PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Potty Training Help

lukkykatt
05-02-2003, 08:31 PM
My 3 year old has always been resistant to change, and is now challenging me on the potty training front. Shortly after his birthday, I put him in underpants and told him to let me know if he had to go to the bathroom (I thought that would be all there was to potty training!) Well, that ended in a weekend of non-ending laundry for me. He did give it a great try, but at the end of the weekend, started to cry and said he wanted his diaper again.

So, I let it go, and we went back to diapers. Now, I have brought the topic back up again, and have been putting him on the potty in the morning and at night. Usually, nothing happens, but we give him praise and then put him in his diaper. I was wondering if he is too content in his pampers and if I should move him to a heavy duty training pant to make him less comfortable.

Does anyone know if this is a good way to go? If so, what are really good training pants? I have the Gerber ones, and they still leak quite a bit. I was looking at bummis training pants, but they are fairly expensive and I wanted to make sure they would work well before I went ahead and bought them. Any thoughts are appreciated.

PS: I was looking at the Toddler Board already, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there, so I thought I would try here. TIA!

gravymommy3
05-03-2003, 12:10 PM
I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I am not the swiftest in the potty-training department. I am currently battling my 3.5 yo DS about the potty thing. He refuses to wear cloth diapers, big boy undies, training pants. He wants his "real diaper" meaning a pamper. UGGGGHHH! Basically, I just let him run around "commando" and hope like heck he will tell me when he has to go.

Good luck to you (actually to both of us!)

parkersmama
05-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Glad it's not just me!! I can't tell you how many stops and starts we've had potty training Wesley! They tell me that when he's at preschool he just goes along with everyone else (even though that means removing a diaper) but at home he fights me every step of the way. I've been just trying to let him take the lead. He LOVES wearing big boy undies but then won't tell me that he needs to go and argues with me all the time when I say it's time to go. He cries about wearing a diaper but I'm not willing to deal with the undies...especially the poopy ones!!

gravymommy3
05-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Denise,

Avery cries until I put him in a diaper. I have tried buying him undies with all his fav. characters on it, but no dice. And I hear you on the poopy undies. Did that for 5 months with Grayson (maybe that is why a poopy Cd just doesn't faze me...)

How you feeling? Hang in there.

parkersmama
05-03-2003, 06:09 PM
I have no idea what the solution is to this problem! I'm frustrated with it, though, and giving up until after the baby comes and things settle down a little. Our neighbors just potty-trained their son (same age as Wesley) and they basically got rid of every diaper in the house, told him "too bad", and made him sit on the potty til he went each time. Sounds like a version of hell to me! But, it DID work and he's now wearing undies and not having accidents.

I'm hanging in. Feeling okay other than my feet/ankles and some occasional hard contrax. I've started having "pitting" on my feet and ankles. I've never had it before even though I've had swelling. My BP has been fine though so I'm wondering if I need to call the dr. just to tell them. What do you think?

gravymommy3
05-03-2003, 07:34 PM
I would definitely let them know about the pitting. Don't freak out about it but do let them know! And don't worry about the potty training. Remeber, Avery is older than Wesley and not trained!!

lukkykatt
05-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know it's not just me. My parents make a point of telling me whose kids still aren't potty trained, which means they are taking a survey behind my back! And most of my friends have girls, who were no problem at all.

We already have underwear with every character there is, so I will save the $$$ on the heavy duty training pants. I did, however, go to the library and get some potty training books instead.