PDA

View Full Version : CDers: Doubler question

C99
04-26-2003, 08:48 PM
For those of you who CD, when did you start needing doublers or soakers in your dipes? Nathaniel is now 3-mos and has been soaking his Kissaluvs through, espec. at night. Should I start adding a doubler?

egoldber
04-26-2003, 08:52 PM
I think it depends on the diaper and if your baby is a heavy wetter. I mainly use CPFs, and Motherease Onesize and Sandies. I never use a doubler with any of those, except at night. I use a doubler with an AIO if I am going out of the house.

Kissaluvs, while a wonderful diaper, are not the most absorbant. Are you using size 0 or size 1? You may need to move to 1's if still in the 0's. If you are already in 1's, then a doubler is probably in order.

HTH,

mama2be
04-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Now I know I am new to all of this...but I doubt Tristan could be CD'd without a doubler. Since we are using Cricketts it is built in BUT his diapers are all the way thru most of the time. No pee has ever escaped the cover though, but when I remove the cover the diap is soaked. I fleece it so it appears dry next to him. I enjoy Cding but would enjoy it more if I removed the cover and it was not wet on the outside of the diap...(I assumed that was the norm)

EDited to say I don't think it even possible for us to CD at night, and I so wish I could. I feel if I use the arguement that I don't want that gel stuff up against him then I should be true and not have it up against him. But I honestly don't feel I have a choice...Maybe with more washings of the CDs I think we are on number 5...or I wonder does he just pee more than norm???

natividad
04-27-2003, 07:34 AM
In terms of CDing at night, I hear you! This is VERY challenging. I have been experimenting to see what works for us. But, I REALLY would like to find a system which works at night since DS is sleeping a bit longer these nights. I definitely cannot use my size 0 or contour Kissaluvs at night - just hasn't worked. What did work was my small ME Sandy with a doubler. I also just got my FB sample, so we will see...

Naty

egoldber
04-27-2003, 07:53 AM
If Tristan is peeing through his daytime diaper and a doubler in a couple hours, then those are definitely not going to work for him at night. On the Mothering board, I have read that the Cricketts diapers need MANY washings on hot to reach full absorbancy and that soem folks needed to turn up their hot water heaters to do it.

I've tried lots of different things at night, but the most reliable nighttime system I have found is a prefold. I can use one hemp prefold, two "normal" prefolds, or a normal prefold and a JoeyBunz and go the whole night. And this is even after she has 2-3 8 ounce water sippies in the evening! I used to love my FuzziBunz at night, but I was getting to many leaks, so I have relegated them to daytime use.

HTH,

natividad
04-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Beth, do you also use your fleece liners along with the JB at night? TIA.

Naty

Momof3Labs
04-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Colin pees through Crickett's in a couple of hours, too. But we are now successfully CD'ing at night! Granted, he sleeps through the night, and isn't nursing/eating during the night. But a Fuzzibunz stuffed with two Joeybunz and one Mom-and-Me Creations hemp doubler (folded in half and tucked up front) has not leaked on us yet. If you go this route, make sure that your hemp is properly prepared before using it at night (boiled or washed on hot enough times).

This works so well that I just went and ordered a couple more Fuzzibunz!

egoldber
04-27-2003, 08:51 AM
I do use a fleece liner at night also in a FB because Sarah STILL poops at night 1-2 nights a week. Very icky!

nohomama
04-27-2003, 09:01 AM
Neve,

I'm no hemp expert (I'm expecting my first and pobably only hemp dipes from Sugarpeas in the next week) but I'm wondering if it might help to soak your Crickets in boiled water. I'm not talking boiling them in a pot (a no-no because of the snaps) but rather filling a sink with boiled water, letting them soak awhile, and then putting them through a hot cycle in your washing machine. Just a thought...

nohomama
04-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Lola was only in cloth at night until somewhere between 6-9 months when she started sleeping for longer stretches and Dan and I were no longer actually waking-up to feed & change her. It's definitely possible to cloth diaper a kid at night but I didn't have the money or time to search for a system that would work for us after our current arsenal of possibilities failed. I hope you're successful where we weren't.

csa12
04-27-2003, 09:17 AM
So Cd's are NOT supposed to be wet on the outside after you take the cover off? I thought that being soaked through was the norm too. Is this true for both pre-folds as well as fitteds?

I use kissaluvs for fitteds and wonder how many more washings it will take to get them to stay dry on the outside.

I may try Sandies at night b/c a lot of people seem to have good luck with them.

Cheryl :)

egoldber
04-27-2003, 09:26 AM
I would say that usually when I change Sarah, the part of the diaper that receives the brunt of the pee (the middle to front third) is soaked through. That is, the diaper is wet to the touch in those areas. But the diaper is not usually soaked front to back and through and through, except over night. And even overnight, that isn't normally the case except when she has had a number of sippies before bed.

If your baby is completely saturating the diaper, then you need to change more often, use a doubler or a more absorbant diaper and/or doubler. Or some combination of all of those. Not very helpful, sorry! :(

HTH,

Melanie
04-28-2003, 01:26 AM
I don't like a diaper to be soaked to the waist. I, of course, prefer they are not wet to the outside, but most are with my 17 mo. I noticed once I added doublers they do not soak to the waist, just the area of concentration.

sparkeze
04-28-2003, 12:04 PM
We've been successful with a few different nighttime combos. Fuzzi bunz with either 3 joeys or 1 joey and a premium cpf has worked, also either mom&me fitteds w/a rainfold or joey or infant cpf, and darling diapers pocket fitted w/matching insert + rainfold or joey or infant cpf, either of those combos with an aristocrats. Sorry, I'm holding a sleeping baby! Does that all make sense?

DS still nurses 4-6 times during his 11 hour nighttime stretch and his diaper is about 75% wet in the morning. We stopped using FB because they leaked sometimes due to the poor thigh fit and it's a pain to wake up to a wet bed and inevitably I end up sleeping on the wet spot! :( I think the trick is to start with a LOT of absorbancy and go down from there.

As for doublers, we don't use them unless they snap into the diaper. Most diapers get wet on the outside, but only in the front. When I let DS go w/o a cover I usually pat the front of his diaper and when it's damp I change him. He's a frequent little at a time pee-er so i would have to change him every half hour during some times of the day but other times he doesn't pee for a couple hours.