PDA

View Full Version : CD wavering....

sweetbasil
04-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Alright girls (and guys, though I rarely ever see any w/CD posts :))....I've been lurking around the CD posts for a while now, and DH and I talked about it, and were both interested in giving it a go for baby #2. So when we went to DS#1's ped last week for a visit, I asked her what her thoughts were on CDing...she pretty much shot it down. Said she tried it for a while, and it was just too much work, the pail where diapers soak is really smelly, and it doesn't save any $ and takes extra time in the long run. She said she also tried a service, but then you're relying on someone else to be punctual, etc., and that just didn't work out either. I came home and told DH, and he said, yeah, I can see why it could take lots more time, you've already got lots on your plate, and I'm not really stuck on CDing, so maybe we should just keep going with sposies.

Here's the only thing- the crystal/gel stuff on DS's little bottom is just disconcerting to me. That's not natural.

So I know I'm asking a group of gals that's pretty experienced in this area, and just wanted your wise counsel on this. The only other helpful info I might be able to provide is that I'm hoping to have one more baby (maybe two...let's not give DH heart failure, though), so I know that would change the economics of this a little.

Plus, I'm like several others in the "why I CD" thread- I like to enjoy being a little different- and this would definitely qualify!

TIA,

blnony
04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
First, I would like to say, everyone's opinions are different.
I don't use a wet pail method to soak diapers, and I don't have any smell in the pail I use. My diaper champ with disposables actually smelled worse.
I think it does save money. In two months, I have spent about $200 on diapers, in that period alone I would have spent about $100-$130 on disposables. Its also more convienent for me. I like not having to worry about shopping for diapers, running out of diapers, moving into another size while having an open package of one size, etc.
And, I think it depends on the "diaper system" you like. Some like CPF's and covers, I like fitteds and covers and a few AIOs. If you can find a system you like, its not much trouble IMO. If you're not happy with your system or have leaks and blow outs, its not going to work, but I also had those problems with disposables. Also, I think if your work outside the home it might be more challenging. I do laundry during the day at what seems all the time, and adding a load of diapers to that is nothing. Its actually more trouble to get ready, get the baby ready, and go to the store to get diapers. But if you are pressed for time to parent, work, be a spouse etc. I think it would be more difficult.
I think you just have to see what works for you. It really is an individual choice, and either route you go, the most important thing is being a good parent. If cloth is too stressful, then don't feel bad for using disposables. Also, cloth diapering has come a long way, its not pins, and plastic pants anymore, so its possible her view might be a little skewed.
Either way you choose, it will all be fine.

sparkeze
04-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Well, I wouldn't be a poster child to show how economical CDing is but I still don't think I've spent more than I would've on disposables. And as for laundry, when DS was exclusively BF we had more poopy clothes than I could've imagined (his and ours!). I never used a service but some of my friends did and they thought it was very convenient. But when they stopped the service and started washing their own they wondered why they spent all that money paying for a service when it was so easy to do it themselves!

As for the smell, I use a dry pail which I keep in the bathroom. It must really hold in the smell because I can't smell it until I open the pail - WOW! I did try using deodisks, etc at the beginning but the smell of the deodisk was a little overpowering and there wasn't even an odor to cover up anyways. I use coin-op machines and it is a bit of a pain to haul the gigantic bag of dirty diapers downstairs but not any different than doing our other laundry.

DH was not entirely excited about switching to cloth when we did and even now he still complains. But when I ask him if he wants to switch back to disposables he's very certain he likes cloth. Why? Once you get used to seeing a soft cloth diaper on your baby's butt it seems unnatural to put paper on it instead. And something chemical free is nice too! We did have visions of being economical when we started but the reasons we continue are that we like not having to throw away piles of disposables, better for DS's bottom, not having to go to the store to buy diapers (especially when at 10PM you suddenly realize you're all out!), and the reusable factor. I like changing DS often. With disposables I always felt that it was a waste to change him every hour and a half but with cloth I can change him knowing that the diaper will be washed and used again. Also more minor issues like having some variance in absorbancy, cuteness, and it's become somewhat of a hobby for me.

And you can sell them when you're done! With anywhere from 1-3 more babies you would get your money's worth out of cloth diapers, that's for sure. Maybe you can try a cost analysis?

gravymommy3
04-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Julie,

Back in January when I started frequenting this board, I saw posts about CDing and I thought these women had absolutely lost their minds. No way would I ever do that. Seemed like too much effort. I did read the posts and looked at what was out there (but there was no way I was going to do that!!) Well, here I sit with my youngest in a CPF and Bummis cover, loving it, wishing I had done this a long time ago. I still don't have a pail (and started CDing last Friday) but since we have not had a poopy diap yet (she unloaded on the sitter who had put her in a disposible) it has not been a issue. I am washing the diapes as soon as I have four or five wet ones (about 1 1/2 loads per day) but it does not seem like doing regular laundry. There is no folding involved, so it is not a pain.

I like the thought that I might save money (if I can quit buying cute diapes), don't have to worry if I have enough diapes left (or do I need to send DH to store to get more), less garbage, cuteness and comfort factor. And now that I have figured out how to get through the night dry (something I was not getting in a sposie), I am a very happy camper.

Take what your ped. says with a grain of salt. Most of them don't care for family beds, bfing for longer than a year, etc. Do what works for you. You could get a small amount of diapes and try them out and see what you think. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not, put those suckers on a sale board or eBay and get most of your money back.

Good luck to you.

nohomama
04-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Regardless of the fact that your ped wasn't enamored of her cloth diaper experience, I beg to differ with her assertion that it's not economical (I leave it to Beth and other stastically minded folkes to provide you with numbers). There is an up front balloon payment, so to speak, but over time and especially over mutilple children it can be MUCH cheaper than disposables. And as many of use devotees have mentioned before, the yuck factor isn't too bad and it definitely doesn't have to be a stinky experience.

I started off with a service and think its and excellent way to go if your not certain about the whole thing. You'll have to research services in your area, but the way mine worked was we left dirty dipes out on our porch to be picked-up one morning a week. They dropped of clean dipes at the same time. I didn't have to be home for the transaction to take place and therefore was not relying on someone to be punctual.

Karenn
04-24-2003, 12:49 PM
I have to say, I would never be able to CD (without a diaper service) if I worked outside the home. It would be too much work for me to get them washed at times when I wasn't at work. Since I can "do diapers" at any old time, it's much easier to get them washed. So that might be part of why it didn't work for your ped. If you wash them yourself, I really do think it saves money (as long as you don't go overboard.) Did you see Beth's calculations?
[http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/210.html]

When I was on the fence, I decided to spend $50 on samples (naturalbabies.com has a good one) just to try it out, and now I'm hooked. :) Also, I don't soak my diapers either and they seem to still get clean.

HTH,

KathyO
04-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Your ped may not have liked her CDing experience, but my family doctor lit up when he saw CDs on my daughter. He and his wife had CDed both their girls. I use a dry pail, it's not smelly, and CDing for me adds up to two extra loads of laundry a week, and that's all. (Two easy loads, too - they don't need to be sorted into lights and darks, and they don't need to be folded after; when they're done I just dump them into the laundry basket of clean diapers beside the change table.)

And anyone who tells you that they're just as expensive as sposies is using a math I'm not familiar with. And that's even before things like resale value.

I'd say go ahead and give it a shot! It's something you WANT to do, so why not?

Cheers,

KathyO

egoldber
04-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Obviously, I agree with the others! I really wish I had switched to CDs before Sarah was 14 months. It is really not much (if any) extra work. For me, it adds up to 3 extra loads of laundry a week. And I tend to throw the dipes in and then go run errands. When I come back, I put them in the dryer. I spend about 15 minutes a week folding diapers, but that is "fun" time since I share it with Sarah. She LOVES helping with the diapers.

For me the trick of saving money with CDing was finding something that works and sticking with it. While I think all those other diapers out there are terribly cute, I don't have any burning desire to try every WAHM diaper out there. For some, it becomes a hobby. I'm a little more of a "function over fun" kinda gal. ;)

And I do still use disposables occasionally. When we go on vacation, I use disposables. On long car trips, I use disposables. But I buy one pack of disposables every few MONTHS now, instead of a using one and half packages a week.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
04-24-2003, 04:45 PM
OK, I'm a little ignorant. What's WAHM stand for. I've been trying to figure it out, but couldn't decipher.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

sweetbasil
04-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Good question, Sonia. There are several acronyms in the CD world that have been puzzling to me...maybe you pros could start a definition thread?

TIA,

Edited to add: Is CPF cloth pre-fold? ME = Motherease? What's PUL? Sorry if these are ignorant questions- I guess I am, in this case :)

mama2be
04-24-2003, 05:31 PM
PUL I believe is the fabric that is water proof used for covers. I am not certain of the exact words it represents but you see it used when discussing covers vs wool etc...I assume it is the plasticy ones like prowraps that I use.

WAHM is work at homes mother. It represnts the gals who either sell products or make products and sell them while also staying home wiht their kids :)...

CPF and ME you were correct. I find I type CPF even though mine are European I automatically call them CPFs...

sweetbasil
04-24-2003, 05:38 PM
There you are, Neve! I've been looking for your newfound cloth diaper experience in response to this thread all afternoon :) Thanks!

mama2be
04-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Julie I have to say without a doubt that if I was still working and had the job I had and the extra money I suspect that I'd spend way more on cloth than disposables because Tristan would be sporting covers with appliqued trains, airplanes and lions on them...sure over several children it might have worked out BUT I know me and I'd be spending big bucks on the adorable and the expensive....:)...

BUT with that said there is no way with the system I am adopting that this will come close to costing what disposables would cost me. And then when I factor in the re sell of those cute appliqued diaper covers even they wouldn't cost more.

I have "brain washed" myself to accept that the appliques would go unnoticed by his clothes and that I want his clothes to be the statement and not the diaper (I stress brain washed myself to think this-I'd do anything to have some appliqued covers)...:):):)

I've said this before I hate laundry more than any chore...BUT this is differnt like KathyO said there is no sorting, folding, finding a place for them, cursing that other clothes colors got on them. It's real simple just throw them in with the bag in the pail and wash and dry and throw them back in the basket. I actually find myself smiling when I wash anything pertaining to him (this might change as time goes on)...but I do, I don't dread his laundry at all for some reason.

We've been using a disposable during the night..one from 11:00pm till about 7:00 and with that as an exception I am doing laundry every two days and have only 17 fitted diapers, though want more. I use the the disc in a dry pail and have the bag from Wal Mart that folks mentioned, it gets washed each time I wash the diaps.

I am so new to this so my opinion does not count too much but I do love him in his cloth diapers. I figure I have spent about $250 so far, and really could get away with not spending another penny till he is almost 25 lbs if I had to.

parkersmama
04-25-2003, 04:14 PM
I think PUL stands for Poly Urethane Laminate and yes, it's the waterproofing that's done to fabrics for some covers, AIOs, and pail liners.