PDA

View Full Version : How many cloth wipes do you keep ready?

sparkeze
04-24-2003, 06:24 PM
I feel like whenever I prepare a batch of cloth wipes DS doesn't poop. And whenever I decide that I'll just use plain water on them and prepare them as needed he goes on a pooping frenzy!

So how many wipes do you keep ready if you use plain water or some kind of wipes solution? How long can they sit before you should prepare a new set?

And - how frequently do your babies poop? Some days DS doesn't poop, other days he poops like 5 times! Thus, the inconsistency with using up prepared wipes I suppose.

Thanks! :)

gravymommy3
04-24-2003, 07:11 PM
I wish I could answer this for you but I have not yet made the transition to cloth wipes yet. Sorry!

Calmegja
04-24-2003, 07:55 PM
I keep 20 upstairs, and 20 downstairs, each with a squirt bottle of solution ready to squirt on the wipe as needed. I have something lke 60 wipes all together. That's too many....but I overbought....

I tried keeping them premade (making the solution, pouringit over the wipes, and keeping it by the changing stations), but he's in a flailing stage, and it kept getting kicked over. So we're in a minimal liquids available setup right now.....

But anyways, that works for us, quite well....

egoldber
04-24-2003, 07:59 PM
I prepare a whole wipes container worth at a time. Since I use mainly thin terrycloth wash cloths, it's probably like 12-18 at a time? I put 5 drops of tea tree oil in the bottom of the empty container, fill the container about 1/3 full with tap water and add the wipes. Sometimes I need to add a bit more water to get all the wipes wet. It takes about 10 seconds to do and I probably do this every other day. I never run out of wipes and the wipes never smell bad since I use them up within a couple days.

I have 2 empty wipes containers that I use, one that I keep the current wet batch in and one that I store the clean ones in after they come out of the dryer. I just rotate between the two containers. Now, I am a flargrant over wipes user. I have been known to use 5 wipes on a poop! (That's one reason I feel better using cloth wipes.) I have 4 dozen wipes (got most of them on the $1 clearance table at Baby Depot in packages 5/$1 ) and that works really well for me.

HTH,

C99
04-24-2003, 08:50 PM
I usually keep about 20 wipes in the wipes warmer next to the changing table. It is sometimes more or sometimes less, depending on how I am doing on diaper laundry, although I actually just bought more wipes b/c I sometimes run out of wipes before I run out of diapers. Anyway, I put a bit of apricot or lavender oil, 2 shots of eucalyptus/lemon liquid soap and water in a peri bottle and use that to fill the wipes warmer box. Then I try to add another peri bottle full of water -- sometimes right then or sometimes as I go. I do dipes and wipes every 3 days or so.

bnme
04-25-2003, 06:43 AM
The wipes don't get funny or cold sitting out? I keep mine dry and have to remember to fill up a little basin in the bathroom and carry to nursery before the diaper change. A mild inconvienience. Prepared ones would be easier, but I am worried about mildew or something. But based on what you ladies said, I think I will try!

parkersmama
04-25-2003, 04:10 PM
So you like using the oil? I love the way the apricot oil from Burt's Bees smells but I wasn't sure about using it with the wipes. What sort of liquid soap do you use...is it just a standard variety or something you bought special? I'm still figuring out how I'm going to handle the wipes thing. Like Beth, I am a flagrant over-wiper! Dh can clean up a poop with one or two but it takes me 3 or 4 even for a "clean" poop! LOL!

emilyf
04-25-2003, 04:53 PM
I was having the same problem (I also have an inconsistent pooper), so now I just use a squirt bottle filled with water. I squirt some on the wipe (I bought a big batch of washcloths at Sams) and am good to go. I may try adding some apricot oil for the hell of it, but this system couldn't be easier.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

csa12
04-25-2003, 05:42 PM
I like using the oil for the awesome smell. For my cloth wipe solution I added a squirt of Aveeno Baby wash, a couple of drops of apircot oil and hot water and change it every day. It leaves DS's bottom clean and sweet smelling. I also leave my cloth wipes dry until use. I have 24 cloth wipes now but am finding that I need more!

Have fun experimenting,
Cheryl :)

mama2be
04-25-2003, 06:50 PM
I need to make the leap...I bought 24 velour wipes pre Tristan and just can't imagine it yet but need to take the plunge. I too use a lot of wipes and so love the Costco ones. Tristan is 2 months today and I am just now coming to the end of my first bought box at $12.

C99
04-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I use Essential Oils liquid hand soap in the lemon/eucaltyptus variety. I bought it a local apothecary shop, because I don't like buying many commercial liquid soaps. I dislike their chemical fraqrance and/or antibacterial agents. I didn't buy it specifically to use on my wipes, however, so I'm sure that you could use the standard variety of liquid soap and it would work just fine.

I don't use a lot of oil so it's just a hint of fragrance. I bought a sample kit of Baby Bee's stuff from the same apothecary and I didn't know how to use it so I just decided to add it to the wipes solution one day. If I think that I won't go through a lot of wipes that week (i.e., planning to use 'sposies for one reason or another), I'll also add some Tea Tree Oil to the wipes solution. I find that in the wipes warmer, everything dries out quickly so I don't necc. need to use the TTO to prevent decay.