PDA

View Full Version : Questions about CD pail liners

mommyj
05-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi!
I've been reading through old threads about pail liners, but I still have a few questions. I'm planning to buy 2 of the 28 qt. sterilite cans several of you recommended to other new CD moms--one to use upstairs and one to use downstairs. I'm also planning to buy the Bummis pail liner, but I have a few questions.
1) Do you wash your pail liner along with your diapers? I'm just wondering, because the Bummis liners are bright colors, so I'm worried the color might bleed.
2) Is there any difference between a Bummis liner and a regular nylon liner? Are there any other liners you would recommend?
3) How many liners do I need for 2 pails? Do I need extras?
4) Is $12 a good price for the large Bummis liner?

Thanks,
Jami
(due 7/31/03)

celfsh
05-06-2003, 12:24 PM
I do not use a Bummis bag, although I have heard that a lot of people like them. I just bought one of those nylon bags that people use to store sleeping bags ($3.99 at Target) and it works fine. I throw it in the washing machine with the diapers whenever I do laundry. It is a dark grey, but the color has never bled. So far, I only have one bag, but I would like to get another to rotate while the other one is in the wash. Ideally, I think you should probably have two bags per diaper pail.

HTH a little! Just my two cents...

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

C99
05-06-2003, 12:42 PM
I don't use the sterilite cans or the Bummis bin liners, but I do use a red Bummis bag to store my CDs when I am out of the house. I wash that with my diapers and wipes and nothing in the batch has turned pink yet.

HTH

mommyj
05-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your message. Is your nylon bag pretty leak-proof? I just want to double check, because I'll have to carry one bag of dirty diapers upstairs to wash them.

celfsh
05-06-2003, 05:29 PM
I would say so--it does tend to "sweat" a little in the pail, but you should be fine carrying it upstairs. It won't leak or anything like that. Does that answer your question?

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

blnony
05-06-2003, 05:49 PM
I do wash my pail liner with diapers. I have a Bummis tote and a laundry liner bag from Target (found with the clothes pins and ironing boards and stuff). Both work equally fine, except the Bummis tote is a little thicker. And the bag from Target is a little big. Neither have ever leaked on me, but I don't dunk or get my diapers really wet. They both wash fine and the bummis bag is a dark blue and its never faded onto anything. I just wash them with the detergent wash, then I hang them on a rod I have in the laundry room and let them air dry. I have two so I works out great. If you wanted on to carry out of the house with you or put in a diaper bag, you might need a third. And if you had two pails, you would need 5 total, IMO. At first I just used a plastic trashbag, but that was getting too expensive and wasting a good garbage bag.
$12 for the tote is a good price. I think I paid 12.50 or around there.

mommyj
05-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

zen_bliss
05-07-2003, 10:00 AM
one more post -- i love happytushies.com -- her pail liners don't cost that much more than bummis totes and they are customizable and adorable! i bought a wet bag in a red & orange jersey, which i fully expected to bleed at least a little bit (reds are just the worst) but i was amazed that there wasn't the slightest pink tinge after the first wash on hot. (tip -- do a test wash with an orphan sock!) she finishes her fabrics with a color setter that really works.

celfsh
05-08-2003, 12:08 PM
I just came across this site, which has the large Bummis liner for only $8.50.

http://www.littlesproutsdiapers.com/skin_care_&_accessories.htm

Edited to say: free shipping, too!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

mommyj
05-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks! I'll check out both the Happy Tushies site and the Bummis link.

mommyj
05-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi.
I finally decided to go ahead and order two pail liners from Happy Tushies. I bought 2 of the sterilite 28 qt garbage pails, but am not sure which size liner I would need. Would you mind telling me how big your garbage pail is and what size liner you bought. Also, does the outside design of the fabric show outside the pail? I'm thinking if the inside is just plain, I might try to order a larger size so I can fold it up on the outside of the pail.
Thanks!

Kate888
05-23-2003, 08:18 PM
The inside of the Happy Tushies pail liners is just plain white PUL. I have 2 large liners and they fit my 40 (or 44?) qt pail perfectly.

You'll love your HT pail liners. They're gorgeous!!

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

mommyj
05-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks!

Jami

parkersmama
05-27-2003, 09:01 AM
I am using the 28qt Sterilite pail and ordered the regular size Happy Tushies liner and it was too small! It was plenty deep enough but the opening wasn't wide enough to stretch around the opening of the pail. She was great to deal with and I ended up with a large that I love but it did cost me about $8 bucks extra in postage to return the original and have her mail me the new one. It's a great liner but just thought I'd warn you about the problem. Hope you'll see this in time!!

mommyj
05-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the warning! I actually just placed my order, but I bet it's still early enough to change it. Thanks again.