PDA

View Full Version : Help! Help! Help!

gravymommy3
04-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Ok, the excitement of my (new to me) Crickett's has worn off in a hurry. I put one on Hayden and when I went to change her, the ammonia smell almost knocked me into next week. What do I do? This smell is not coming from her cause all my hemp that I purchased new only smell like teetee when I change her. Should I say something to the woman who sold these to me? She had to have known they smelled like this (unless she lost her nose in some horrible industrial accident:) ). This may be a $62 mistake. Any suggestions are welcomed here.

Momof3Labs
04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Amy,

Have you washed them? I'd suggest washing them a couple of times on hot before calling this a mistake - try to get the diapers clean first! (Do the unused diapers smell, too?)

gravymommy3
04-30-2003, 09:49 PM
The unused ones absolutely do not smell. I even wet one in the sink and it does not smell. But my gosh! the smell when her urine hit it.

I think they need to be stripped (but I am not sure how to do that other than I know they cannot be boiled due to the snaps). What a mess!

Momof3Labs
04-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Weird - I have not had that problem with any of my diapers, including Crickett's, even before washing them on hot.

It sounds to me like the former owner didn't do a good job washing these diapers, but I might be wrong.

Sorry I can't help here!

gravymommy3
04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks for trying. :)

egoldber
04-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Amy it sounds like a bad case of detergent build up. Hemp is especially prone to this since the fibers are so dense and really HOLD detergent residue in. But it can cause exactly that ammonia smell. This often turns into a vicious cycle, since people think the problem is they aren't clean, so they use more detergent and more build-up, etc... Wash them in hot water without detergent and a bit of vinegar and see if you get any suds. If so, then it's definitely build up.

I actually thought I detected a hint of this on my own diapers the other day. DD's diapers seemed to reek a bit more than usual, so I stripped them and it seemed to help. I read this "recipe" on the Mothering board.

Wash on hot with 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda
Wash on hot with 1/2 cup vinegar
Rinse again with no additives
(Don't use any detergent in these washes.)

If the build up is REALLY bad (and it sounds like it might be), you may have to do this a few times.

Good luck!!!

gravymommy3
04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Thank you! Thank you! and Thank you!

Off to do some late night washing!!!!!!

Will keep you posted!