PDA

View Full Version : Nasty little things in baby's room-could it the diaper pail?

natividad
05-01-2003, 12:06 PM
We don't know what is going on in our home, specially in my DS's nursery. For three nights now, we have been bitten by some nasty little insects. They are not mosquitoes as they are almost invisible, but we sure feel their nasty bites eek!

We think they stem from the baby's room so we took out the diaper pail, and I will be cleaning the room thoroughly today to see if that helps. I am a cleaning freak, I swear, but I am not sure where these insects are coming from. Could it be the pail (since it is not air tight - I am doing laundry every three days, by the way). Could it be seasonal? Any suggestions as to how to keep these things at bay? Thanks a LOT!

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

gravymommy3
05-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Naty,

I'm no entemologist (hell, if I even spelled that correctly) but it sounds like what we call no-see-ums. Are they very minute orange specks that hurt like hell when they bite? If so, that is not a cleanliness issue. They just happen. Do you have the windows open? If so, you may have to close them and send all your money to the electric company! What part of the country are you in? I hope I have helped you.

natividad
05-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Ah, those nasty no-see-ums, thanks Amy. I just didn't think of them, being Spring and the fact that it hasn't gotten that warm (yet) here in Arlington, VA. I guess they could be no-see-ums - I remember them all too well from our Caribbean vacations, but I had never experienced them up "north". I hope these nasty bugs aren't something more serious though :-( Thanks again.

Naty

gravymommy3
05-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I hope that is it also (considering how I would hate to have to mail back my bug-identification diploma before the ink is even dry :) ) Good luck!

egoldber
05-01-2003, 04:19 PM
OMG! They have come out full force in my neighborhood here in Fairfax! It was just in the last day or two they have gotten terrible! That's probably what it is!

natividad
05-01-2003, 05:07 PM
OMG Beth thanks for answering this too! I was going crazy trying to think what the little suckers were. And here I was thinking I had contaminated DS's nursery by keeping a dirty diaper pail in his room. Last night was sooooo bad and what made it even worse was the fact that we had a power outrage in our neighborhood at around 11 pm. You can imagine how miserable we were with not being able to run the AC or ceiling fans :-(

Naty