PDA

View Full Version : CHEMICAL "GEL" IN DIAPERS:WHAT INFO IS OUT THERE ON IT

mama2be
04-26-2003, 10:41 PM
I know the thought of it makes me cringe when it got on Tristan and all which is a big reason I choose to CD. But I'm just curious what do "we" know about it...

Studies, Research...just curious...

todzwife
04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
The mothering board has been discussing this a lot lately. You could probably do a search and turn up a lot of info. The thing i found most interesting was when one of the mama's emailed P&G to get a list of ingredients, they never said what the gel was. Their response was hilarious. Something about *magic* gel crystals or something. I will go do a search and see what I can find. Be right back.
K- here is the link to that thread.
http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54997&highlight=gel
Shandelle :)

csa12
04-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Neve -
I am occasionally using disposables at night and the other day one of my dogs got into a "used" one (gross i know!). Needless to say there was shredded diaper and gel-like "stuff" everywhere on the carpet. I was really nervous about my dog ingesting the gel material so I called Pampers and asked them about it. They said that the stuff is made out of the same materials that gel caps are made out of (like in Tylenol gel caps) and that it was ingestible. They tell parents of kids who may have eaten the material that it should go right through their system and is "harmless".

My dog is ok, and am glad that the gel material was able to "pass" through her system. But I still don't like the idea of that kind of material being in contact with DS's private parts. I find gel balls on him all the time and that bothers me--even though they may be ingestible.

Still sticking to cloth,
Cheryl :)

egoldber
04-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Just an FYI, you may want to move those diapers somewhere your dog can't get into them. On the Mothering board a week or so ago, there was a link to a newspaper article about a dog that died after ingesting a disposable diaper. While it may not per se, by poisonous, it is NOT always passable by a dog, especially if they eat a lot!

csa12
04-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Beth -
I know, I felt terrible about my dog getting hold of it. I usually am better about keeping stuff like that out of the dogs way, but had a mental lapse in this case. I watched her like a hawk for the past couple of days and it seems like she just shredded the dipe and didn't eat any. But you are right better to be safe than sorry!

I am such a bad dog mom sometimes! She's lived through chewed eyeglasses, leather wallets . . . but I am lucky.

Cheryl :)

MartiesMom2B
04-27-2003, 03:04 PM
The gel balls "Salty looking stuff" really disturbs me. Don't know why, but it does. The Pampers response from the mothering board discussions doesn't make it any better. I guess I'm glad that I'm trying out the cloth diapers.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

zen_bliss
04-27-2003, 09:17 PM
'magic crystals'? the same as tylenol? good grief. what a load of 'get the person off the phone and hope her dog doesn't get sick' hooey. the 'gel' used in drug capsules is gelatin, which is digestible (like jell-o -- which for the uninitiated is boiled bovine bone marrow. nice that it's marketed to kids, huh?) polyacrylate gel is a superabsorbant invention, and while i'm sure that it has been tested to not kill in small ingested portions, what i object to is the way that big companies just lie! and smile and say don't worry... until they get sued...

i'm glad your k9 is showing no ill effects!

Melanie
04-28-2003, 01:21 AM
http://www.punkinbutt.com/diaper_drama.html

See the section "Health Issues" if you don't want to read it all.

christic
04-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Here's an interesting article about the design of modern disposables and what exactly is going on in there...published in the New Yorker a couple years ago.

www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_11_26_a_diaper.htm