PDA

View Full Version : HELP FOR SOON TO BE CD'ing MOM!

somedayamommy
04-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Well I am am expecting our first baby in July. We were thinking about doing a cloth diapering service, because we didn't have a w/d. But now we are in the process of putting a w/d in and know it will be cheaper to wash our diapers instead of doing the service...
QUESTON: Where do I start...I am reading these posts and am so overwhelmed! I know I will start with CPF, but what about the covers? Where do I buy the diapers/covers? How many do I buy? I need to know which work BEST!
ANY help will be much appreciated!

C99
04-21-2003, 03:33 PM
What works BEST depends entirely on you and your baby. However, to start out, I'd recommend that you buy a minimum of 4 Prowrap covers. The reason that I suggest Prowraps is that they are relatively inexpensive and really easy to use and take care of.

mamahill
04-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I agree with the Prowraps - they're a great place to start. Do a search, and you can find the phone number for Prowraps and get seconds. Neve did, and she says they are just fine, and much cheaper!

Also, you can get CPFs at just about any diaper place. I got mine from Colleen at naturababies.com. And there are www.kellyscloset.com and www.juliesstuff.com, to name a couple more. These ladies have great information on their sites about how much you would need, but just factor that you're going to be changing your baby every couple hours. How often do you want to do laundry? That will dictate how many dipes you need.

Good luck - and welcome to the club!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/151.html
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/210.html
Also, in one discussion, Beth listed "Knowing now, what I would get..." for various stages (infant, baby, toddler), and I can't for the life of me find it. I printed it out and used it as a reference myself, but can't find where the link is :(. Anyway, those 2 other links are among my favorite.

Also check out www.diaperpin.com

Karenn
04-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Here's the "Knowing what you know now..." link. It's one of my favorites too. I still refer to it!

<http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/153.html>

Edited to add: My favorte cover (today) is a Bummis Super Industrial Whisper Wrap. I don't much care for the proraps. Bummis are reasonably inexpensive and also very easy to care for.

mamahill
04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks! I don't know why it wouldn't come up when I searched.

I have one Bummis SIWW that I really like. I like that it has the velcro for the tabs to stick to during washings. But I've heard that that velcro can also rub on baby and that isn't always nice. But they definitely feel like better quality!

egoldber
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
It's all in the fit. Bummis just don't fit my DD right. Proraps fit her great. And I have had no trouble with my Proraps holding up.

Because every baby and every mom is different, I always recommend starting out with a sampler (either a package like at naturalbabies or a do it yourself one) and trying things out before spending a lot of money. After experimenting a bit, I am finding I love the basics. CPFs and Motherease are my personal favs.

HTH,

somedayamommy
04-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks Ladies
You have all said what I have read alot. Bumkins, Proraps,a and CPF's.
I am in the process of talking to Heather at Punkinbutts.com to figure out how many of everything!
I just can't wait to use CD's!

mama2be
04-21-2003, 10:03 PM
IF I could do it over as far as CPFs go I would be tempted to order the hemp ones that Beth just bought. Since i have abandoned my CPFS (for now)...without ever trying them I just might order some in the future.

I only mention that because it sounds like you are going to be ordering them

Also note there are European PFs too...a search on the internet can help you with that I think weebees has them.