PDA

View Full Version : Considering CD, but I have a few questions

em_jon98
04-26-2003, 09:14 PM
I am considering switching over to CD from Pampers. I'm just tired of spending so much money on diapers that just get thrown out. We would only be CD'ing part time, as DD is in daycare three days a week and must use disposables there. I have read through a lot of the posts, but I have a few questions:

1) If you use a prefold with a cover (I'm assuming that fitteds snap shut), do you still need to pin the diaper shut under the cover?

2) When you say "dry pail" does that mean that you leave the diapers in an airtigh pail, until you wash them, without any type of soap or solution? Is it recommened to use a stain remover on the really messy ones? Do you put some kind of deoderant cake in the pail? Can you line it with a regular garbage bag or should it really be lined with a specially made bag?

3) I'm still trying to sell DH on the idea of switching. I don't want to spend alot until I am sure he will jump on the wagon. What should I absoultely buy to try this out and make it appealing to him? (He is pretty helpful and able. Not at all the stereotypical non-helping father. I just need to push him over the edge a little bit.) I would like to have about one days worth of diapers to try.

My daughter is almost 11 months, and was 29 5/8" (95th %) and 17# 13 oz (25 %) at her nine month checkup. She is a lean baby, no really chubby parts anywhere.

TIA
Emily and Lindsey 6/13/2003

egoldber
04-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Here are some thoughts:

1) It depends on the cover. With velcro style covers (like Bummis, Bumkins, Proraps, Motherease Rikki wraps) you can use a prefold without using a pin or snappi. (See these sites for illustrations: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm and http://pages.ivillage.com/ulrikedg/id4.html ) I prefer to use a snappi, since i have a problem with the prefold sort of scrunching down in front if I don't fasten it.

2) I use a dry pail. I do no rinsing, no soaking, etc. I use liners in my diapers. If she poops, I dump the poop in the toilet. If it was a bit messy, I use some toilet paper to help get some of the extra "bits" off the diaper. Then the whole thing goes in the diaper pail as is. Come wash day, it all goes in the washer and they all come out clean. :) I promise this works!!

I don't use any deoderizing disks and my pail does not smell when the lid is closed. You don't have to use a liner in the pail, but I find it makes it easier to carry the dirty diapers around.

3) I would buy a couple samplers and give it a whirl. Two samplers should give you about a days worth (6-8 diapers). DH's usually prefer AIOs or pocket diapers (like FuzziBunz or Happt Heinies).

HTH,

em_jon98
04-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Thanks a lot!
The links were very helpful. I still have a little more research to do, but that answered a lot more of my unasked questions.

Emily

em_jon98
05-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Beth,
I was reading one of your old posts, and I have another question for you. Can you use the JoeyBunz inserts without the FuzziBunz? I was going to order one to try but the sizes on NaturalBabies were corresponding with the FuzziBunz. I wasn't sure what size to order to use without the FuzziBunz.

Thanks,
Emily

egoldber
05-01-2003, 07:47 AM
I use Joeys with everything! :)

I have three sizes of Joeys and find the medium to be the most versatile. I add them as a doubker to AIOs when going out, as extra in my nighttime diapers, etc.

HTH,

Kate888
05-01-2003, 09:38 AM
I love to use fleece topped JBs with my Bumkins AIOs!! Perfect quick on/off combination!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

gravymommy3
05-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Emily,

I vote "Go for it!" I am new to this but in the short time I have been doing this I have learned a lot (or so I think!!)

First, I have some CPFs that I don't need that I will let go cheap. They are regular premuim size (blue thread) 4x8x4 ply that fit from 10-30 lbs. I paid $2.10 per for them from punkinbutt and got enough to diaper both my DD and DS. Well, DS (who is a challenge to put it nicely) absolutely refuses to wear anything other than a Pamper (no training pants, no big boy undies, nothing!!!), so I have more than I need. These have been washed to quilt them up but have never been on a hiney (I separated out the ones I use from the ones I have never used.) I will sell them for $1.60 plus shipping. If not, no biggie (just trying to help us both out :) )

I can tell you that I like my Bummis SWW covers (except I wish that I had gotten some with the cute prints. I agree with Beth - snappis are the way to go. They are very easy to master and work wonderfully.

I also use a dry pail that is not totally airtight. No deo disk, but I tend to hand-rinse whatever poop remains after I shake (but you don't have to - it's just me!!) I have a bummis liner bag in my pail. No smell problems (yet, knock on wood!!)

Now, about getting DH on the bandwagon. What is cheap to try (the CPFs, snappi, and a cover) is not likely to WOW! DH. It is not that they are horrible, but they are soemthing you have to practice (like figuring out what fold works for you, how to snappi, etc. Don't worry - we will help you.) And it DH is like mine, he likes flashy things that are easy right out of the box. Now, CD has some of those options (AIOs and to a lesser degree, fitteds) but they are more expensive. I would recommend figuring out with the cheaper stuff if you like CDing (cause honestly, you are going to be doing most of the work associated with it no matter how wonderful DH is) and then, if it is for you (and it prob. will be if you are even considering it!!) you can get some of the "fancier" models that will win DH over.

One question: Are you sure that you have to use disposibles for DD at daycare? Can they legally force you? If you like CDing and sent AIOs or fitteds with covers and a bag for them to throw the dirties in, how is that different from changing a sposie? I mean, you still have to wipe pooh off the little hiney with a sposie and it is not like you would be asking them to dunk a dirty diap? Just something to think about.

Sorry this has been so long, but I hope you will give it a try.

edited cause I just can't type and breastfeed at the same time without a few typos!

mamahill
05-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Yahoo! Jump on the bandwagon - it's a fun ride:)!

1. I don't use snappis or pins with my prefolds. Just fold in thirds, put a fleece liner on top, put the whole thing in a prorap or bummis, and stick the whole thing together. That being said, I do have 3 snappis and I'm awaiting delivery of a MotherEase Airflow cover, which is a looser cover, so requires something to hold the diaper on. But you don't NEED pins/snappis.

2. I have a dry pail, haven't used stain remover, use a Bummis liner. I do use a deodrant cake, one of the citrus circles, but only because Colleen (naturalbabies.com) sent one in my first shipment and has me hooked! But you definitely don't need one. (but oh lovely orange smell that I do have!)

3. Dh wasn't thrilled with the prefolds, but LOVES the Fuzzibunz and AIOs. When he saw our first FB, he tried it out and then said, "Order lots of these." I said, "Well, they're a bit more expensive than the prefolds." He said, "But I like these." Nuf said. Our order for 6 more went in that night! Now that we've been doing this for a couple months, though, he is totally game with putting on any diaper.

HTH!

celfsh
05-01-2003, 03:18 PM
LOL! My DH said pretty much the exact same thing about the FBs when we first got them, and he is still a huge fan of them. If it were up to him, we would use all FBs, but I am trying really hard to be good and not spend to much $! That said, after DH figured out you don't have to use a Snappi on a CPF and that you can just lay it in a cover and velcro it on, he is a big fan of those, too!

HTH a little...

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

em_jon98
05-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

I ordered a Motherease into offer (one Onesize, snap in liner and airflow cover). I would also like to try a Motherease Sandy, but I was going to wait until I got everything else to see how it goes. But, the confirmation email said it would be 10-14 days shipping on the intro order, so I may just go ahead and order the Sandy.

I also ordered (from Natural Babies):
2 regular Chinese prefolds
2 premium Chinese prefolds
1 Kissaluv size 2, yellow/unbleached color (would love to have gotten some of the brighter colors, but the avaliable choices were yellow or lime)
1 Kissaluv supersoaker doubler
1 FuzziBunz in baby pink
1 fleece topped JoeyBunz
3 snappis
1 Bummis SWW (white, unfortunately)

I know that I will definately need more covers (I'm hoping that two will get me through until I order more), but I wanted to get a good variety of things to start.

I am now waiting ever so not very patiently for everything to arrive.

Thanks for all of the help!!!! :^)

Emily and Lindsey 6/13/02

em_jon98
05-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Amy,
I might be interested in the prefolds. Email me at [email protected] with the quantity.

Thanks for the other suggestions. DH is sort of on the bandwagon. I ordered a FuzziBunz with him in mind. We will see how it goes. I've decided I'm not giving him a choice, really. We will just keep trying diapers until we find one he likes to use ;^)!

I really like our daycare, and Lindsey is the favored child. I really don't want to push them to do something they don't want to do and make them hate us. I will probably just stick to buying disposables for them, and use the cloth at home.

Emily

egoldber
05-02-2003, 12:09 PM
It can take a long time to get things from Motherease, since they are in Canada. I have gotten things as quickly as 4-5 days and as long as the full 14 days. It just depends.