PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Hemp!

gravymommy3
04-26-2003, 04:34 PM
We have had a string of dry nights (and dryer days) thanks to hemp prefolds. I am finally figuring out what works for us and what doesn't. I love my Bummis SWW and not really liking the Bumkins vented (they just are so much thinner and don't feel as good to me.) I am even able to use a Snappi on the hemp PFs. Only problem with the hemp is everytime I mention using it to DH, he accuses me of being a pothead :)

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me figure this out. I am on my to try some wool covers for night and maybe getting a couple more Liz cloth hemps and hopefully I will be done spending (yeah, right!!)

Edit to add:

Can anyone give me any input on Crickett's Hemp diapers and Cuddlebuns hemp? I have a Liz cloth. Are there any others out there that are worth looking at? Which ones do you like best and why? Thanks!!

mama2be
04-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Amy I have nothing to compare them to but am only using Cricketts...you might want to read Momof3labs recent post about Cricketts so that you know alittle about what I am referring to here. BUT I have to say they have exceeded my expectations as far as fit and softness. There is a doubler that is snapped in them (comes with it not an extra purchase) but it is wrinkly on the sides. THIS IS A DEFECT WE HAVE BEEN ASSURED...and her previous ones were not known to have had this. Crickett has impressed me with trying to fix this and assures me I will be getting new doublers. If that the case I will probably be Crickett exclusive. On diaperpin she had excellent ratings from 14 out of 14 people who rated her diapers so I went by that...

I know that does not totally answer yor question...

gravymommy3
04-26-2003, 06:46 PM
It does indeed help. I saw on diaperpin fsot board someone who had 6 larges for sale for $60 and that seemed reasonable, but I was concerned about the problems with them. But I can live with a little bit wrinkly (I think!). Does it affect performance?

Thanks

Momof3Labs
04-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Amy, ask if they are the older version of her diapers (rainbow thread stitched in the order: red, gold, green, blue); if so, go for it - those doublers worked great! If they are the new version (rainbow thread stitched in the order: red, green, yellow, blue) then wait because these have the wrinkly doublers.

gravymommy3
04-26-2003, 07:29 PM
she claims they are older (pre-February). Do the wrinkle affect performance or are they just a pain?? Thanks

egoldber
04-26-2003, 08:41 PM
I also love my hemp prefolds. They are just perfect for nighttime. I am having a bit of trouble using the Snappi on mine, sometimes it catches and sometimes it doesn't. So I have been using pins, which isn't so bad. The only thing is that the weave of the hemp is so dense that even the pin has a hard time getting through!

gravymommy3
04-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Today when I was out and about was the first time the snappi wanted to give me trouble. I finally got it to grab, but there is no way I can do pins. My little helpers would stab each other with them and Hayden is a wiggleosaurs so there would be major blood loss by someone. If I get desperate, I will just fold it and throw it in a bummis sww and pray it stays put!! Thanks to you (I think), I gotta try the Polar babies one!! Though I am very happy with the babykicks seconds. Ugh, will it ever end??? Can you say "No control?"

egoldber
04-26-2003, 08:54 PM
LOL!! I know what you mean. I was SO proud of myself, I am downsizing my stash to be lean and only having things that I really need and use. So what do I do? I start buying every type of hemp prefold on the planet!!!! :)

Edited to add: I just wanted to add, have you thought about trying a toddler size CPF? They are much larger than premium CPFs. They work almost as well as a hemp prefold for nighttime and are a fraction of the cost.

HTH,

csa12
04-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi Amy!

Do your pre-folds stay dry on the outside, or are they soaked through when you change diapers? I ask this on another post so forgive me for repeating, but I thought it was the norm for the CD's to be soaked through . . .

Also did you boil your hemp pre-folds to prep them?

Thanks for bearing with my questions! But you've gotten me so excited about hemp!

Cheryl :)

gravymommy3
04-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Cheryl,

First, I did not boil them. Just washed them 4 times in a row (without drying in between - prob. was supposed to do that but I was just too darn lazy), then dried them, then washed them one more time. Used hot (but my hot water is not that hot cause of the kiddies and I don't have a clue how to turn it up or down). I am trying to think about how wet they are. I usually put a doubler in her diapers because I don't want to deal with dripping urine, kwim? Most of the time, the doubler is soaked and the prefold is wet on one side. If urine goes through, it is never a big area. I mean, this absorbancy issue may all be in my head, but I think that they work great for us.

Matter of fact, I am seriously considering getting rid of all but 5 of my CPFs and just going with the hemp prefolds.

I really like my Liz cloth hemp fitted also. She went 13 hours in it last night. It was soaked when I took it off this morning, but with the Bummis SWW cover, no lake in the bed. Yea!!!!

HTH

Momof3Labs
04-27-2003, 04:51 PM
The wrinkle is a pain, and for me, affects performance. It makes the doublers much more bulky, so they don't lay nicely in the diaper and I can't fold them in half to give Colin the extra absorbency he needs in the front. And since they don't lay nicely, I suspect that they are a little uncomfortable for him.

But if those are older diapers, then I would go ahead and do it - the older ones were great dipes (and if you hate them, I may take them off of your hands)!

gravymommy3
04-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lori,

If I find that I don't need six, I'll let you know! I just hope they get here soon - I have absolutely zero patience!!