybomiller
04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
YAY Karen! I'm so glad you're enjoying the kissaluvs. I was thinking about emailing you and letting you know how much we like the luke's drawers. How funny. :)

Candy
Mommy to Matthew Nicholas
5/22/02

MartiesMom2B
04-21-2003, 04:22 PM
DH is amazed by all of the things that I've learned and bought from your advice, and yes I'm about to join the CD club. I received my newborn sampler from natural babies (Thanks Beth). I can't wait to try them out, however I need to find some liners (do they sell them at BRU or do I have to get them on internet). I was like a little girl on Christmas opening up and examining the diapers. I'm sure I'm going to have a zillion questions for you as I get used to this.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

P.S. When I mentioned to people that I was going to CD, the response I received was "Yeah right, like you are going to do that". Of course I'm the type of person who likes to proove people wrong. I can't wait to see their faces when they see Martie in her CDs.

sugarsnappea
04-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I started using CD's on my Daughter when she was born. Julia Grace is now 22 months old. I am so happy that so many use CD and enjoy it!

I have been a lurker on this board since summer 00'- back then there were not very many posts about CDing. It took a lot of reading and researching for me to take the plunge- my family and friends were not very supportive. My husband enjoys it until "the pail" is downstairs by the laundry!

The reason I chose to do it was mostly that it seemed more natural and the fact that I am frugal and like to be different.

I currently use chinese pre-folds and Nikky Poly covers. :)

Melanie
04-21-2003, 05:20 PM
We've been CDing since Ds was 14 months...so about 3 months. I started b/c at about the same time I started reading the CD posts on THIS board, we moved and need a tighter budget and Ds started developing eczema and I thought the chemcials against his skin 24/7 couldn't be helping.

I read other boards which tend toward the crunchy, but it's you ladies which reeled me in!

I know NO ONE IRL who CDs...I wish I did! Of course Dh & I were CDed in the 70's but that's b/c our parents had to. I didn't CD from the beginning b/c all I imagined were plastic pants, pins, prefolds & diaper bulk!

It's so EASY and dare I say, even fun!

Mommy to Jonah

csa12
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
I have been Cding Liam for about a month now and can't believe how much easier it is now that I am actually doing it. Prefolds are even one of my favorite ways of cding (that surprised me the most). I am inthe process of devising a night time system that will keep DS dry overnight because I tend not to change him as much (prefer a sleeping dirty baby than a clean awake one at 3am!)

Reasons why I am doing it: Yet another interesting topic to research, it's saving us money, no leaks with explosive poops, I too hate the disposable "smell", and they look so cute on DS's baby butt!!

It's funny that people mention the gel crystals/gel balls b/c I had no idea what they were when I first saw them! I was like "is his peepee crystlizing in the diaper?" hahaha

Anyways, thanks to the CD veterans who persuarded me and provide me with great Cd tips and advice.

Cheryl :)

mama2be
04-21-2003, 06:45 PM
How funny...I don't think I would have admitted until I saw your post...or even realized it, but I too like to "be different" :)...I would have to say that is one reason I am certain that I am doing it!!!

Momof3Labs
04-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I know absolutely NO ONE IRL who CDs, either (except my mom, 30 and 27 years ago), which is another reason why I could not see myself doing it at first. But I may have one convert - I mentioned it in passing to a friend who was very interested (her DD is 2 months younger than Colin). The bonus is that she is a fantastic sewer - her DD could be really decked out in some works of art!!

Kate888
04-21-2003, 07:50 PM
I've been CDing my 14 month old for 2 months now. It's a lot of fun! Even my DH learned all the new words, such as "fitted", "CPF" and "AIO" :) He even knows how to use a snappi!!

I started using CDs because:1) I hate the stinky disposables 2) CDs are so cute 3) I love reading all the CD posts here LOL! I also enjoy washing/folding the CDs. It's very relaxing. The best of all, I'll never have to worry about running out of diapers.

Thanks everyone here for sharing great tips and experiences. You made the transition a piece of cake :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

MelissaTC
04-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Matthew has been wearing cloth diapers for 7 months. We started with a diaper service but after ordering covers from a WAHM, I decided to try AIO's which led me to fitteds...and I quit the service. I can do it myself, I thought. LOL. What was I thinking? :P

My little guy always had irritation from disposables. He would be covered in gel balls (depending on the brand)and then cry when I tried to clean them off of him. One day, I received a catalog in the mail from Ecobaby and fell in love with the cute diapers. I was familiar with cloth, having worked as a sub teacher in a day care that used cloth exclusively. I wanted to do it but DH was hesitant. After the episodes with the disposables, my mind was made up and I called the service. A month later, I cancelled and I have been buying cds ever since...

At the same time this was going on, Beth and some of the other ladies on here were switching over so it definitely was useful to come here and read what others were trying, etc.. and to know that I was not alone (or CRAZY!!!)...

Rhonda36
04-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Well, I don't CD just yet, but will whenever this little monkey decides to make his/her appearance. I started researching the option of CDing early in my pregnancy. DH must have thought it was another attack of the pregnancy hormones and just let me run with it -- and I think I've become slightly obsessed by it.

Main reason? I desperately want to stay home after the baby is born, and have gone through all kinds of budgets in order to find a way to make it happen. BFing and CDing just seem to make a whole lot of sense financially, and now I know for a whole bunch of other reasons too.

I did, begrudingly, buy one package of newborn pampers to use at first, until the meconium passes -- they smell horrible! I can't wait to wrap this baby's bum in the sinfully soft cloth dipes I've collected over the months.

Another reason? The "different" factor. I love seeing people's expressions when I tell them we are using CDs... even though they're all skeptical and don't think that we'll stick with it. My sister, who is somehow morally opposed to it (how can you be morally opposed to cloth?), went so far as to say "I hope they leak all over you and your house smells." I can't wait to see her face when she sees my adorable baby and his/her cushie bum...

Thanks for all the great info! I'll keep you posted on our CD "real life" journey (the teddy bear just isn't cutting it for me anymore...).

Rhonda
due any second -- or May 10, 2003

celfsh
04-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Okay, I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd share my experience even though I have only been CDing for about 10 days or so :)! Like so many of you, I have to admit that never in a million years did I imagine myself CDing--and neither did DH. In fact, he is actually eating his words right now because whenever people used to ask him about what it was like to be a new dad changing diapers 24/7, he was always like, "Not TOO bad--at least we don't have to use cloth diapers like in the olden days." LOL!

Anyway, the reason I first started getting interested in CDing is simply because all you ladies made it sound like so much fun! I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Plus, DD kept having blow-outs EVERY time she pooped. I figured if I was going to be washing out poop every day, I might as well be using cloth and saving some money...right? :). Of course, I was pretty sure DH wouldn't go for the idea (we're talking MAJOR germophobe here), but then he surprised me by agreeing that we should give CDs a try. (I think I posted before about his mom thinking it was "weird" being a major selling point--LOL!)

Anyway, to make a long story (somewhat) short, we started out with a sampler package from naturalbabies and have been CDing pretty much full time since day one. I have to say that after switching to cloth, I don't think I will ever go back to disposables. I just love CDing and actually get excited about changing DD's diaper now! I like CDs better than disposables for a variety of reasons--more effective (not a single blow-out since we switched!), less wasteful, MUCH cuter, and, yes, different! Like Sara, I have to say that the look on people's faces when they find out you CD is simply priceless!

Thanks to all of my BBB friends who helped us make the switch! Now to convert everyone else...:)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

smkinc
04-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi All,

I've been CDing part time since my son came home on 3/6. I really wanted to use fuzzi bunz, but they just don't fit his fat little thighs very well! I'm now waiting for an order of kissaluv contours and plan to try a variety of wraps to figure out what I like best.

I actually CD'ed my niece 15 years ago when I babysat her for a summer. My sister had a service and it was pins and rubber ducky pants. I guess I'm relatively lucky in that both of my sisters CD'd with prefolds and plastic pants back in the dark ages, so I've had a fair amount of family support to CD.

I showed my mom my fuzzi bunz and a fitted kissaluvs--which she now refers to as my 'fancy' diapers!

I want to CD because it just seems better for his skin, my pocketbook and the environment. I actually am nauseated when I use pampers because of all of the scent, and feel guilty everytime I through a poopy diaper away because I feel as though I'm saving his poop for all posterity.

This is a great board for CD'ing. Thanks for all of your advice.

Mary
Mommy to Jeremiah (born 2/4/03)