PDA

View Full Version : New to CDing, ? about absorbancy...

muskiesusan
04-26-2003, 08:39 PM
I am going to try CDing full time with Nicholas, who is 18 months, due to his ever present diaper rash. I ordered a sample package from naturalbabies to test a few out, but here's my dilemna. We think that Nicholas' rash is due mainly to a sensitivity to urine (we have changed his diet and change him frequently, among other things, but nothing is helping). My sister, who has cd'd, thinks because of this I should stick mainly to FuzziBunz with Joeybunz inserts because of how well they absorb and keep moisture away. Are they the best, or is there another kind that work just as well? Due to the cost of FuzziBunz I am hesitant to use them exclusively.

Also, I am curious as to how often do you change your baby's diaper?

Thanks for your help. With all the choices I am becoming very overwhelmed, and trying not to break the bank by sampling everything. I have read most of the posts, and you ladies are so helpful!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

egoldber
04-26-2003, 08:48 PM
I would try making your own fleece liners and using those with ALL diapers. That should have the same effect as using a FB at a fraction of the cost.

When we first switched to cloth (DD was 14 months) she got a few rashes until I learned about fleece liners and taught myself to change more frequently. I could easily go 3-4 hours in a disposable, but with cloth I need to change about every 2 hours.

HTH,

gravymommy3
04-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Susan,

I cannot speak to the rash (except to say that maybe his rash is from the chemicals in the disposible diapers, so maybe straight urine is not the culprit). I am brand-new to CDing, but over the last 9 days, I have discovered the joy of hemp prefolds and Joeybunz. I do not have a FuzziBunz (just have not made that jump yet), but my almost-18-monthold can pee a river!! She has yet to pee through a hemp pf and a JB inside a cover (I personally am liking the Bummis SWW). Today, I let her go with just a JB inside the cover cause everything else was in the wash and it was not a problem.

The other day, I changed her 12 times (seems like every time I put a fresh diap on her, she let loose!) Today has been better (like maybe 8 or 9). I admit I was a slacker when she was in sposies and did not change her like I should (Bad Mommy!!) But I have changed my ways with the CDs. Why don't you get a FB, a few JBs (cause you can use them with other "systems") and some hemp prefolds and some plain covers and see what happens?

I understand how overwhelmed you feel. I just jumped in and started buying and right now I have 40 CPFs that I am hardly using.

(If anyone needs some, please let me know - I will sell cheap!)

Sorry for that aside! I do like the Bummis SWW (I want to get a couple with the cute prints). I don't really like my Bumkins (they just feel cheap compared to the Bummis), and I am going to try some Bumpy Wool covers for night.

Feel free to pick my brain for what little knowledge resides there!

Good luck and I hope that CDing clears that rash up!!!

Karenn
04-27-2003, 12:14 AM
I took Beth's suggestion of making my own fleece liners and I've been amazed at how effective they are. They really do keep the moisture away from DS. If you're reluctant to spend the money on FB, this could be a good way to go. I change Colin every couple of hours or whenever he's poopy, whichever comes first.

Melanie
04-28-2003, 01:31 AM
I change every 2 hours give or take and I always have to have synthetic fleece next to my son's skin. He spent the first 14 months in disposables so it's not use to the urine next to it. He gets little red dots even if he's changed immediately, if the fabric next to his skin doesn't wick away the moisture. Most of our diapers are fleece-topped, but I have a few simple fleece liners for those that aren't and they work just as well. Just make sure to never use fabric softner on them.