PDA

View Full Version : What detergents are you using?

natividad
04-27-2003, 01:10 PM
I am getting confused as to which detergents are okay to use with different types of CDs. I have been using All F & C with all my CDs, but now I just ordered a Fuzzi Buns and am reading that All (and other "free" and "clear" detergents) is not recommended. They recommend a not so "gentle" detergent, like Tide, Era, Cheer, Sam's Choice, etc. Yet another CD site recommends the most "natural" detergent possible - Ecover, for example.

Also, how did you wash your Joey Bunz the first time? Would it be okay to boil them along with my unbleached CPFs?

Which detergents are working for you. Do you use just one for ALL of your CD's? Or, do you keep different ones in your laundry room? TIA.

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

Kate888
04-27-2003, 02:29 PM
I've been using regular All for all of my CDs (FBs, JBs, sherpa and velour fitteds etc). It's great! I've never had any stain problems (even when DD had a virus infection). I just soak them for a few hours with 1/4 of recommended amount, then do a cycle with cold water. After that, hot/cold with second rince using the same amount of detergent. I also add a few drops of tea tree oil, but that's it. The simple routine seems to be working very well for us.

For the JBs, I didn't do anything special for the first time, just wash them in hot. I would think it's ok to boil them, since they don't have any snaps on them. Hope others can help you more on that.

I still use All F&C for my other laundries. It's my favorite.

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

egoldber
04-27-2003, 02:31 PM
I used to use All F&C for everything. And I thought it worked just fine. Over Thanksgiving when I was visiting my MIL, I used Tide to wash my diapers because that is what she had. I did think that Tide did a better job, so I switched my diapers to Tide. I have a HUGE bottle of All F&C that I got from Costco that I am ssllloowwwlllyy using up on my clothes. When that is gone, I will just use Tide since it is easier for me to just use one detergent.

But I think that laundry has a lot to do with you water hardness and mineral content. A detergent that works really well for one person, may not work so well for someone else. And part of the key is to use as little detergent as possible. I use about 1/4 of the recommended amount.

With my first batch of Joey, I just washed them in hot and dried on hot a few times and that worked fine. A second set I got I boiled them since I was also boiling some UBCPFs that I had. Both methods worked fine.

HTH,

Calmegja
04-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Allen's Naturally. I purchased Sportswash/Sensiclean, but never had occasion to use it.....

I did however, buy some Biz this weekend, because i keep seeing people rave about it. I haven't needed to use that, either, but I'm prepared! ;-)

mamahill
04-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Tide! I used the Kirkland brand (Costco's) at first, but bought Tide when I had a coupon and it was already on sale. Now I'm going to stick with Tide - I think my dipes smell great!

And I just washed my JB with my UBCPF in SUPER hot about 4 times. I loooooooove my JBs!

Momof3Labs
04-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Cheer Free, here. It seems to be doing fine on my dipes, and I've used it on my clothes for years (10 years or more).

C99
04-27-2003, 05:19 PM
I use Tide as well. It's the only thing my husband isn't allergic to, so it's our "parent and diaper" detergent. I use Target's baby laundry flakes on Nate's clothing.

blnony
04-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I had been using All Free and Clear and ran out. I had a coupon for Tide and I've been using it. I also use baking soda in my wash, and I haven't noticed a difference between All F/C and Tide though. I just go with what I have a coupon for really.

celfsh
04-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Okay, confession time. I have been using...ahem...dare I say it...Western Family! I know, how cheap am I!? (Note to self: must stop blushing :).) I got a huge bucket on sale several months ago and am still working my way through it. So far, I haven't had any problems with it not getting the diapers clean, although I do hear a lot of raves about Tide. Someday, if/when I ever make it through my bucket o' WF, I'm going to try it and see if it makes a difference.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

C99
04-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Celeste,

I have no idea what Western Family is, so I wouldn't have known that it was down-market unless you told me.

celfsh
04-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Hmm...now I REALLY feel stupid! It never occurred to me that Western Family might be a regional brand. I guess the "Western" part should have been a tip-off...

And to think, I confessed my deep, dark secret for nothing...:)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

nathansmom
04-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Celeste- I think Western Family is only regional. The only other state I've seen it in is Idaho. I have to agree with you I buy it because its cheap.

sparkeze
04-28-2003, 11:18 AM
I started out using All Free & Clear but we had a problem with detergent buildup so we switched to Tide Free. We use it for everything, all CDs, clothes. It's been working out well for us thus far...but every now and then I think we're still going to have to strip. We have very hard water!

MelissaTC
04-28-2003, 07:51 PM
I started off with a free and clear detergent but found that I love Tide best. I use regular Tide, the same as the one I use for DH & my clothes. I wash my prefolds and fitteds together. I wash my fuzzi bunz with my covers and AIOs. I use Tide on them all....

natividad
04-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks all for replying to my question.

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03