PDA

View Full Version : How weird is this?!

mamahill
05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
So for the past couple days, I've gone to change Ainsleigh after it has been a couple days, and her diaper has been dry. And I KNOW it's dry bc it's cloth. So today I thought I'd try something. I stuck her on the toilet and said, "Can you go potty like a big girl?" She looked at me, grinned, and away she went! I thought it was hilarious, but a fluke. Now I'm not saying it's habit, but she did it AGAIN this evening. I am so amused. I'm giggling and clapping. The little thing can't even WALK, let alone pull down her own pants, but I'm thinking we're going to go get a potty chair for her to sit on. I generally let her see me "going" and tell her, 'This is what big girls do,' but never thought she might understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going out and buying underwear for her, I'm just amused at this whole episode. Watch, she won't actually potty-train until she's 4...

Yay, another thing for me to research! Maybe I get to buy Toddler Bargains now?!

mama2be
05-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Sarah I don't know anything about potty training BUT I'd encourage her as much I can!!! I'd buy her a potty chair, clap buy balloons and seize her attetnion on this front while she has it!!!! You know this wouldn't be happening if you hadn't spent money on adorable cloth diapers and actually started enjoying diapering her :):):)

Way to go Ainsleigh!!!

egoldber
05-02-2003, 09:17 PM
This actually happened with a couple babes in my playgroup. Right around when they turned one, they tinkled in the potty and thought it was the greatest thing. They then very promptly lost all interest!

So don't eBay those diapers yet!!

Personally, I would rather change diapers until Sarah was 5 than have to change a pair of poopy pants!!!! Icky icky icky!!!

mamahill
05-02-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm definitely NOT selling those diapers yet - LOL! I was just too amused at how surprised she looked, and pleased! And true about the poopy pants... yick!

And there are so many diapers I haven't bought yet that I really want. I talked to my friend who has the "in" at SOS and she said the woman has been swamped, but emailed my friend to say that she would email her in the next couple weeks and get her next order. And my friend offered to include me on her order... so who knows, maybe I'll get one of the holy grail diapers!

But I'm still eyeing potty chair aisle... and the balloons and clapping will be out, en masse, when she DOES succeed in bestowing the bowl with her stuff!

gravymommy3
05-02-2003, 10:20 PM
UUUGGGHHHH! on the poopy pants. Little Miss Grayson, for some reason, could not figure out how to go #2 on the potty for 5, count 'em, 5 months after she tee-tee trained, so I got to change at least one poopy pant mess per day while I was pregnant with Hayden. I wanted to go into the witness protection program!! Maybe that is why Hayden's poopy diapes don't even faze me...

stillplayswithbarbies
05-02-2003, 10:50 PM
This sounds almost like EC. Do a websearch on something called EC "Elimination Communication". Very interesting stuff.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Melanie
05-03-2003, 02:07 AM
>UUUGGGHHHH! on the poopy pants. Little Miss Grayson, for
>some reason, could not figure out how to go #2 on the potty
>for 5, count 'em, 5 months after she tee-tee trained, so I
>got to change at least one poopy pant mess per day while I
>was pregnant with Hayden. I wanted to go into the witness
>protection program!! Maybe that is why Hayden's poopy
>diapes don't even faze me...

Oh no! We're waiting to TTC #2 until Ds is out of diapers b/c there's no way I want to plan to handle poop on a 1st trimester tummy. I guess I may have longer than we thought!

Mommy to Jonah

parkersmama
05-03-2003, 02:47 PM
That's great! At least a small step in the right direction! I know most people won't agree with this but I recommend that you don't waste time and money on a little potty. We had one with Parker and it was such a pain. The hole is so small that they often miss, it has to be cleaned all the time so it doesn't smell, and you still have to transition them to the big potty. With Wesley we have just used the big potty from the start and it's been a lot better. You can buy a seat to fit the regular toilet to make the hole smaller if you like and that sort of helps. Also, having a stool handy so she can climb up alone might be helpful. Anyway, this is obviously just my opinion but I thought I'd share since it came up!

C99
05-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Have you thought about Elimination Communication? It's a bit too "granola" for me, but a friend of mine has been doing the potty thing with her 5-month-old since she was Nate's age.

mamahill
05-04-2003, 11:01 PM
I've never heard of it, but after you and Karen have mentioned it, I'm going to go look it up. Hmmm... Thanks!

Calmegja
05-05-2003, 07:50 AM
I don't practice full out elimination communication, but my freshly minted 1 year old makes it so obvious when he's about to go poop, that I have been known to sit him on the potty to "catch" it. We have a potty chair out, because we just trained the three year old ( 2 weeks all dry/no accidents!!!)....

Last week, I only had to change one poopy diaper, because it was easy for him to "tell" me. And by tell, he stops whatever he's doing, stands up, and then starts yelping for me. Pretty easy. I've never had another kid do that.

However, if I had to work at it, or chase him around and have him do that all the time, it wouldn't happen. It's just the poop thing. There's a whole EC board at Mothering. A lot of those women go diaper free. I admire it, but I couldn't do that. I'm not brave enough.

DH, by the way, has now started to think I'm insane....;-)