PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newly CDing mom

marit
05-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Gals,

When my DD pees in her CD's (been using them half time for about 2 weeks now) it smells like rust. (All my CD's for now have fleece against her skin like FB). Any idea what I'm doing wrong or is that's the smell they're supposed to have? Also, my JB become stiffer and stiffer after every wash (I hang everything to dry - maybe that’s the problem???)

So far I like it a lot, and have ordered some Sandy's too (so far it's been only AIO's). But I had 2 night's disasters so we went back to disposables at night :-(

Thanks,
Marit

blnony
05-04-2003, 03:42 PM
It could be your washing routine? How are you washing everything?
Also, I dry all my fitteds, doublers, liners, etc. (basically everything that doesn't have PUL). I think the heat from the dryer will help your hemp get "seasoned."

marit
05-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I do a pre wash with cold water, than add detergent (Tide or Costco brand) and do a heavy cycle wash on hot with an extra rinse option. So far I only have like 6 diapers so the machine is nearly empty when I do this.

Marit

blnony
05-04-2003, 05:33 PM
You might want to try stripping the diapers. Then, when you wash, use just a small (very small) amount of detergent in your wash and about 1/4 cup of baking soda and a very small amount of vinegar in the rinse.
To strip, do a hot wash with only a small amount of baking soda (not detergent) and vinegar in the rinse. Then do a hot wash with nothing added at all. Put everything that isn't PUL into the dryer and let it dry. This should help, if build up is the problem. Also, if you do a search in this forum, Beth had a thread about stripping diapers that might help too.
Good luck,

gravymommy3
05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Marit,

Don't give up on the nighttime diapering. It can be done. Our first few nights, we were swimming!!! I am now using a Bummis SWW cover and either a hemp fitted or a hemp prefold with a hemp doubler and DD is dry in the am! Good luck.

Kate888
05-04-2003, 07:31 PM
I agree with Brianna, the heat from the dryer will soften your hemp doublers. If you prefer to hang dry non-hemp diapers, maybe try throwing them into the dryer for about 10 minutes at the end to "fluff" the diapers a little.

Night time diapering is a little challenging, but can be done!! We use Happy Heiny's with 3 JBs for night. So far it's been great! Just remember to wash them in hot and dry in hot for the first couple times to seal the PUL. After that, just wash in warm and hang dry. Another solution for us is ME Sandy's with 1 regular JB and 1 fleece topped JB, using the Airflow cover. You'll soon find a system that works for your baby!!

Good luck :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

lisams
05-04-2003, 08:37 PM
You know, come to think of it I have noticed that sometimes when I hang dry our dipes outside they tend to have a rusty smell. Maybe you could try drying them in the drier to see if that's what is doing it. And my JD are usually a little stiffer when they are hung dry so I usually end up sticking them in the drier to soften them a little.

Good Luck!
Lisa

marit
05-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Thanks!

I have dried my JB's in the drier and they came out soft! Now for the rusty smell, it is only when the diaper is wet (but not soiled). Could it be the cream that I'm using? I am not using Desitin and the ingredients didn't say fish oil (it's a brand sold at whole food, can't remember the name). What are you using?

egoldber
05-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Do you have really hard water? It could be minerals in your water, combined with detergent reacting with the urine.

HTH.

blnony
05-05-2003, 08:12 AM
I use Burt's Bee Diaper Cream for the most part. We've been having some rash problems because of a stomach bug and I've been using triple paste. Give the baking soda a chance to work and that might help the smell.

marit
05-05-2003, 12:49 PM
So I put in some baking soda together with the detergent?

Calmegja
05-05-2003, 02:47 PM
I put the baking soda in with the soak cycle, spin the water out, and then do with my wash routine. Everybody uses it differently, but what I do is a pretty common use of the baking soda........ ;-)

blnony
05-05-2003, 05:34 PM
I put the baking soda in with my first wash along with my detergent. This is the cold wash. Sometimes I let it soak for a couple of hours or overnight, if I don't have time I don't worry about it. They I do a hot wash with only a small bit of baking soda and a downey ball with vinegar. So far its worked great.

marit
05-05-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't know if the water here are considered hard. I guess they are...

Marit

egoldber
05-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Sometimes this info is on your water bill. Or if your water company has a website, it will be there. Or their customer service department can help you. Many people with VERY hard water have a hard time fine tuning their washing routine.

Good luck!!